Quad Gigabit SUN PCIe cards

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by colinstu, Jun 22, 2015.

1. colinstu

colinstu 2[H]4U

I recently ended up with a couple of these cards and am curious if anyone has gotten them to work in Windows, or have any ideas on how they could be used.

They weren't detected by pfsense either.

This manual actually mentions Windows support and installation instructions, but I cannot find the files to install it anywhere.
    https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19113-01/x8quad.giga.utp/820-0115-16/820-0115-16.pdf
    The model is also mentioned in there.

Otherwise I need to sell these some how! They go for nothing on ebay too.

2. diizzy

diizzy 2[H]4U

Most likely because they have no drivers outside Solaris (as with many Sun cards), hence the price...
    //Danne

3. rma

rma Limp Gawd

They should work in linux without any problems.

for Windows as far i can see you need to compile and build a installer by yourself

4. cyclone3d

cyclone3d [H]ardForum Junkie

Yep, and even if you do compile the Windows driver, it is not going to be signed.

That is what happens with proprietary hardware. You only get support for the systems it was specifically designed for.

5. x509

x509 [H]ard|Gawd

So as a former (and proud) Sun Microsystems employee, I did some searching and found this website:

http://www.driversdownloader.com/hardware-id/pci/ven_8086&dev_1521

To the OP: try drivers from this source and please keep us posted.

6. rma

rma Limp Gawd

mmmmmmm Sun Microsystems :)
    did i mention my collection of SUN hardware? :)
    IPX, SS4, Ultra 5, Ultra 10 (with SunPCI), Sun fire 100, Sun Enterprise Server E450 (Quad 400MHz 1GB RAM)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  7. Haven

Haven I Only Post Important Stuff

I have a box of SunOS signed by Bill Joy in my garage. I also have an IPX in the garage as well.

I sometimes miss Solaris and SunOS.

8. x509

x509 [H]ard|Gawd

I have a Sun keyboard with the control and capslock keys changed to match a typical PC keyboard. It used to drive me crazy. At home, use one keyboard, at work use a different one for my Sun box.

Yes, I also miss Solaris, but most of all I miss the kind of marketplace where Sun was not just successful but completely dominant. Times change, but Sun didn't. :(

9. rma

rma Limp Gawd

I still use my Ultra 5 and 10, the problem right now is the size of the house i live in, i hope to get a bigger house at some point and be able to have the systems setup :)

We where around 8 who shared a old Sun Server 1000 with 8x50MHz CPU's and 2GB Ram, installed with Solaris 8 and the only thing it was used for was running a bunch of irssi sessions, and some backup for small files.