QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution ll 27" 1440p $289 on Ebay Free Shipping

Holy shit. Terrible story lol. Sorry man.

Yeah, I'm frikkin sorry, Phil. That's why I didn't want to give these a shot, I just knew with my bad luck and two left thumbs I'd never be able to get one that had no BLB and then I'd try to fix it and break it. At least I didn't buy your FG2421.

Why would you leave your cat in a room where you're working with sensitive electronics? I mean this thing had a very minor problem and you could have fixed it just fine. I'm sorry for your loss, but most of this was your fault. You sure you can't calm down and try to fix everything up and clean off your blood?

Yeah, the cat part was me not paying attention enough. I tried to clean up the paw prints and the blood but I wasn't having any luck there.

As for the "minor problem" - are you serious? Have you done this yourself?

The tiny power plug got ripped off the backlight LED strip, including taking two header pins with it and not leaving a surface for me to solder onto. I don't have the tools to work with that. and I'm not sure where to get a replacement backlight strip from.

If you are the expert them I'm all ears :). Here is what I yanked:

13655694294_b0032a526b_z.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm frikkin sorry, Phil. That's why I didn't want to give these a shot, I just knew with my bad luck and two left thumbs I'd never be able to get one that had no BLB and then I'd try to fix it and break it. At least I didn't buy your FG2421.

I appreciate the sentiment, and it is something I will learn from for down the road. I have worked around enough iMacs and Mac Minis that I know better than to be nothing but super gentle with those connectors. I should have used a spudger like I normally do.

Oh well, not like I had a crappy monitor before this started.

Last edited:

I'm saying your original problem was just the cable from the adapter having to be in there a certain way due to a loose connector... the monitor itself was fine. Also, you could have just left it taped like that and fixed it in a calm manner when you were fully ready to. Nothing wrong with jerry rigging when it works. Also, the first thing I did with my Qnix was buy a Square Trade warranty... Did you do that with the first few?

Still I will admit you have pretty bad luck. I'm not sure why you don't just get one of the mainstream brands that's on sale these days. They're going fairly cheap. Overclocking aside there isn't as much reason to go Korean in this day and age unless you really care that much about input delay. Now, when I was buying 1440p mainstream brands and they were all faulty anyway, there's a darn good reason I went Korean. And I don't regret it, this monitor is great. And all I had to do to fix backlight bleed was put a few cardboard pieces under the frame at some points. Took all of 15 mins.

I'm saying your original problem was just the cable from the adapter having to be in there a certain way due to a loose connector... the monitor itself was fine. Also, you could have just left it taped like that and fixed it in a calm manner when you were fully ready to. Nothing wrong with jerry rigging when it works. Also, the first thing I did with my Qnix was buy a Square Trade warranty... Did you do that with the first few?

Still I will admit you have pretty bad luck. I'm not sure why you don't just get one of the mainstream brands that's on sale these days. They're going fairly cheap. Overclocking aside there isn't as much reason to go Korean in this day and age unless you really care that much about input delay.

Ah yeah, I forgot to mention the part where it broke internally and that required me to solder the connector. Sorry that I forgot to add that :eek:. That would have saved a lot of back-and-forth.

Today I had gotten a new VESA stand for the monitor, so I unplugged the power and DVI cable to install it. When I plugged power back in again the monitor would not turn on, so I wiggled the connector some more but the monitor still refused to come on, even after trying for about five minutes in fifty different positions. That led me to taking the monitor apart to see if I could fix the power jack.

After taking the monitor apart it was apparent that the internal pin inside the jack is connected outside on the backside to a pretty thin piece, which had broken off.

13657005125_b032e50159.jpg

So I soldered the two connections back together, tested the monitor to see if it would turn on and put the thing back together. When I hooked it up to my computer the light turned blue like normal, but nothing came up on the screen. When I went to look at my connections again I realized the damage I had done to the smaller plug that controls the LED backlighting.

Sorry to be a crank ass over the whole thing. I was just very upset when it happened along with being super disappointed because this was a great monitor with no pixel defects and no BLB that I could see. The first two monitors I tried were returned back to the sellers (both in the US) because of immediate issues, so I have only been out one monitor at least.

