Quad Channel Kits For X79/Sandy Bridge-E

GreenGoose

[H]ard|Gawd
I know Corsair and Kingston announced 32GB and 64GB quad channel kits for X79 but what about smaller kits like 16GB? With Sandy Bridge-E less than two weeks away, I assumed quad channel kits specific to X79/Sandy Bridge-E would start showing up or at least announced. Anyone?

Just when I think 8GB is pretty good. Now we are going to have guys with 64 GBs on desktop. Just wow.

If I go X79 I'm going to try to resist the vanity of going with a quad channel kit and instead just buy another 2 dimms of what i got.

If I go X79 I'm going to try to resist the vanity of going with a quad channel kit and instead just buy another 2 dimms of what i got.

I'm sure this will be fine in most cases but it would be nice to have a kit tested and certified for quad channel.

I was thinking the same thing.....

I'll probably use a matched pair of 8 GB in the "A" slots and a matched pair of 8 GB in the "B" slots.............

I would assume 1.5V RAM would be the ticket?

This is assuming that Corsair doesn't come out with a 16GB kit that is cheaper than two 8GB kits.:eek:

Lol, quad channel kits are just 4/8/etc sticks of the ram off the same assembly line, two dual channel kits is the same thing, aslong as they're same model, you can mix old sticks with new

+1 This guys speaks the truth!:)

Lol, quad channel kits are just 4/8/etc sticks of the ram off the same assembly line, two dual channel kits is the same thing, aslong as they're same model, you can mix old sticks with new

86 nailed it. Heck, you can buy 4 separate identically spec'd DIMMs and it'll work just fine.

86 nailed it. Heck, you can buy 4 separate identically spec'd DIMMs and it'll work just fine.

This too, I remember you could mix and match brands aslong as everything ran at the same speed/timings/densities.

That was a loooong time ago though, most people just stick to the same model, to ensure dual/triple/quad channel compability.

Besides there's very few applications it even makes a difference, everyday tasks, even gaming, won't give an apparent benefit from single channel ram to quad channel

The ONLY thing You need to look for is x79 voltage and timing specifications. I know x58 called for 1.5(?) and DDR3-1033 but ram kits ranging from 1.5-1.65 and ddr3-2000 worked

Congratulations, you just made a quad channel kit, slap a different sticker on it change a number in the model number and upcharge for "quad channel" engineered ram

Lol. I thought this was the case but I wanted to hear other opinions before I jumped the gun. I just ordered my RAM. Thanks.

Wow, 2400Mhz CAS8 ram coming. Drooool.:eek: 4x2Gb Pi 2?
24b.jpg.jpeg

64GB matched kit Ram (8 X 8GB) will cost you about $1200 - $1600 ATM
Should be interesting to see how fast they come down

64GB matched kit Ram (8 X 8GB) will cost you about $1200 - $1600 ATM
Should be interesting to see how fast they come down

The GSkill kit I linked to was Now: $1,299.99 at newegg but not in stock and I do not think you can preorder.

8gb dimms are new and priced at a premium, I'm curious if they will dial down the markup for 4 and 2gb dim quad channel kits vs two 2 channel kits.

I am excited to see this stuff come out. 64GB of RAM? What are people going to do, play multiple 3D games at a time?

Back