QNap - Data recovery

MrHood22

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a QNap TS-410 and I guess something went wrong with the firmware update because i've had problems since. To put it briefly:

Background:
-Went to update firmware
-Prompted to restart.
-Upon restart, QNap wasn't recognizable by computers on network
-Only recognizable without hard drives in
-Did firmware recovery and it worked
-Now I appear to have all functionality EXCEPT my data is not there. The Qnap sees the drives but they appear to be unmounted.
-A resource** suggests the data may be there but the partition table/array table is lost.
-If you recreate the table you should be able to get most or all of your data
-If that's not the case, is there any other way I can go about this? I was told it's easy to recover info since it's Linux based.

Any ideas?

** http://www.manningproductions.com/blog/2011/02/recovering-lost-data-from-qnap-raid-5-array/

Contact QNap support. They can probably recover it. I've seen Synology recover data like that.

Do nothing else with your drives period. Call QNAP and have them help you.

Do nothing else with your drives period. Call QNAP and have them help you.

Contact QNap support. They can probably recover it. I've seen Synology recover data like that.

I did try to contact them last night and they were pretty worthless :/

The product is excellent (when it works correctly) but their support is terribad. In the past 3 days I have made 2 forum posts, 2 support tickets (separate issues), and called. I still do not have any responses to my forum post or support tickets. When I called he remotely connected and within a minute he said the only way I can fix it is reformat the drives and start from scratch...I read several posts on the QNap forums of people recovering Raid 5's and they said the Qnap rep was quick to say it's all lost. Several threads have mentioned that issues like this are usually resolved by rebuilding the array and that results in minimum to no data loss. However, I don't know much about that and there aren't many directly related answers.

What pisses me off is as soon as the guy connected he said there was no way to recover the data. I asked him how it could all disappear and was it related to the firmware update. He told me the only way the data would be deleted is if I deleted it all intentionally (reformat, factory data reset, etc). which I know I didn't do. Idk, seems like he was just quick to give up.

Wow. Don't buy Qnap I guess. Synology support is far better than that.

Yeah...bummer. I started reassembling my raid last night and when I woke up this morning my firmware version was like "15.051****". Replace the Asterisk with random gibberish/special chars. I hope the unit is not messed up :/

I'm getting close to realizing my ~6tb of data is not something I have the ability to recover. I have a few last ditch things to try and then I think I will just have to reformat and start from scratch. If the QNap is broken I will probably end up using a home built PC as my solution. I can probably accomplish the same thing with Linux freeware.

If QNap is like Synology then you may be able to recover it in a PC. Synology is basically just LVM.

If QNap is like Synology then you may be able to recover it in a PC. Synology is basically just LVM.

I think QNap is supposed to be based off of Debian/Ubuntu. I'm going to see if I can connect on of my QNap hard drives to my PC while running Ubuntu off of a flash drive. Some people said they have trouble mounting it so we'll see how that goes. There's not a lot of information on this so it's hard to say. In a perfect world it would be as easy as plugging in all 4 hard drives and then copying the data to other storage but nothing in life is ever easy lol. I assume I will run into an issue of not being able to get past the array to access the data but we'll see. :confused:

Well you have to backup your nas too.

When we install NAS units for customers we always order two or find a way to develop a method to back them up.

Well you have to backup your nas too.

When we install NAS units for customers we always order two or find a way to develop a method to back them up.

My qnap has been runing awesome, Logged into it tonight to see if there are any errors and i see that the SPU is being used more because of my new SBS & exchange server.

exchange-qnap-usage.png

Might have to do some swapping around and not use the qnap for iscsi any more.. Will be watching it closely for the next Week ish.

Can honestly say, this thing is awesome, would i buy another ? HELLS YES!

Most stuff runs awesomely until it does not, you keep backups for the moment it fails...

I don't know how qnap does it these days, but some time ago I needed to recover data from one and they used custom extensions on EXT3 so the only way to get the data out of it was to download a live cd from their site (really slow) boot it up on a computer and mount the discs there.

Note, this was without raid 5 so mounting the disc was pretty straight forward...

I've owned 2 qnaps both were awesome. Just wish 10g wasn't so expensive on their models. Oh well its been stable for me but I back up what is dear to me when I can.

Qnap are amazing nas. I just upgraded to ts669 pro and this dual core atom 2.xghz cause I can't remember speed is awesome haha

The iscsi performance is blazing. I'm gonna upgrade my ram to 3gb for more iscsi buffer and burst speed.

I have deployed 259pro, 3 X 459pr and 1 X 859 and 2X 879pro and several visiostor. They are awsome and 10gbe is not much more then any other 10gbe.

I would imagine it has to be as big as the shares you are backing up? At least with my Synology I've backed up to a smaller disk, but I ignore one large share which in itself is already a backup of another unimportant computer.

With my Qnap the backup disk was the same size as the internal one so never thought about it.

I would imagine it has to be as big as the shares you are backing up? At least with my Synology I've backed up to a smaller disk, but I ignore one large share which in itself is already a backup of another unimportant computer.

With my Qnap the backup disk was the same size as the internal one so never thought about it.

it pretty much has to be the same or bigger of the raid you are backing up..

it pretty much has to be the same or bigger of the raid you are backing up..

Nope. It has to be big enough to hold what you can fit on it. If you have an 8 TB raid and. 100gb USB you can copy up to 100g of your files and that is all. Qnap doesn't have a image function. They require rsync or another qnap for total replication.

No ... I own an have deployed a few of these. QNAP doesnt do snapshots like other nas or san units. It does actual file level backup. Now it will do a blocklevel replication when using their proprietary method connected to another equal sized nas unit. Other than that you can use Rsync or when you use an external hard drive you actually have to specify the folder and files to backup at the file level.

So if I had a 16GB thumb drive connected I can backup 16GB of files and folders with out any issues, if I have a 3TB hard drive hooked up I can backup ...up to 3tb of files and folders. You do not need an equal sized volume for the USB backups function. Although how are you supposed to backup 8TB of data? Well with another second 8TB nas or a bunch of other storage mediums via usb until you have everything backed up.

I do not have a second NAS right now. But I am in the process of building a complete Windows 2008 R2 domain environment for my home with enough drives to just use RSYNC to backup my NAS.

Back