QEMM386 remembering

flynlr

2[H]4U
was cleaning out the garage yesterday and found My Quarterdeck QEMM386 program.
soon as the digicam batteries are charged ill post a Pic. anyway anyone else remember this masterpiece.? what I remember the most is everything must be loaded into upper memory or else. loadhigh etc is your friend.

mmm load high - what a mean trick ... u'd always think it would maginally work everytime ... naw . . . never ... hehe

now that's a flashback ... i remember using that to squeeze more performance out of my 486 dx/40 for playing "tie fighter".

silly lucas arts and their obsession with EMS memory management. i had to create a load menu just for config.sys and autoexec.bat just so i could avoid floppy disk failure for different boot configurations.

yep, my first foray into PC programming was setting up multiple config.sys and autoexec bat files from menus. I remember QEMM386, but didn't use it much.

Ah the days....

By the time I found out about that program I was already more efficient than the program in setting up my config.sys/autoexec.bat. :cool:

Phoenix86 said:
By the time I found out about that program I was already more efficient than the program in setting up my config.sys/autoexec.bat. :cool:

Yep, which is why I didn't use it much. My memory is hazy, but my first PC was a 286, which had even worse memory issues, but QEMM386 didn't come out until quite a bit later, IIRC

Some of these kids today don't know how good they have it. Now all you have to do is pop the CD/DVD in and click the install button to load a game.

djnes said:
Some of these kids today don't know how good they have it. Now all you have to do is pop the CD/DVD in and click the install button to load a game.

Im trying to remember, didn't Wolfenstein 3D have one of the first built in memory managers, that would take whatever memory was there and automatically use extended or expanded or whatever the hell it needed....?

Steel Chicken said:
yep, my first foray into PC programming was setting up multiple config.sys and autoexec bat files from menus.
Ah the days....

Same here. I remember one game wanted something like 620K of conventional memory and I had to work it to get above ~615K free.

I always just used memmaker since qemm crashed my system a lot.

Back