Quad-Core 4.2GHz, 64GB, 5TB SSD RAID 10 Laptop

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The Eurocom Sky X9 lays claim to being the most powerful “desktop laptop” ever made. For the hell of it, I was able to get the configurator to go over $11,000.

...the company's released the Sky X9W complete with a quad-core, eight-thread, Intel Core i7 6700K capable of operating at 4.2GHz and nestled amidst an Intel Z170 Express (Skylake) chipset. The NVIDIA Quadro M5000M dwarfs the CPU for core count: it's got 1,536 of its own. Pack in 64GB of DDR4-2133, 2400 or 2666 RAM, if you please, then throw in up to four NVME SSDs and give them the RAID 10 treatment for data protection. There's also a 17.3 inch 4K screen at 3840 x 2160.

Last edited by a moderator:
I own one for each room of the house. They're alright.

Just as space heaters in the winter though if I remember correctly right? And I think you mentioned using the cooling fan as a noise maker at night to help you fall asleep...

By choosing the maximum priced item for each option I got to $13,030. Ouch.

Wow just wow. You would need the plutonium batteries from Darkman II to run that thing.

I still don't think this quite tops the P570WM/NP9570 with the x79 chipset, you could put 980M SLI in there and have a 12 core xeon :)

I think I'd rather have a Generation 3 HP zbook 15 with a quad core Xeon, 64GB of ECC, 2x 1TB NVME 1x2TB SSD & a Quadro KM2100 and have some semblance of battery life.

The price the charge for upgrades is ridiculous. $689.00 for a 512GB Samsung 950 Pro? :eek: Newegg has them for $329.99.

The price the charge for upgrades is ridiculous. $689.00 for a 512GB Samsung 950 Pro? :eek: Newegg has them for $329.99.

I bought one a few days ago from amazon direct for $309 - and I got 3% casback on top of that with free *same* day delivery.

Sweet ass drive btw -- 2500megabytes right outta the gate.

On the topic of that laptop -- my car (that I bought brand new in 2012) didn't even cost as much as that fuggin' thing.

Hell -- the i7 MSI Ghost Pro with a 970m chip sits around my house not getting used... i feel bad that I blew some scratch on it, but it's light powerful and will remain powerful enough for at least a few years. (vs buying something for $400 that's a POS in 1 year.

Yeah the 970 and 980 have been out since Oct 2014. There's a new 980 mobile variant but I don't think many companies are using it yet. Correct me if I am wrong.

I'm done with gaming laptops until gaming performance gets a huge boost from mobile pascal.

I do not trust AMD anymore so I am almost positive anything they release is going to have driver and performance issues along with missing and or outdated tech desktop or mobile. So yeah, no.

The next $1000 I spend on a laptop will have to be a hell of a lot faster than the 980m.

...the company's released the Sky X9W complete with a quad-core, eight-thread, Intel Core i7 6700K capable of operating at 4.2GHz and nestled amidst an Intel Z170 Express (Skylake) chipset. The NVIDIA Quadro M5000M dwarfs the CPU for core count: it's got 1,536 of its own. Pack in 64GB of DDR4-2133, 2400 or 2666 RAM, if you please, then throw in up to four NVME SSDs and give them the RAID 10 treatment for data protection. There's also a 17.3 inch 4K screen at 3840 x 2160.

there's the main problem right there....not even an option to choose 980M or 980M SLI instead of workstation-class graphics.

if you're doing things that require workstation-style graphics, get an actual workstation, not a "workstation-lite" laptop. if you're gaming and you are mobile a lot, then this is definitely not the laptop to go with...get one that has gaming graphics in it.

Did you ever configure a computer at Dell or HP? At work last week I had to accept a base 512GB hard disk in a system because I would not pay $100+ extra for an upgrade to a 1 TB drive or a 128GB SSD.

And it only weighs a measly 11lbs, not including the power supply.

i would love this for work. All normal laptops with mobile cpus and shit just suck and are always so much slower than a standard desktop cpu setup.

I guess I am missing something, I would think the MSI GT80S Titan with the GTX 980 SLI would be just as expensive. The I7 6920HQ isnt clocked as high, but still comes with 64gb or ram, and the ability to run a SSD Raid. The one Positive thing for the X9W is that it seems to have a battery that can be changed. The MSI is internal and requires quite a bit of break down to get to it, this includes removing panels and the heat pipes.

MSI GTX 980 SLI

Retail pricing is always 400-500% markup. This isn't any different then what most any other has done in the past.

Too many time I thought I could build my own system cheaper then say Alienware but when I start pricing it all out, I come up a couple hundred cheaper, and then I remember that I am getting an OS and have to put it all together and if there are any driver issues I'll have to find a working solution. Now this was back when I bought my first Alienware long ago. It may have changed somewhat over the years but I bet it isn't that far out of line.

I think if you take a system today and price out the components you'll initially think that you can save a few hundred bucks doing it yourself. But I also think that if you actually figure in everything you are getting and "value the work you are doing yourself", you'll find that their price isn't unreasonable at all.

This particular laptop may be an exception, but if it's unique, I'll say it comes down to will it sell or not.

This is just a Clevo P870DM-G.

Clevo is known for being the first to put high-end desktop parts into a notebook workstation design. I own two of them.

Eurocom is infamous for being a bit overpriced compared to the other Clevo vendors.

Example:
- Maxed out specs for $5809 at a better priced and reputable Clevo vendor

Display: 17.3” FHD 16:9 IPS LED-Backlit Display with Matte Finish w/ G-SYNC Technology (1920x1080)
CPU: 6th Generation Intel® Skylake™ i7-6700K (4.0GHz - 4.2GHz, 8MB Intel® Smart Cache)
Video Card*: NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 980 (8.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX12 (Maxwell) - Desktop GPU
Memory: 64GB DDR4 2133MHz [4x16GB] Dual Channel Memory
Storage (M.2): (Qty. 2) 512GB Samsung 950Pro NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD
Storage (SATA-III): (Qty. 2) 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Series SSD
Wireless: Intel® Dual Band AC 8260 802.11 A/AC/B/G/N 2.4/5.0GHz + Bluetooth™ 4.0

* if you wanted to switch out the single GTX 980 (desktop GPU variant) with SLI GTX 980M's (mobile GPU variant), add $250.

I like these notebook because they are not flashy (doesn't scream "steal me"), parts are standardized and user-upgradeable. The main selling point is that videocards are standard MXM modules and can be swapped out.

My two cents.

Yeah which is why you can always shop for the model from the likes of sager ;)

I still don't think this quite tops the P570WM/NP9570 with the x79 chipset, you could put 980M SLI in there and have a 12 core xeon :)

I waste tons of time on your website btw, I don't even know why ! :D

Yeah which is why you can always shop for the model from the likes of sager ;)
Sager is a good choice for well priced Clevo notebooks for North American customers.

- Tip: Buy from their resellers. Their resellers are the ones that have the best BBB and resellerratings for custom notebooks. ;)

Back