Q9550 E0 Stepping - Where can I get one?

Hoof

Limp Gawd
Well I'm ready to pull the trigger on my new build, only thing holding me back is waiting for the E0 version of the Q9550 to be available. I know it was officially released on 8/22 but when can we expect it to be available for purchasing on the egg and such :confused:

I plan to overclock so I want to squeeze as much from this cpu as possible. :D

Edit: Am I better off just getting a Q9650 now with guaranteed E0 stepping? I really don't want to wait another month of two just for the E0.

Well I'm ready to pull the trigger on my new build, only thing holding me back is waiting for the E0 version of the Q9550 to be available. I know it was officially released on 8/22 but when can we expect it to be available for purchasing on the egg and such :confused:

I plan to overclock so I want to squeeze as much from this cpu as possible. :D

Edit: Am I better off just getting a Q9650 now with guaranteed E0 stepping? I really don't want to wait another month of two just for the E0.

I could be wrong, but I don't think E0 makes that much of a difference. I read an article that showed a difference of about 3-6% on the Q6600's in regards to watt usage and OC'ability. And even then, you're still rolling the dice on whether or not your particular chip will be capable of making the most of it, and the mobo being able to push it to the limit.

If you're that concerned with a few Mhz, then I guess you wouldn't mind spending an extra ~230 USD to be assured of getting it.

Nope they sure don't. You'd just have to wait for them to show stock like I said. Otherwise you'd have to find another site that will guarantee an E0 stepping or just take your chances.

Would a Version #: E34935-001 be an "E0"?

The package date is 07/17/08, so I doubt it, but how do you know?

Hey Mighty Mat I the latest Q9550 in Intel Factory box that I have seen was dated July 23, 2008.

It didn't have the E0 stepping. Had C1 Stepping.
Came from Malaysia. Maby these new E0 chips will be shipping out from another intel factory.

I wish somebody that worked in the IT industry would alreday do a hands on review with this new revision.

My guess is that there are plenty of C1 chips still available so most Intel dealers will be trying to rid their C1 supply first.

It seems to be a very hush, hush thing as to not get this new chip out too fast.

It's a "new chip," but what's different? It's like what intel used to do with CPU versions, only they kept the same letter :p

I could be wrong, but I don't think E0 makes that much of a difference. I read an article that showed a difference of about 3-6% on the Q6600's in regards to watt usage and OC'ability. And even then, you're still rolling the dice on whether or not your particular chip will be capable of making the most of it, and the mobo being able to push it to the limit.

If you're that concerned with a few Mhz, then I guess you wouldn't mind spending an extra ~230 USD to be assured of getting it.
q6600's dont have e0? pretty sure they have g0.

It's still not here yet: http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ParentRadio=All&ProcFam=2774&SearchKey=

and it's supposed to be sSpec SLB8V. Search for that to find the E0 stepping Q9550. It doesn't seem to be available anywhere yet. The PCN didn't have a release date for retail units, just an estimated date that customers (OEMs) *may* start receiving E0 Q9550 parts:
Forecasted Key Milestones:
Date Customer Must be Ready to Receive Post-Conversion Material: Aug 22, 2008
Date of First Availability of Post-Conversion Material: Aug 22, 2008

The date of "First Availability of Post-Conversion Material" is the projected date that a customer may expect to receive the Post-Conversion Materials. This date is determined by the projected depletion of inventory at the time of the PCN publication. The depletion of inventory may be impacted by fluctuating supply and demand, therefore, although customers should be prepared to receive the Post-Converted Materials on this date, Intel will continue to ship
Retail units usually lag by weeks.

The released on 45 nm technologies intel processors with two and four core, based on E0 stepping , already demonstrate their decent overclocking potential. If the dual core models promised to pass to the new stepping after 18 July , then four core solutions will be pass only in November. Intel company published this information , according to which the box version core 2 Quad q9550 (2.83 GHz) will pass to E0 stepping already on 22 August . The Marking will be updated from SLAWQ to SLB8V, the new processors require a bios update . Let us recall that on 10 August this processor will fall in price from $530 to $316. In the first quarter 2009 intel will start the removal process of this processor in order to clean the way for next generation Nehalem.

http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-5926-view-Core-2-Quad-q9550-E0-stepping-on-22-August.html

How do you tell the stepping? I'm looking at mine and see no codes like what have been listed here. Mine may be a B0?

No, C1 will work just fine. But if you want the "max" overclock, get a hold of the E0 version. Who knows when those are coming out though.....

No, C1 will work just fine. But if you want the "max" overclock, get a hold of the E0 version. Who knows when those are coming out though.....

I honestly couldn't care less about overclocking (GASP! HORROR :D). I work with what I have. Hope you guys get the revision you're looking for.

I haven't seen anyone reporting that they've gotten one yet from any retailers.

I'm holding out a couple more weeks, when someone does get one can you let us know please.