The overclocking and low input delay were the reasons I wanted a Korean monitor like you said, else I would probably go with a VP2770 or another highly regarded monitor. The FG2421 is still a great monitor, so I will hold out for awhile and see what comes along down the road this year.

Thanks for the discussion on this.

Ah yeah, I forgot to mention the part where it broke internally and that required me to solder the connector. Sorry that I forgot to add that :eek:. That would have saved a lot of back-and-forth.

Today I had gotten a new VESA stand for the monitor, so I unplugged the power and DVI cable to install it. When I plugged power back in again the monitor would not turn on, so I wiggled the connector some more but the monitor still refused to come on, even after trying for about five minutes in fifty different positions. That led me to taking the monitor apart to see if I could fix the power jack.

After taking the monitor apart it was apparent that the internal pin inside the jack is connected outside on the backside to a pretty thin piece, which had broken off.

13657005125_b032e50159.jpg

So I soldered the two connections back together, tested the monitor to see if it would turn on and put the thing back together. When I hooked it up to my computer the light turned blue like normal, but nothing came up on the screen. When I went to look at my connections again I realized the damage I had done to the smaller plug that controls the LED backlighting.

Sorry to be a crank ass over the whole thing. I was just very upset when it happened along with being super disappointed because this was a great monitor with no pixel defects and no BLB that I could see. The first two monitors I tried were returned back to the sellers (both in the US) because of immediate issues, so I have only been out one monitor at least.

The overclocking and low input delay were the reasons I wanted a Korean monitor like you said, else I would probably go with a VP2770 or another highly regarded monitor. The FG2421 is still a great monitor, so I will hold out for awhile and see what comes along down the road this year.

Thanks for the discussion on this.
I would try to return it, I mean you didn't break it, it was already broken...

Excellentcastle's return policy states that they will pay for return shipping if the monitor is defective...Impatience and irrationality claimed another victim.

Pretty much. Figured it would be easier to fix it myself than to wait two-three weeks for another one, though they were pretty fixated on it being the power adapter and not the monitor as the issue.

I had the money from day one to jump on the Korean LED Monitor band wagon and ... never did .. why? Because of the horror stories. I did have a 30" LED Korean Monitor briefly but was able to flip it for $100 profit. Only think I remember is it had an all metal body If I remember correctly.

So I've been messing with these Korean "distributors" a little to see who's who. It's tough when you don't speak much Korean, but they usually speak English. They are really savvy and they think Westerners are dumb as rocks. Pretty much all of the eBay sellers are from the same company: BCC Korea, and they can be shady as Hell. Ask them a question they will tell you whatever you want to hear. Then you'll get whatever they feel like sending you; usually you get what you ordered. They don't seem out to get you so much as just too busy to care.

But I found a new "seedling", if you will. Gmarketmall is one of their new sellers. If you look at how they are doing this, it's pretty much the same approach as real-money-traders from MMOs. They make "bots". They had that account open since mid 2012 or something, then like a month ago they bought 8 small items for some feedback, and started selling snail cream, now they are selling monitors.

So I ordered an "Ultimate Perfect Pixel" Qnix from Gmarketmall this past Friday. I wasn't totally surprised that I did not get any feedback for paying immediately (and still haven't, though my item has been shipped). They have only 188 but 100% and I bet they are trying to keep that one from getting smashed up early. They have had lots and lots of different IDs in the past few years, and some of them are completely gone... for who knows why. Some of them, like Bigclothcraft (doesn't that sound like a RealMoneyTrader bot name???) just don't sell the monitors anymore.

At any rate this one that I ordered from literally has their paypal account set up as BCC Korea, inc. and has a customer service number listed. So I gave them a ring when they pissed me off. I specifically asked these jokers if they would ship my unit UPS. They gave me the big thumbs up, stating that UPS was already their usual carrier for US freight and it wouldn't be a problem. Monday rolled around, still no shipment, now Tuesday they have shipped it out DHL. Well. Screw that. I don't even care that much about the carrier, it's the principle. Whether they screwed up innocently or not, it seems there is this pattern with BCC Korea accounts of being shifty like that based on reading a lot of anecdotes from this thread and other threads all over the net.

