Here are the specs:

Tforce 6100
Opteron 170
2x512 OCZ EL Plat. Rev. 2
7800GT
WD 160GB SATA
Liberty 500w
Waiting on Plextor PX-716SA

All of the wires on the PSU and case have been chopped. I think I spent about 6 hours cutting, stripping, soldering, sleeving, and shrinking to get this done. I think the result is pretty good. Next stop: water cooling.

qpack1.jpg

qpack2.jpg

qpack3.jpg

Not meaning to jack the thread, just to add my two pics. Also, i'm curious if you shortened the 24 pin ATX cable, and what you did with the second 12v 4pin line.

Everything shortened. I made both 12v aux. connectors the same length. I got rid of the PSU fan reporting cable. I'm waiting on a plextor px716sa, which is 6.69in long, making it a perfect fit :D

I've thought about taking the female end of the 24p connector out of the motherboard and flipping it so the connection is made underneath the motherboard. This way it would hide the wires.

I have access to the equipment to allow this to be done relatively easily, and since I have done rework and repair on PCB's for over 7 years, I don't see it posing a problem. Just haven't gotten the ambition to do it yet.

What do you guys think?

I was a little scared to trim the 24 pin wire harness, but I took my time, marked all the wires, and it was no problem.

As far as flipping the connector to the back, it would be neat to see, but I'm not sure how much benefit it would give in the wire management department.

Sounds like a cool idea. I just got enough nutz to hack away at my QPack so my Liberty can face downward correctly (completely tightened, power outlet on back not hitting anything)! I also opened up my Liberty, flipped the fan so it blows in, and took off the grille. The grille was one reason why the Liberty wouldn't sit correctly, btw.

I would like to point my liberty down, but the placement of the modular connectors is better with the fan facing up.

MikeyB said:
I would like to point my liberty down, but the placement of the modular connectors is better with the fan facing up.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I'm mouting two laptop cd drives in one bay while my full-length watercooling res sits in the other. ;)

Are you using the dual slimline mounting bracket/bezel? Don't you have to use atapi to ide converter for those?

MikeyB said:
Are you using the dual slimline mounting bracket/bezel? Don't you have to use atapi to ide converter for those?
Yes, and the store that I bought it from on eBay packages two with it. :)

emptyshell said:
Why do you have your liberty facing up??????

For whatever awful foulup in engineering, the socket for the power cable on the Liberties does not fit within the cutout of the QPack (its like 1 sillimeter off) when facing standard direction on the backside. There are two options - flip it, or cut away a millimeter of the back of the qpack inside the cutout to make it fit properly.

and for this reason above
MikeyB said:

ok..... i still dont see the sence in it, id rather have a more usefull fan on my PSU then a tiny bit better placement of cables..... and just get a dremel or a hacksaw and cut that little 1cm piece of metal off... hell u dont even need to cut it off... i havent and its working fine....

The fan on the liberty never runs very fast and it really doesn't care which direction it is pointed, it always runs cool. :D

Cool mod. I have a few questions for all of you:

Has anyone used the handle on this thing to carry the comptuer to a lan party? I use a zalaman cpu cooler and I am afraid of it shifting and ripping out the cpu (bending the pins)

Also i notice in alot of forums that most users have 2 hard drives mounted on the side does this allow for amply heat desipation. Please advise. .....

All in all I would like to say you guys are really good with the info and advice. :) :D

i carry it by the handle all the time. used to have a tt venus 12 which was very heavy, now using a zalman 7000b with no problems. i am using 2 drives mounted in the rack and it doesnt seem to cause any problems. i used to have 2 in the rack and another installed in the lower 5 1/4 bay. it does get toasty in there over the summer, but as it doesnt have an intake fan, this will happen. i got a 3 3/8" hole saw and made a blow hole on the right side window near the front and now have great ventilation. before i had the 92mm intake fan last summer i turned the 120mm exhaust fan around so it would be intake and lowered my temps by around 6 or 7c. when the ambient temp gets down to less than 20c it doent make much difference whether it is exhaust or intake, tho.

My case is unbuilt as of this moment, but I did try once lifting the case up with (2) radiators, 1 120mm and 1 2x80mm, all its watercooling included, 2 drives, all 5.5 and 3.5 bays filled. Scared the crap outta me, but it held. I wouldnt swing it around, however - its the BEZEL that just might come off, not the handle.

yeah, 4 tabs and 4 puny screws. The connection between the handle and the bezel is not the most sturdy thing either. It should be fine for light travel.

Quick Question - how long are your hard drives from the screw farthest to the back 120mm fan to the closest end of the hard drive, r00k? If you dont know, what model of Hard drives are those? THANKS

Back