QNAP 10G switches - any good ?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Frank Bello, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Frank Bello

Frank Bello n00bie

I'm thinking of getting a 10Gbit switch - looking for something small, quiet and that won't break the bank. Doesn't need to be managed. Has anyone here used the QNAP QSW-1208-8C or QSW-804-4C ? They seem just right in terms of offering a reasonable mix of copper and SFP+ ports - and the price has suddenly dropped into the "affordable" bracket - but if there's some horrible "gotcha" with these it would be good to know about...

Thanks in advance,

2. Mr. Baz

Mr. Baz 2[H]4U

Does it need to be managed?

Ubiquiti: https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Net...8&qid=1535228189&sr=1-4&keywords=ubiquiti+10g
    Cisco: https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-SG300-...&qid=1535228189&sr=1-12&keywords=ubiquiti+10g
    Netgear (L2 only): https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Giga...&qid=1535228189&sr=1-19&keywords=ubiquiti+10g

I know this isn't what you are asking for, but you could go all out and get a used 48 port SFP+ Dell Force10 switch on OrangeComputers.

Dell just announced their push to make 100Gb available to smaller datacenters, so I would imagine a lot of their current 10Gb -> 40Gb gear should drop in price some -- though these prices are still what you would expect for enterprise gear.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  3. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

I went with an HP Officeconnect, which is a little more but managed. It is however not silent- it's quiet enough, but the typical rack-grade 40mm fans have the typical rack-grade 'din' to them.

[this is as much for utility as it is for learning; depending on what the solution is for, most of these options mentioned will work well]

4. bbenz33

bbenz33 Limp Gawd

I replaced the fan in my switch with a Noctura and have never heard it again.

5. IdiotInCharge

My used Aruba is going to get 40x20 PWM Noctuas, but I'm hesitant to open up and swap fans on a brand new HP 10Gbase-T switch :D

6. Frank Bello

Frank Bello n00bie

Hi Mr. Baz, thanks very much... the Dell force 10 is well beyond what I have the space for... also the noise level on the QNAP is 18.7 dB(A) and the Dell is 59.6 dB(A).

Re: Office connect - I guess the model nearest to the QNAP would be the 1850 6XGT 2XGT/SFP+ (JL169A), but the noise level is 45 dB, whatever I buy has to go in a home office space where I am on the phone all day, so noise levels are important. The 45dB wouldn't be so bad, except I have a bunch of kit already...

I've pretty much decided to buy the QNAP, unless someone here has had bad experiences with it.

IdiotInCharge - agreed, I wouldn't want to void the warranty in order to swap the fans.

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  7. IdiotInCharge

This is what I have- it's not the volume of the noise under normal conditions, just the 'din' of it- the pitch isn't bad, it just has that 'electronics in the background' atmosphere to it. Obviously if the switch got hot either due to load or due to environment the fan noise would increase significantly.

[one thing I'm going to ask HP if I remember is if replacing the fans would void the warranty- they very well could be user serviceable]

8. Mr. Baz

Mr. Baz 2[H]4U

(y)

I forgot that the Dell networking equipment is quite loud.

9. mikey976

mikey976 [H]ard|Gawd

if when you get the qnap post your findings, ive been looking and cant find any reviews besides one amazon review for the 8 port model qnap