Quad core means no physics card needed

Economies of scale - A reduction in long run unit costs which arise from an increase in production. Economies of scale occur when larger firms are able to lower their unit costs. This may happen for a variety of reasons. A larger firm may be able to buy in bulk, it may be able to organise production more efficiently, it may be able to raise capital cheaper and more efficiently. All of these represent economies of scale.

Plain english: The more you sell the bigger your capital to buy materials to produce your next wave.The more you sell the cheaper it cost you to produce a single unit.Popularity and competition only play a factor in balacing your production output and time frame.

Diminishing Returns - When the addition of a variable factor of production results in a fall in marginal product. Diminishing returns refers to a situation where a firm is trying to expand by using more of its variable factors, but finds that the extra output they get each time they add one gets progressively less and less. This usually arises because their capacity is limited in the short-run and the combination of the fixed and variable factors becomes less than optimal. Diminishing returns is the main reason why the short-run aggregate supply curve is upward sloping.

Let's say the physx card become soooo popular that Asus couldn't produce fast enough compared to the competition that would lead to profit loss, and Asus wouldn't be able to lower the prices of their cards as fast as the competition.

I can't see a CEO say:"Wow our product is getting popular, let's jack up the prices, that'll teach them!"

I didn't say they'd raise their prices. I merely indicated that they had no reason to lower them. Furthermore the reduction of unit cost does not immediately indicate that a company will in fact lower consumer cost. Ultimately in this scenario it means more icing on the cake.

And that's a brilliant rebuttal, replete with excellent points. My argument has been crushed. Thanks for that spate of brilliance. We're all enlightened by your mere presence. :rolleyes:

Well, we certainly weren't enlightened by your presence, were we? Your previous points were silly and didn't deserve further rebuttal.

(on topic)

Intel just acquired Havok. Sounds like Intel wanted their physics technology.

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20070914corp.htm?iid=pr1_releasepri_20070914r
But the question is why do they want it?

While I am sure they will learn from Havok software and employee's, plus will teach Havok staff to better utilise their CPUs over the competitions, I get the feeling they want control of Havok FX.

It's existence isn't exactly beneficial to CPU companies, I wouldn't be surprised if they want to scrap it. What would you do if you were a CPU company with lots of cash and a smaller company was about to do a repeat of when you lost control of graphics acceleration?

Something tells me Intel isn't about to stop pushing quad core for physics, so what else would they do with Havok FX?

The way Intel usually goes, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to implement it.

Back