Q9550 Quad Core - Different cores have different temps?

• Thread starter Deleted member 72990
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 72990

I recently installed a Q9550, core temps are as follow:

Core 0 - 46 C
Core 1 - 42 C
Core 2 - 47 C
Core 3 - 47 C

This is at idle. I wonder why Core 1 would be that much cooler. Also, are those temps too high for idle?

I wouldn't worry about differences that small.

I would say that is a bit hot for idle temps but what really matters are your load temps. Have you run Intel Burntest?

Running a demanding game like A-10C gets the cores up to about 67 C. Prime95, it goes up to 99 C.

Running a demanding game like A-10C gets the cores up to about 67 C. Prime95, it goes up to 99 C.

Yeah that is bad. at 99C the chip is almost certainly throttling to protect itself.

67C in-game would be about what you would want to see in a demanding game that was actually using all 4 cores. Most games still only make use of one or two cores, and obviously you're not getting a realistic load temp with half your cores idle. I've never heard of A-10C before but a quick google search would seem to imply the game only makes use of 2 cores.

I believe TjMax for your chip is 100C. You should attempt to stay at least 10C away from that under a worst case scenario such as Burntest (which will stress your chip even worse than Prime95).

I would say that is a bit hot for idle temps but what really matters are your load temps. Have you run Intel Burntest?

Even for 3.6GHz?

Bjorn, your load temps are high for sure. What heat sink and cooler do you have? Are you completely sure it´s sitting well with perfect amount of decent thermal paste?

Mine idles at: 46 38 43 44.

Load temps (100% on all cores for a few minutes): 66 58 64 62 celcius

I think I might take off the cooler and re-apply soon though.

Considering getting a Q9650 and OC´ing that one to make this machine last until 2014, since I will be getting a i7 2960XM powered laptop soon. Do you know what to expect in terms of speeds GotNoRice? Sure I will google this as well :)

Last edited:
Even for 3.6GHz?

Well idle temps tell a fairly incomplete picture, as your chip really isn't generating that much heat at idle. Obviously hitting TjMax at load is too hot regardless of the speed. Ambient temperature is going to affect idle temps more than anything.

Considering getting a Q9650 and OC´ing that one to make this machine last until 2014, since I will be getting a i7 2920 powered laptop soon. Do you know what to expect in terms of speeds GotNoRice? Sure I will google this as well :)

I run my Q9650 @ 4.4Ghz using 1.4volts and with LLC enabled. I usually idle around 40-45C and burntest load temps are in the low-mid 80's. The main factor is going to very likely be how high of an FSB your motherboard can support however. I had good results using my old P5Q-Pro

I think there is a good chance my heatsink is not seated properly. When i replaced the chip, i had a really hard time getting the teeth to grab into the motherboard.

I currently have a Scythe Mini Ninja with 92mm antec fan attached to it, with its own dedicated air inteake.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185046

Can somebody please recommend a good replacement heatsink? Vertical clearance is a concern as i have a silverstone HTPC case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163117

This is how the inside of my case looks, to give an idea for clearance

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j271/Bjornb17/plane460.jpg

Also have 4x120 mm fans mounted on top:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j271/Bjornb17/DSCN2414.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's high. I have 2 q9550 systems and all of the cores idle at around 30, and max at around 65. Something isn't right...

That's high. I have 2 q9550 systems and all of the cores idle at around 30, and max at around 65. Something isn't right...

I don't think you can directly compare your results like that. What cooler are you running? What speed are you running your chip at? How much voltage? What is the air circulation in your case like? What are your ambient temps? What kind of load are you talking about when you say "max", because the difference between a game and something like Prime95 can be as high as 15C or more easily.

I don't think you can directly compare your results like that. What cooler are you running? What speed are you running your chip at? How much voltage? What is the air circulation in your case like? What are your ambient temps? What kind of load are you talking about when you say "max", because the difference between a game and something like Prime95 can be as high as 15C or more easily.

Good point. 1 is running an H50 push/pull, the other a Xigma Dark Knight. Voltage are 1.3 and 1.32. One is in an Antec P182 and the other a Corsair 650D. Both are at 4ghz. 3.6 should require much less voltage so even with a 92mm cooler, the temps should be good.

When i run IntelBurn, i gets up to 99 C wihin just a few seconds, and then when i stop it, it almost immediately drops back down to 50's. There must be bad contact with the heatsink for it to heat up and dissipate so quickly.

anybody know where i can buy replacement spring screws for LGA775 processor? I think that would help me a lot, seems that one of mine has lost the bite. EDIT: I just ordered a bolt-through kit. I'll see how that works!

