quad 1080 unlock?

watanabe

Limp Gawd
I'm building a new workstation for work (machine learning/ann+render slave) and we're throwing 4 gtx 1080's in it. Before I bring it in I wanted to see how it handles some games - I remember reading that Nvidia was going to have some sort of special unlock for tri/quad-sli setups as it wasn't officially supported, has this been released yet?

Probably going to see a loss in performance, now that devs don't have to code beyond two cards. 3-4 card users can only hope for Crytek to make Crysis 4 to make any use of it.

Probably going to see a loss in performance, now that devs don't have to code beyond two cards. 3-4 card users can only hope for Crytek to make Crysis 4 to make any use of it.

There is no "now that devs don't have to code beyond two cards" - I've run multiple 3-way and 4-way setups since the GTX 680 launch and they've never supported them. There are 1-2 edge cases (DICE with Battlefield, *sometimes*) but it was overall a nightmare running more than 2-way SLI for gaming. It's great for benching though!

If you think about it - devs have a hard enough time getting their games working for *one* GPU let alone two or more...and when you consider the statistics behind multi-GPU setups there's just no reason for them to bother, unfortunately.

I'm really happy NVIDIA made this "change" because at least it gates 3-way and 4-way behind a special walled garden so people manage their expectations from the get go. :)

And where is that wall? I recall them saying they'd setup a website to put your serial numbers into to get done dirty if unlock code, any news on that front?

And where is that wall? I recall them saying they'd setup a website to put your serial numbers into to get done dirty if unlock code, any news on that front?

Same place the new SLI HB bridges reside...N/A. :)

GeForce GTX 1080 Goes On Sale Tomorrow. Learn More In This Deep Dive

"Not impossible mind you, simply not recommended. To unlock 3-Way and 4-Way SLI functionality, enthusiasts will need to acquire a free "Enthusiast Key" from a NVIDIA website. Simply run the key software on your PC, follow the steps, and you’ll unlock 3-Way and 4-Way SLI functionality."

Found this, too:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...st-key-unlocking-need-help-gtx-1080/?offset=3

Confirms that nothing is available, yet...perhaps hit up NVIDIA support? They were really helpful that last time that I contacted them a couple of years ago RE: my 3-way TITAN setup.

Back