Dude didn't seem surprised at all that the phone was ringing at 6:30PM Korea time, but he did seem a little surprised to be talking to an American. I would never call an individual's paypal number but a company, yep, and I know country codes and everything! I got the feeling this guy was eating dinner. He's like, "yes yes, give me your number I'll call you back tomorrow about it." Didn't realize what time it was there, but why did he answer the phone if they've already closed for the day? Are they using employee cell phone numbers for the customer service lines? They can't be, people would call at all hours of the night, maybe...... maybe I'm the only nut in the world who would do that. Anyway, I must have freaked him out because they were responding to my emails within minutes of the call, whereas I had got no response for an hour or so up to that point. They wanted to stop the DHL package and send it UPS tomorrow. To me that's like ordering soup at a restaurant where you saw the cook take a piss and not wash his hands. No thanks. I'll just overpay Ecomade Arena since they seem to have their shit together. I don't really like giving eBay and paypal little bits of my money all the time anyway. I got refunded pretty damn quick from GMarketMall, they are obviously watching that 188 close.

Another thing is if you open up a complaint with eBay sellers tend to respond to those VERY quickly.

Too much shady crap/QC issues with Korean Ebay sellers is why I haven't bought a cheap 27" 1440p monitor from them (yet). :(

Even my American branded Auria crapped out after a year. You get what you pay for... Make sure to use a credit card with an extended warranty for any purchase or use squaretrade.

Well, I gotta be honest, I do feel like I got what I paid for, even if it craps out, I could replace the PCB presumably, ipsledmonitors sells them. And even if you "waste" your money and overpay a newegg or Amazon seller, you are still getting enormous bang for your buck here, assuming your panel isn't borked.

But after working at a scratch I put in my first Qnix with Novus #2 for like an hour and getting close to completely rubbing away the film- in that spot-it occured to me to buy a squaretrade warranty with Accidental damage protection attached, which I did. I've also ordered another perfect pixel qnix from the Amazon seller Ecomade Arena and also a squaretrade warranty with accidental damage on it.

The little scratch has pretty much disappeared but I'm super klutzy lately and it seems worth it to me to put the warranty on them, since I like them quite a bit.

Got my perfect pixel monitor from storewithstory, 1 problem there is a small dead spot like this user had at center top. http://i60.tinypic.com/ou8vn6.jpg

I wonder if I buy a squaretrade warranty is that something thats covered. I might just shoot Squaretrade an email and ask.

I really like the resolution and easily got 96hz. Only time I can see the dead spot is on solid black which is very rare.

Maybe I'll keep but email seller and get some money back. :confused:

Got my perfect pixel monitor from storewithstory, 1 problem there is a small dead spot like this user had at center top. http://i60.tinypic.com/ou8vn6.jpg

I wonder if I buy a squaretrade warranty is that something thats covered. I might just shoot Squaretrade an email and ask.

I really like the resolution and easily got 96hz. Only time I can see the dead spot is on solid black which is very rare.

Maybe I'll keep but email seller and get some money back. :confused:

As I understand it, the terms of the square trade warranty are affected by perfect pixel option. Some people have said it's the only reason to get PP. That looks like a defective panel, technically. It's not a dead pixel its a dead cluster.

As I understand it, the terms of the square trade warranty are affected by perfect pixel option. Some people have said it's the only reason to get PP. That looks like a defective panel, technically. It's not a dead pixel its a dead cluster.

Ya thats why I bought perfect pixel so if needed I could buy the sq warranty. I guess I can ask sq if the dead cluster is covered. If not I guess last resort would be to ask seller for some cash back.

Why would you leave your cat in a room where you're working with sensitive electronics? I mean this thing had a very minor problem and you could have fixed it just fine. I'm sorry for your loss, but most of this was your fault. You sure you can't calm down and try to fix everything up and clean off your blood?

Holy shit. Terrible story lol. Sorry man.

Jesus I saw these two quotes without seeing the story and thought the dude fried and exploded a cat somehow...

:D

Thought about it for about thirty seconds when it happened, then I remembered that it was my own dumb fault to begin with. I had to bitch at someone for what happened (hey, I lost $400 in the span of thirty minutes) so everyone in this thread unfortunately was the target.

They never did send me that damn input board that I asked for but didn't need in the end.

Yah, I'm not planning on trying to put a claim in on my little scratch, it's really deep but working at it with the polisher made it pretty much transparent. It's not worth the trouble. Squaretrade w/ Accidental damage seems like its worth a shot with the Qnix, though--if they deny your claim they will just reimburse you the cost of the warranty is what I'm hearing. How many people will make it through 3 years with one of these? They die easy it seems like.

