QNAP TS-101 Upload Issue (Upload Size Limit)

Sob Rogue

Limp Gawd
I have a QNAP TS-101 and have used it primarily for a local network drive. I recently lost important data despite backups (Water Damage to PC and Backup..). I learned my lesson and have placed this unit elsewhere.

I'm using the Web-Interface to upload backups. My issue is that I can only backup files less then 800mb. I've been through all the setting and can't find anything that limiting upload. How do I work around this?

Also, is there a way I can map a network drive to it? Using the web-interface, I have to upload all the files individually...it be nice to have the drive mapped and use synctoy or similar software so I don't have to worry about it.

Finally, I'm new to accessing data of WAN, it is always that slow? I tried setting up a VPN, but the unit didn't support it, so I'm guessing in stuck with my 17kb/s second upload/download (not sure if thats good or bad)

Thanks,
Rogue

if its on a network you can map the drive with windows.. go to my computer/tools/map network drive

also what format are you using? fat or fat32?

and 17kb/s up/down isnt right..

if its on a network you can map the drive with windows.. go to my computer/tools/map network drive

also what format are you using? fat or fat32?

and 17kb/s up/down isnt right..

I forgot to mention, this is behind a router. And, not it is not on the same network, that's why I tried to create a VPN to it.

The drive is formatted to fat32. The actual drive is a WD Sata-250gb RE2.

I've just spent he last 2hours messing around with all the setting I could, there is no option anywhere to limit a file upload size.....

Does anyone else with a TS-101 having these issues?

Ok, after another couple of hours of tinkering...this is what I've found:

Using the 'Web Manager' over LAN -Or- WAN, I am only able to upload about 1gb (Limit).

I'm not sure exactly what the peak value is...but using crude trial and error anything under 950mb worked, and anything or 1.2gb failed. It is weird though, if the file is over that 1gb peak, and you press the upload button, nothing happens, whereas if the file is under and it accepted it, the cursor would get the hourglass page would freeze until file was fully uploaded. This not doing anything behavior when the file is bigger then 1gb leads me to think that there is in fact a peak file size seeing how it does not even attempt the upload.

Once I put the computer on the other side of the router, and mapped it, I could put as much data as I wanted onto it. Already knew that though....So

Knowing all this, is there an efficient work around, to mapping the drive through a router? I have the NAS behind the router for extra security (All My Backup Info), and would like to keep it in that setup if at all possible.

SETUP:
WAN ----> Modem ----->Router---(Lan)---->Router(TS-101)

Only Idea that I can think of is to put another PC onto the router behind it with the NAS, then VPN into that computer which will have the drive mapped, and either connect directly to the drive or instead of sharing the drive, create a temporary directory(shared) and using software to copy data from that directory, out onto NAS and deleting from temp directory afterwords.

Any better Ideas?

I appreciate all the help,
Rogue

Back