Quad crossfire = marketing joke

Z

Zinn

I was really hoping for a little more with this Phenom "launch," but obviously that's not happening at this point. I have heard people all over the Interwebz trying to justify it saying "well on 790FX I could do Quad Crossfire."

Okay, ignoring the fact that "Dual" Crossfire doesn't work very well, does anyone honestly believe that ATI could scale four GPUs effeciently? Nvidia tried something like this with the 7950GX2 and it worked in maybe 2 or 3 games and sucked major ass in everything else. ATI has not had as much luck scaling their multi-GPU setups, so I am very skeptical.

Don't get me wrong, I hate to see ATI fail, but don't kid yourself. First off, having four GPUs is ridiculous for a gaming machine. Second, it won't work. Who does AMD think they're kidding?

I agree. How cool would you feel buying a new game that is only using one of your four 250$ cards. I'm with the op though, I wish the best for ati but it's not going to work right.

i think it's more so that they can say they have something that can compete against nvidia's quad-sli. and yes, i agree, it's stupid ;)

What is wrong with dual crossfire, as far as i know it works fine and has since the x1900 series.

umm.... from what ive seen.... every benchmark that shows 3850 and 3870 crossfire performance shows an almost 100% increase in performance..... on low to medium settings and 20-50% increase in performance at mex settings.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/591/3/
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/591/5/

http://iax-tech.com/video/3870/38703.htm

"Okay, ignoring the fact that "Dual" Crossfire doesn't work very well, does anyone honestly believe that ATI could scale four GPUs effeciently?"

Why would you even make that comment without acctually providing any proof, or any kind of experiance whatsoever.

Get real, and get some benchmarks, and some proof, before you even start a thread like this.

I saw 4x Crossfire last week - It was very interesting. From what I gathered, four video cards are three times as powerful than a single video card..

Cant you fold on ATI cards too? MMMMmmmm if one card = 4 of them could do some some serious folding while not gaming......

A client for folding on 2900/3800 series cards is in development. So not today, but maybe the next day.

a joke, man theese cards are so damn cheap, if i'd want a real power pc, i'd want 4x hd3870 over a more expensive 8800 ultra lol.

2x 3850 is really cheap aswell, and well, there's no joke about this, well, lets see how a full amd system runs(WITH THE 790 FX!)

no kidding... wait till the price drops to 150 for the 3850s and take some early world records... why the hell not.
Its the ONLY reason I baught another x850xt when i did.

A client for folding on 2900/3800 series cards is in development. So not today, but maybe the next day.

This leads me to believe that if you had two crossfired cards.... and a quad core cpu..... you could run 6 instances of F@H?

I thought I had read where 2x 3850's are near the performance of the 8800 gtx/ultra? Seems ideal to me to spend 2x$179 and get near equal performance of a >$400 card.

Not too long ago people thought quad core cpu's were a waste too. I for one am game for (2x) 3870x2.

If AMD's future GPU cards in crossfire can beat the top nVidia single card, and come with dependable drivers and offer equal or lower power consumption, I'll probably buy them. Even if nVidia SLI is faster. Especially since I am avoiding nVidia M/B's.

However, I'd probably avoid quads as the power consumption is way too high.

power consumtion issue is true, but however, 2x 3850 is equal to ultra in power consumption +/-.

well, when not thinking about power consumtion, amd got the best setup for videocards.

Get real, and get some benchmarks, and some proof, before you even start a thread like this.
WRONG

AMD needs to prove to me that it will work, I don't need to prove to anyone that it won't. As far as I'm concerned I'm rightly skeptical, since in the past I've seen both ATI and NVidia pay lip service to ridiculous technologies that they end up not supporting but keep on paper to lure people to their "platforms." Considering that dual-card Crossfire still has issues in many games and doesn't scale as well as SLI, does anyone believe that Quad Crossfire will have the same or less amount of annoying issues?

Okay, let's pretend Quad Crossfire works, but it scales similarly to how 2 card Crossfire scales. Then with the loss of performance from scaling you effectively have four cards performing near the speed of three cards would if they had 100% performance scaling. Whoop de shit. Then you should have bought two faster Nvidia cards in the first place. The 8800 series is faster, you'll have the same performance and a minute fraction of the power / heat requirements. And coming out of la la land for a sec, you'll have a lot less bugs and issues running two cards than you would with four.

Sorry to be harsh, but I think this Quad Crossfire business is a joke, and anyone who believes it will work properly before we see hard proof is incredibly gullible.

Regardless of their(ATI's) relation with AMD, shouldn't this be in the video card forum?

Anyway, I probably wouldn't use four video cards, nVidia or ATI, so I can't say it's an awesome prospect. But if they can get it working well, it would be a good choice for major gamers and would allow companies to make better quality(visual, at least) games without worrying about people not having the graphic processing power to play them.

Now we just need a new programming language so games don't take 20GB of space. :D

Marketing joke lol umm so is SLI or normal crossfire. You cant justify the cost.
You buy 2 cards for say $250 each
1 Card = Y performance. Does 2 Cards = twice the performance of X? No.
So right off the bat you already bought into a marketing scheme. Your better off waiting till the next gen or buying a high end card vs. to mid-high. So 4 cards giving you 3 times the perfomance as 1 it just doesn't work price x perfomance your just screwing yourself.

1 Card = Y performance. Does 2 Cards = twice the performance of X?
You mean do 2 cards = twice the performance of Y, right? Where X would be the performance of two cards since it doesn't have the same performance of 2Y(Or two separate cards).

Valid point, but if you're trying to get the top of the line cards where there is no more powerful card, then X would be much more appealing than the alternative, Y.