I bought a second one from Ecomade Arena@Amazon yesterday, and he sent me a free mouse pad lol. Pretty cool seller and his communication in English is excellent. Again, 2 day UPS shipping from Incheon, SK to TX. There must be some sort of wormhole.

If 3 years is hard to get out of a Korean monitor, then I guess getting 9 years is out of the question? My 24" Dell LCD (1920 x 1200) is coming up on 9 years, hence the comparison.

If 3 years is hard to get out of a Korean monitor, then I guess getting 9 years is out of the question? My 24" Dell LCD (1920 x 1200) is coming up on 9 years, hence the comparison.

Are you overclocking your Dell? Is it precariously held up by an inadequate stand?

Are you overclocking your Dell? Is it precariously held up by an inadequate stand?
No, my Dell 2405 is stock clocked and "standed".

However, the past few months, I've noticed when I turn on the computer, the picture on the monitor is fuzzy for about 10-15 sec. Once it's fully warmed up (no more than 15 sec. as mentioned), then the picture quality is normal. I'm taking that as a hit that the monitor's life is nearing its end.

No, my Dell 2405 is stock clocked and "standed".

However, the past few months, I've noticed when I turn on the computer, the picture on the monitor is fuzzy for about 10-15 sec. Once it's fully warmed up (no more than 15 sec. as mentioned), then the picture quality is normal. I'm taking that as a hit that the monitor's life is nearing its end.

meh, you talked me out of my warranties anyway. The likelyhood of me keeping these for 3 years is quite low.

What are you going to replace it with?

Yeah, it ended up that there was a thin strip of metal that the prong mates with in the back that got loose. I ended up soldering to fix it but the monitor is now trashed due to the following:

I broke the LED back light power connector when I removed it from the LCD panel (I pulled out the whole connector instead of the small plug, which took an insignificant amount of force to do).

After I had taken the LCD panel apart to attempt a repair of the back light LED connector my cat jumped onto my work bench *onto* the panels and left paw prints all over them. I believe she wrecked the light diffuser as this panel only has edge light LEDs on the bottom.

And to make insult to injury I developed a bloody nose while I was trying to repair everything and got blood all over my pixel perfect LED display. This did not clean off.

So now I have $400 piece of fucking trash sitting in my basement, and since this was my third try with Korean monitors I'm saying a big FUCK THIS to the whole mess of cheap piece of shit A- grade trash and waiting for the 27" 1440p 120 Hz ROG to come out.

At least my Eizo FG2421 didn't sell yet so I still have a nice monitor to use. I just miss the 27" screen size and 1440p resolution.

I'm done. Back to your normal daily routines. If someone wants a DVI controller board I have one for sale.

How the fuck did you get the bloody nose?

How the fuck does anyone get a bloody nose? ;)

The humidity is pretty low in the basement (~ 30%) so that was probably the reason. I'll get a couple in the winter time at random which I blame on forced air heating. We rent so no humidifier on the furnace, just one upstairs that covers the rest of the house.

Could have been stress. Your blood pressure was probably rising.

Now I feel like an asshole reporting I got another absolutely perfect display from Ecomade Arena. There's one spot of bleed but it's real minor. Dude sent me a nice Zowie mousepad, too. I told him about how I scratched my first one and I guess he felt bad. He was pretty interested in my plan to remove the film. Nice seller.

I scrapped my plan to de-matte the display though, I kept working at it with some scratch remover and it basically just looks like a spec of dirt now. Most of the scratch is completely transparent. So I have a backup monitor if this one dies, I guess. I don't know. I'd really like to use them both but they're huge, I need to rethink my desk situation, maybe.

What display are you using now, Phil? I saw you were selling your FG again, the pictures you put on Amazon are too overexposed. People are unlikely to pay shipping to return such a low priced perfect pixel eizo, man, you don't have to make it look like it's got white strips on the sides, I know it doesn't look like that in normal lighting. Put up some pictures of it showing the colors. Pictures of a Disney movie or something like that. No black screen, it's not necessary.

Last edited:
Indeed, blood pressure could have been a contributor as well.

