QR Code on Business Card

sdotbrucato

[H]ard|Gawd
I know we have quite a few professional designers on these boards, I was just wondering, if any of you have had a request for QR codes on business cards yet?

I've been toying with the idea, but I'm just not sure how often they'll be used, and to be quite honest, the QR codes arent exactly the most aesthetically pleasing pieces of pixels one can put on a business card.

Gotta admit I didn't actually know what these were 'till you mentioned it here, so I went to wiki and read up. Now I got BarcodeScanner on my phone so I can actually use these.

This is so cool! I think having these on your business card is a great idea! Imo, as long as you work it into the typography so it works compositionally with the rest of the text, it should work fine aesthetically overall. These QR codes aren't ugly in and of themselves any more so that any other text - just treat them like a text element, and it should work fine.

Next question: where do I get the program to turn the info I want into a QR code graphic?

Edit - found one - this is so cool!
img.php

Edit again - um, ya, definitely don't make it as big as this one ^^^ :p I'd say you want it no larger than about 4 lines of text on the card. And if you need to make it bigger, I'd say try and use it like more of a background/watermark. I'm not sure what the technology constraints for these are, but hopefully something like that would work.

Last edited:
Yeah these qr codes are pretty handy. In a single square i can list everything one would need in a contact card. Name, address, website, etcetc.

I'm just really unsure how I'm going to implement lol.

I think its a fad, which might get a little more popular as tech progresses (and android)

But it will fail because its much easier to tell people a link. (esp. with stuff like tinyurl and the many similar "shorten your URL" sites)

All the chinamen are buying up all the odd URLs though... we might run out of URLs to the point they are so long we might need to open up QR codes as an easier source of relaying personal URLs

With google goggles app you can scan directly with the phones camera, detecting phone numbers. Don't really see the need just yet since the information conveyed is so basic. These belong on ups or fedex boxes.

Back