SLI and CrossFire are both marketing hype and largely meaningless. Just a pissing contest between Nvidia and ATI.

People running two videocards are a tiny portion of computer users. Look at the latest Steam hardware survey: 0.39% of the people were running multi-GPU systems. And this is surely higher than the percentage of all computers, as this is only counting Steam users, who are necessarily gamers.

There aren't enough people interested in multi-GPU for either company to recoup the time and resources they've put into it. As a business decision it's terrible. SLI and CrossFire are both for the bragging rights, both of the companies and of the users. It looks good at trade shows, it impresses people at LAN parties, there ya go.

But SLI and CrossFire won't go away, either, just as there will always be a market for Lamborghinis.

WRONG

AMD needs to prove to me that it will work, I don't need to prove to anyone that it won't. As far as I'm concerned I'm rightly skeptical, since in the past I've seen both ATI and NVidia pay lip service to ridiculous technologies that they end up not supporting but keep on paper to lure people to their "platforms." Considering that dual-card Crossfire still has issues in many games and doesn't scale as well as SLI, does anyone believe that Quad Crossfire will have the same or less amount of annoying issues?

Okay, let's pretend Quad Crossfire works, but it scales similarly to how 2 card Crossfire scales. Then with the loss of performance from scaling you effectively have four cards performing near the speed of three cards would if they had 100% performance scaling. Whoop de shit. Then you should have bought two faster Nvidia cards in the first place. The 8800 series is faster, you'll have the same performance and a minute fraction of the power / heat requirements. And coming out of la la land for a sec, you'll have a lot less bugs and issues running two cards than you would with four.

Sorry to be harsh, but I think this Quad Crossfire business is a joke, and anyone who believes it will work properly before we see hard proof is incredibly gullible.

How can AMD or ATI "Prove" to you that a solution works, when you wont even take the time read the benchmarks.

I don't care what you say to defend yourself, theres no excuse for ignorance when you are making claims to the public that something does not work.

Let me get technical here. Your thread title didnt say "Im skeptical that the solution can achieve the kind of performance that I require from a solution like this"
It said "Crossfire = marketing joke"
Not only did you not have a valid reason to make this comment, but you provided no basis on why you made the claim.

You claimed that 2x crossfire does not work, I showed you benchmarks that clearly showed a huge boost in performance (in some benchmarks near 100% increase at mid settings) as well as huge increases in performance for synthetic benchmarks such as 3dmark.
If you were skeptical, I provided some information.

As it stands, Crossfire works. If you want to run the top games at mid settings... one of these cards will work for you. If you want to run the top games at top settings you will either need a second card, or a MORE expensive single car solution from another company.
This is also a gateway to further upgrade path. If one card will do you for your games for now.... buy one... later you pickup another game from best buy that your card isn't quite strong enough to muster.... get another card.... later 3... later 4. They will only get cheaper and cheaper as well, and its already proven that scalability with these cards is REAL.

So my original post stands, as well as this one. You simply didn't posses the information to make this thread with this topic. Admit it.

Marketing joke lol umm so is SLI or normal crossfire. You cant justify the cost.
You buy 2 cards for say $250 each
1 Card = Y performance. Does 2 Cards = twice the performance of X? No.

You have to factor in that faster cards are worse performance-per-$.
Eg, take the 8800GT vs the 8800GTX or Ultra. The GT is only a fraction slower than the GTX, but is less than half the price. Ultra is even more of a premium for again only a slight improvement in performance.
In this case, two 8800GTs may deliver better performance-per-$ than a single GTX or Ultra, even when they don't nearly deliver twice the performance.
GTX and Ultra don't deliver anywhere near twice the performance either, but their prices are twice, or nearly three times that of an 8800GT.

Quad crossfire will work becouse in DX10 you can render more frames in advance (4 or 8 IIRC) while in DX9 you only could render 3 frames ahead which was main rpoblem for nvidia quad SLI.

And those 3850 in crossfires are going to be sweet not only you get performance of more expensive cards but you can easily buy them in rates which makes it way more affordable.

And if normal 3850 can do as much just wait for dual slot cooling 512MB factory OC versions.

okey, seems like amd can pull out 100% more performance with 2x 3850, and even more, this is getting reduced by the number of videocards you throw in ur comp, however, amd seems to go for multigpu systems. unlike nvidia, who gotta go single cards, cause they just started to suck at their chipsets, and cannot compete with amd NOR intel chipsets.

I think 2x 3850 is a pretty much buy buy instead of a 8800 GTX or a ULTRA aTM.!

However, the powerconsumption is the only issue, and you have to wait for drivers and some fixes for some games.

Quad GPU, is like a real gamer product, and well, is promotual stuff, who buys a 8800 ultra, none i know of, i just see like sometimes some1 got a ultra in their signature, and i think, what an idiot, the GTX is much more for the money, might not be like that in US, where the ultra cost 4.5 times more than the 3870.

3870's maybe, but right now 3850's only have 256 mb of vram, which = lose with newer games, and even older ones w/ AA on.

remember when SNL did the spoof on the 4 blade razor? Guess what. Shick came out with one!

quad crossfire...."because you'll BUY anything....."

If AMD's future GPU cards in crossfire can beat the top nVidia single card, and come with dependable drivers and offer equal or lower power consumption, I'll probably buy them. Even if nVidia SLI is faster. Especially since I am avoiding nVidia M/B's.

However, I'd probably avoid quads as the power consumption is way too high.

At least on AMD's side of the fence.I know more when my Phenom gets here.

WRONG

Very much agreed,and I more often then not prefer Nvidia.Although I have bought ATI cards in the past.Both companies are full of shit,and need to get back to single chip solutions.

Back