I have thought about taking different pictures, and I agree that they could be better. As of now I will use that monitor until it sells and take it from there. I would like to go back to a 27" screen though, but I might see how terrible a 1080p screen is first as there is a 1080p AOC that is supposed to overclock. Or just use the ZR22W that is sitting in the basement for awhile and see what comes out during the year.

I'm not opposed anymore to getting a 2710, but I'd rather just grab on used from someone in the US now. It helps that I have a replacement controller board for when the original one craps out in a few years :).

How the fuck did you get the bloody nose?

I originally thought this was only something that occurred in anime cartoons, however I recently encountered an actual person that would get so stressed about stuff their nose would bleed!

I originally thought this was only something that occurred in anime cartoons, however I recently encountered an actual person that would get so stressed about stuff their nose would bleed!

Like Chief Wiggum said, "If you get a bloody nose it means you are picking your nose too much... or not enough."

Well... if you're on Premier or haven't done the trial, these open box Qnix units from Newegg might be a worthwhile option: I think they have no warranty through the manufacturer and just 30 days through Newegg, but they should be eligible for Squaretrade warranties.

Open Box: 27" QNIX QX2710 2560x1440 QHD PLS Matte Panel Monitor - $287.99 & free shipping (Premier eligible)

Open Box: Perfect Pixel 27" QNIX QX2710 2560x1440 QHD PLS Matte Panel Monitor - $315.96 & free shipping (Premier eligible)

meh, you talked me out of my warranties anyway. The likelyhood of me keeping these for 3 years is quite low.

What are you going to replace it with?
I wanted to replace my old 24" LCD w/ one of these 27" 1440p Korean monitors b/c they're pretty inexpensive (or downright cheap) and OC'able. But if QC issues continue to scare me, then I may just get something from Dell or Monoprice (27" 1440p, of course) when on sale.

I wanted to replace my old 24" LCD w/ one of these 27" 1440p Korean monitors b/c they're pretty inexpensive (or downright cheap) and OC'able. But if QC issues continue to scare me, then I may just get something from Dell or Monoprice (27" 1440p, of course) when on sale.

Well, I resisted the Korean OC monitors for a long time but threw in the towel and quit worrying about getting the best possible deal. I was really impressed with both of my monitors that I got through Amazon, and I suspect ordering them through Newegg would produce similar results. These monitors usually come with a full sheet on the front, if i'm not mistaken. If you buy from ipsledmonitors it will be there, because they do not test them. Both the ones I got from Amazon had no sheet on the front, and I have to assume it's because they were tested. Ecomade Arena swears he tests every monitor that leaves his warehouse. I suspect Newegg sellers are under similar pressure to keep QC in order. The links for the open box Qnixs from Newegg above I think would be a good way to go if you wanted to be able to bin them, those are coming from manufacturer returns "refurbished". You can tell because they have a 5 per person buying limit. So they have a TON of these open box Qnix's sitting around. A lot of them are going to be perfectly fine, people that didn't realize they wouldn't work for them. A lot of them probably were DOA because of this or this and have been repaired. I would be buying those and testing them if I didn't hate Newegg. They WANT you to do that, it's what Premier is for: "test these open box products and see if they work or not, we really don't know." I don't know if I'd be eager to do it with motherboards, but I've sent Newegg back like 10 monitors in the last 8 months, and zero problems (3 of them were Open Box). One of them was even smashed in shipping and it just caused a slight delay in the refund. So with Premier you can test these Open Box Qnix with no warranty (Korean warranty isn't so great anyway) and send em back for free if you don't like them. No restock fee, no shipping charges, no denials based on reason for return . Good reason to just do the month trial anyway, order 3 of them and see if you get a keeper.