Last edited by a moderator:
anybody know where i can buy replacement spring screws for LGA775 processor? I think that would help me a lot, seems that one of mine has lost the bite. EDIT: I just ordered a bolt-through kit. I'll see how that works!

With my xigmatek s1283 ($30 cooler currently on newegg) my 3.8ghz o/c 9550 gets to 78C or so on the core temps after 8 hours of prime95.

If you aren't getting simliar than something is wrong. It doesn't matter how hot the cores get, they are totally inaccurate readings, but you don't want them above 95C which is the thermal throttling cut off.

I run my q9550 at 1.3v with my nb voltage at 1.28v with old ddr2 ram on an asus p5q pro. It has been rock solid for 3 years now. I used AC5 when applying and just the stock mounting, not any backplates. I know right now on newegg the dark knight version can be had for $15 after rebate. Something to think about.

CompuTronix said:
The CPU temperature in BIOS is exactly that; CPU temperature (Tcase), not Core temperature (Tjunction). The differences are explained in detail in my Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide - C2D and Quad Temp guide by Computronix

Core 0 is factory miscalibrated. You can calibrate CPU temperature and Core temperatures in SpeedFan by using my Guide. You can also calibrate Core temperatures in Real Temp. Inconsistencies in Core temperatures have been discussed in depth numerous times on the Real Temp thread at Xtreme Systems

here is my [email protected], no problems in games, folding, etc (+3 years)

Capture043.jpg

it was @3.9 before but it used to give me BSOD in BFBC2 only.

I recently installed a Q9550, core temps are as follow:

Core 0 - 46 C
Core 1 - 42 C
Core 2 - 47 C
Core 3 - 47 C

This is at idle. I wonder why Core 1 would be that much cooler. Also, are those temps too high for idle?

Probably inaccurate sensors at low temperatures. Remember that 47C is cold for an Intel processor. Also 1 core could be getting a little more work than the others as a processor is never really totally idle..

Bjorn,

Those temperatures are INDEED a problem. As you said, the heatsink is most likely not seated right.

A couple of options:

1. Let it go - In that case you are greatly riskign damaging the processor and I doubt it will last you until 2014
2. Reseat the heatsink - This may be all it needs! Slather on some new thermal paste and test again!
3. Buy a new heatsink - I would recommend this - It doesnt have to be expensive either. I would suggest the Cooler Master Hyper 212+, it's about $25 shipped and keeps my processor cooler/on par with than a lot of "premium" heatsinks that are double and triple the price.

Bjorn,

Those temperatures are INDEED a problem. As you said, the heatsink is most likely not seated right.

A couple of options:

1. Let it go - In that case you are greatly riskign damaging the processor and I doubt it will last you until 2014
2. Reseat the heatsink - This may be all it needs! Slather on some new thermal paste and test again!
3. Buy a new heatsink - I would recommend this - It doesnt have to be expensive either. I would suggest the Cooler Master Hyper 212+, it's about $25 shipped and keeps my processor cooler/on par with than a lot of "premium" heatsinks that are double and triple the price.

Thanks for the info - tried reseating the heatsink but it seems the problem is that i stripped out the thumbscrews that hold it down on the board. I ordered a backplate with some new spring screws that will hold it snugly - should do the trick! I'll report back in a few days after i get it set up! The heatsink I have worked fantastically with my E8400 that I just replaced.

So I bought a bolt through kit and re-applied thermal paste. Running Prime95 it gets up to about 85.... great improvement! I think i will try to run a lower voltage to see how it goes.

...no problems in games, folding, etc (+3 years)

If you are running that Zalman cooler in your sig you may want to upgrade that. I ditched mine for a Prolimatech Megahalems and I never get past 62c on IBT. Running mine at 4.0. I can run it at 4.25 but can't really tell a difference to make it worth the extra volts required.

I had the great idea of reversing the airflow in my case..... now the 2 80mm fans in back blow inwards, plus i put a 92mm fan on the side intake on the heatsink (upgraded from 80mm), and i actually took off the 4 fans on top - letting the hot air escape by convection. I think that solved the problem! System is idling in lower 40s/uppper 30s and prime95 takes it up to about 88c. still a bit warm but never more than 65 C for normal heavy gaming operation..... plus the system is nearly dead silent with only 3 fans. Plus i upped the CPU to 3.8 ghz.

Back