Quad 290X with 4930K

TigerLord

[H]ard|Gawd
What PSU unit would you recommend for a quad 290X build with a 4930K?

I've seen a newegg youtube video in which they benchmarked quad 290X with a Rosewill HERCULES-1600 1600W. Never heard of that brand before. I usually stick to Corsair or Seasonic. I can't seem to find a 1500W or bigger PSU unit from those brands.

I have a mining rig with dual seasonic 1000w psu (five 290) downstairs but I'm using USB powered risers which regulate the power, so there's no risk of having lanes pull power from the wrong PSU as far as I understand it.

This would be a gaming rig, so I'd prefer a single PSU solution, but I don't feel comfortable trusting all this hardware to a brand I have never used.

Last edited:
i would steer clear of 1000watt silverstone psus. I have one, and it can't handle anything above 740 watts,

What games are you trying to run with that setup? That's a beast of a machine!

Cooling 4 cards is no joke, you really want to make sure you get the coolers that blow out of the case or go water (even then you're cooling 1200w of computer at full load). I have 3 280x with open air coolers and the middle card just gets roasted even in a case with excellent airflow and sidefans... having empty slots between cards helps too.

I went with the corsair hx1050 and I pull 900w at full load, I wouldn't put another card though.

Last edited:
quad 290X will be on water for the reasons you mentioned (noise and heat).

I'll be powering games like Star Citizen, Crysis 3, Skyrim (very modded), Far Cry 3, etc. at 7680x1600 (12M pixels).

It looks like the Corsair 1500W is no longer in production?

i would steer clear of 1000watt silverstone psus. I have one, and it can't handle anything above 740 watts,

Which one? Their older ones might have been mediocre, but their newer models have all reviewed excellently.

@OP

I would recommend the Lepa G1600. It's highly recommended everywhere.

The reason you don't really see 1500+ watt units, especially in America is that normal household circuits can't do more than 1800 watts. It requires dedicated, high amperage circuits.

I would really suggest the LEPA. My setup in the sig is only different by one card. I have a Corsair 1200 and it works just fine. I have a few hard drives and fans to cool my radiators. I also have an additional pump too.

This is what I noticed, during gaming, the cards won't be pushed to 100% and a 1200w psu is enough. Now if you were benchmarking and pushing the system to the limits, I would just get the LEPA.

As a separate note, I ran into a ton of issues trying to get 4 cards running. The sweet spot is 3 cards. I'm planning on buying a larger 4k monitor coming these few months.

What about the new Delta built Antec High Current 1300? Reviews seem to think it's about the best on the market market. Pricey though.

Overclocked 4930ks can suck quite a lot of power. The 300 watt extra headroom of the Lepa G1600 would almost certainly be necessary for any kind of overclocking.

Then it's broke. You should get an RMA.

SilverStone PSUs have always been rated at continuous output at at least 40°C.

I opted for two Seasonic 1000W instead of the Lepa simply because the Lepa was nowhere to be found in stock from my usual retailers.

I would suggest the Corsair AX1200, or even waiting for their AX1500 which is due out soon. I was running four two Titans and two 780Ti's for BOINC with little problem (though with a 4770K and 32GB 1866 RAM).

I would suggest the Corsair AX1200, or even waiting for their AX1500 which is due out soon. I was running four two Titans and two 780Ti's for BOINC with little problem (though with a 4770K and 32GB 1866 RAM).

Would the AX1200i even be enough watts for his setup? I was going to suggest it too but 4 cards is a lot of power... I have a Corsair RM1000, and while it is not as good as the AX series, Corsair still makes very nice PSU's.

Would the AX1200i even be enough watts for his setup? I was going to suggest it too but 4 cards is a lot of power... I have a Corsair RM1000, and while it is not as good as the AX series, Corsair still makes very nice PSU's.

With overclocking in mind, no. Ax1500i should be out soon though.

Back