Well, I resisted the Korean OC monitors for a long time but threw in the towel and quit worrying about getting the best possible deal. I was really impressed with both of my monitors that I got through Amazon, and I suspect ordering them through Newegg would produce similar results. These monitors usually come with a full sheet on the front, if i'm not mistaken. If you buy from ipsledmonitors it will be there, because they do not test them. Both the ones I got from Amazon had no sheet on the front, and I have to assume it's because they were tested. Ecomade Arena swears he tests every monitor that leaves his warehouse. I suspect Newegg sellers are under similar pressure to keep QC in order. The links for the open box Qnixs from Newegg above I think would be a good way to go if you wanted to be able to bin them, those are coming from manufacturer returns "refurbished". You can tell because they have a 5 per person buying limit. So they have a TON of these open box Qnix's sitting around. A lot of them are going to be perfectly fine, people that didn't realize they wouldn't work for them. A lot of them probably were DOA because of this or this and have been repaired. I would be buying those and testing them if I didn't hate Newegg. They WANT you to do that, it's what Premier is for: "test these open box products and see if they work or not, we really don't know." I don't know if I'd be eager to do it with motherboards, but I've sent Newegg back like 10 monitors in the last 8 months, and zero problems (3 of them were Open Box). One of them was even smashed in shipping and it just caused a slight delay in the refund. So with Premier you can test these Open Box Qnix with no warranty (Korean warranty isn't so great anyway) and send em back for free if you don't like them. No restock fee, no shipping charges, no denials based on reason for return . Good reason to just do the month trial anyway, order 3 of them and see if you get a keeper.

Thanks, yeah, it's true I could get it from one of the American resellers and pay a little more and of course get the ST warranty for 3 years' of peace-of-mind. Another reason that I have pause for the Korean monitors is b/c of the lack of adjustable stand. (Yes, I know I can get an aftermarket stand, but that adds to the cost and complexity.) I have a Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speaker system on my computer and the center speaker is 5.5" high. I think you and/or others mentioned the bottom of the bezel is 3.x" high (for these Korean monitors). That means I'd have to put the monitor on top of something that's a couple inches tall, like a small wooden block, which would look a little odd.

All these horror stories about Korean panels being shipped with defects and problems is why I went with Overlord. I feel like my pixel perfect Tempest was well worth the $500. It is simply one of the best tech purchases I have ever made and I feel comfortable knowing it is under warranty from a USA based company.

All these horror stories about Korean panels being shipped with defects and problems is why I went with Overlord. I feel like my pixel perfect Tempest was well worth the $500. It is simply one of the best tech purchases I have ever made and I feel comfortable knowing it is under warranty from a USA based company.

that's the lazy route. the top ebay sellers won't give you any trouble if you're not satisfied with what you receive, and you can get a squaretrade warranty OR buy from ipsledmonitors.com. i don't think peace of mind is worth over $200, especially considering the overlord branding is extremely ugly :p i will say that it's nice they give you a proper stand, though.

Here are two 40% off codes for squaretrade. Had 3 but used one to buy a $30 3 year warranty for my qx2710

020L0005SCTBQ00J

020L0005SCTBS00G

that's the lazy route. the top ebay sellers won't give you any trouble if you're not satisfied with what you receive, and you can get a squaretrade warranty OR buy from ipsledmonitors.com. i don't think peace of mind is worth over $200, especially considering the overlord branding is extremely ugly :p i will say that it's nice they give you a proper stand, though.

Apparently you haven't seen the 2013 models with the sexy thin bezel. :)To each their own, yes I paid a premium but I have a glossy grade A panel with zero defective pixels, a nice stand, and an address in the continental US to ship to for warranty work if anything goes wrong.

edit: Scribby also posted today the new pre-orders for grade A panels will be $450. So it's a $150 premium now :)

Last edited:

I haven't seen any pictures of the tempest line without that big white overlord logo on it. I figured I would find a way to cover it up. Aesthetically and functionally the qnix xstars are much better than I expected. They do not wobble to the extent I was prepared for and I've seen and purchased monitors with much worse stands at best buy. The eBay sellers gmarketmall and storewithstory are both offering 100% pixel perfect "ultimate" versions cheaper than amazon.

I don't think we're likely to see IPS or pls with native 120hz support too soon. Just kind of playing around to see what's what. Already there was a pretty good difference in black level between the 2 qnix units I tried. I'm a little surprised scribby is claiming 1500:1 cr on the tempest when even green sum says the Yamakasi 2b OC is 1000:1. I would really like a fast IPS or pls that could do low end gray scale a little better. The new AOC PLS I tried out was much better with gradients. That makes me smile and I don't know why. Then you to to scroll on a web page at 60hz when you are used to 96 or 120 and it takes so long for the screen to refresh that it looks like it has geometry issues--part of thd text or picture you are viewing is "longer" than it should be because it hasn't moved yet...

Back