Q's for those of you using xbox for HTPC

IDversusEGO

Supreme [H]ardness
I am thinking of using an Xbox for carPC. For those of you that aren't famialar with the term CarPC, is is basically a mobile HTPC. Ideally, I want a touch screen, but I also want a remote control. Wireless networking is a must as well, but I know that can be done on the xbox. So, my main questions are what do you guys use to control the HTPC? what adapter, if any, are needed? can any of you give me a rough estimate of the $$ it would take to convert a standard xbox? preferably a non-soldering solution, but I am open to solder style. I haev 2 xboxes and plan on getting a 360 whent hey come out, so I don't mind negating online play on one of the xboxes.

trust me, I am reading over at xbox-scene, but it is a ton of info to absorb at once. I am getting it, but it may take a minute.

Mine cost this:

1. Time looking for a Slayers install download (they jump around)
2. Lots of reading! xboxscene has a lot of good stuff.
3. $75 for 120gig 7200rpm, 8mb cache Maxtor harddrive (was cheap at the time).
4. $55 for Solderless mod.

I can't remember if the Xbox can handle anything larger than one 120gig or not. I don't remember.

Took about 1-2 hours, and to setup the harddrive. With the Slayers EvoX install CD it was a breeze and it puts a lot of great apps on there anyways.

*edit*

Oh, and you'll want to make sure your Xbox has (most new ones do) the good drive. You can find out information about that at xboxscene.com - The earlier versions had horrible drives that couldn't read a whole lot of stuff (I think they were Thomson drives). Guide is here: http://www.freewebs.com/xboxdrives/

The Samsung is what you'd want.

For a CarPC you'll also want to keep in IN THE CAB, not the trunk. The trunk is not air-conditioned. Most people don't like driving around with the cab being 100degrees, so that offers some help on the heat side. You'll also want to do the 12V fan mod to the Xbox to allow it to run cooler as well as possibly moving both the harddrive and dvd drive to an exterior case to allow for more cooling. They can get hot, and having them in the car only compounds the issue.

Pretty much the same thing here.
I didn't use an install disk, but they work well for first timers.

I just use Avalaunch as my main, and XBMC as my secondary.
I stream movies from my PC to my XBOX using XBMC and it works great.

Avalaunch can also play your DVD movies witout using the kit M$ charges you for (instead you use your controller) and XBMC can also play DVD movies, stream shoutcast, do a slide show of pics etc... using the controller as well.

My cost was ~$100 for a 200GB WD HD, $55 for an X3 mod chip and a TON of time learning all you can do with a modded XBOX thru xbox-scene and such.

Good Luck, I really enjoy my modded xbox.

D.

debaucher said:
Good Luck, I really enjoy my modded xbox.

D.

I forgot to point that out. It was a great choice in the long run. At first I wasn't sure it was was the extra doh.

Some games (GTA:SA) don't even load if the modchip is turned on though.

thanks guys. the remote is going to be a neccessaty as I will have to operate while driving. anybody know if you can plug the remote kit into a controller extender and have it still work? that way I could mount the IR receiver up front. I plan on haveing the xbox under the seat. otherwise it wouldn't be a very functional console. as for the drive, I have a samsung and a thompson. but I am not looking to play anything but retail games on it. all movies will be from the hard drive. mod chips for $55 sounds good. I already have larger hard drive for this. so looks fairly inexpensive since I already have a good bit of the stuff. I just wanted to be sure there weren't any unexpected things that seem to come up anytime you tackle a new project.

It cost me about $65 for the chip when I got mine.
As for solderless, at the time I got my chip, there was not a solderless option. My xbox was the v1.6. There may be a solderless solution for that version by now though.

I then dropped about $50 on the 120 gig HD.

As for the controller, I just found a $20 wireless mini conroller at Target.
Here's a link: http://www.madcatz.com/Default.asp?Page=194&CategoryImg=Wireless

I have no idea if the xbox remote would work or not in the software. I'm thinking someone on xbox-scene could answer that question though.

Yea check out xbox-scene, although I'm sure you already have. I've got a wireless remote controll, haven't used it much, but didn't have much success. This could be attributed to it being a super-cheapo one off ebay. I've done 2 solder modchips, X2's at the time. I have 0 soldering experience, and still managed to do them pretty easily so I'd say go for it. Only cost like $30ish. After that its nothing but following some well written guides, and setting all the software up that can be aquired for free on irc.

For an idea of what it can do, this is a typical Xbox HTPC experience for me.

Main HTPC records show's in my favorites when I miss them. I go to my bedroom and boot up the Xbox. Xbox reads the shared directory on my HTPC, and I select a show, and start to play it. All via wireless controller lying on my bed. Works just as easily for DVD's or other video files. 2 or 3 button presses and you've got it going. Mine also does weather reports and neat things like that, XBMC is the software which has that.

Enjoy :D

Back