These things will take a while. Even after they're shipping in volume (which may only just be starting now), Newegg and most other retailers will never guarantee stepping. People looking for G0s were occasionally disappointed months after they were released. In fact there are still threads asking if there's any way to get a guaranteed G0. Other than companies that sell guaranteed steppings at a premium, or buying at a local store / show, you're not going to be guaranteed a new stepping for a while.

These things will take a while. Even after they're shipping in volume (which may only just be starting now), Newegg and most other retailers will never guarantee stepping. People looking for G0s were occasionally disappointed months after they were released. In fact there are still threads asking if there's any way to get a guaranteed G0. Other than companies that sell guaranteed steppings at a premium, or buying at a local store / show, you're not going to be guaranteed a new stepping for a while.

I understand that buying one will be a lottery once they are released. I just want them to be released already!!

Just to add to the discussion, I received my Q9550 from Newegg:

Ordered: 8/27/08
Received: 9/2/08

S-SPEC: SLAWQ (MALAY)
Pack Date: 07/18/08

So, there you have it...C1 Stepping...but not matter, not like I plan on overclocking. Kinda kicks the crap out of my old CPU (P4, 2.4 GHz), so I'm staying put. Heh.

Just to add to the discussion, I received my Q9550 from Newegg:

Ordered: 8/27/08
Received: 9/2/08

S-SPEC: SLAWQ (MALAY)
Pack Date: 07/18/08

So, there you have it...C1 Stepping...but not matter, not like I plan on overclocking. Kinda kicks the crap out of my old CPU (P4, 2.4 GHz), so I'm staying put. Heh.

I bought one about a week ago from a different vendor and received a Q9550 dated to be packed on the 23rd of July 2008 and it too was the SLAQ type.

Looks like Newegg still has some old stock sitting around that they are trying to get rid of.

C1 is no slacker by any means. It bumped up my 3dMark06 score by over 2000 pts from a [email protected].

Also games like UT3 and Crysis love Quad Core technology.

I gained 40 more FPS in the CS:S stress test, with going from a E6600 to the Q9550, FYI.

Even though they allegedly shipped in late August, it seems like either none of the retailers have them, or they're stashing them so they can move their old stock first. I can't find em anywhere!

I've been annoying the hell out of the guys at my local Micro Center by dropping by once or twice a week asking about them. I thought it was strange that none of the employees there seem to have ever heard of an sSpec #, even though MC is a place that sort of caters to the build-it-yourself crowd. Maybe they're just playing dumb because their boss told them to move the old stock...?

Spoke with the guy at Microcenter and he said after the next 7 (6 now because I bought one) C1 stepping Q9550's, they will have E0 steppings. I just got all the parts for my computer (minus 4 case fans), so I think I'm going to go ahead and build it with the C1 Q9550. I don't feel like waiting a week or two in hopes that they'll have E0.

I also went ahead and built my computer with a C1 Q9550. Just not worth the wait....

Is it true that these 45nm processors are really temperamental with overclocking? Nothing could be worse than my 1.325 vid q6600 I just bought, but I would prefer to not go through this disaster again.

Is it true that these 45nm processors are really temperamental with overclocking? Nothing could be worse than my 1.325 vid q6600 I just bought, but I would prefer to not go through this disaster again.

I've read about people having problems with the newer 45nm Intel CPUs because the mother boards that were being used needed a BIOS update.

I'm using a DFI P45 JR T2RS mATX MB and I have used a Q9550 C1 stepping, E8500 E0 stepping and Q9400 R0 stepping with no problems and have been able to get a decent OC with each.

From what I have read online the new E0 stepping Q9550 will be worth the wait.

I checked my local Fry's a few days ago to see if they had the E0 stepping Q9550. All they had in stock were C1 types.

***NOTE****

The C1 stepping Q9550s that I saw at Fry's were dated 9/7/2008 and the box was smaller than the Q9550 C1 that I had about a month ago.

That might have been the last of the C1 steppers.

Looks like the dude below that one got one as well. This is getting kind of tempting.

I am planning on taking a ride to microcenter this morning to go hunting for e0.

I will keep everyone posted. ;)

I've read about people having problems with the newer 45nm Intel CPUs because the mother boards that were being used needed a BIOS update.

I'm using a DFI P45 JR T2RS mATX MB and I have used a Q9550 C1 stepping, E8500 E0 stepping and Q9400 R0 stepping with no problems and have been able to get a decent OC with each.

From what I have read online the new E0 stepping Q9550 will be worth the wait.

I checked my local Fry's a few days ago to see if they had the E0 stepping Q9550. All they had in stock were C1 types.

***NOTE****

The C1 stepping Q9550s that I saw at Fry's were dated 9/7/2008 and the box was smaller than the Q9550 C1 that I had about a month ago.

That might have been the last of the C1 steppers.

I doubt Q9550 E0 will be that much better than C1 stepping. They will require lower voltage than C1, but not much lower. And likewise, they will run at lower temps, but not much lower. They will still have the same multiplier, don't expect to get Q9650 numbers. My Q9550 C1 can hit 4Ghz, albeit barely. I haven't been able to get it stable at too much higher than 4.000Ghz, though I haven't tried that hard. I would imagine E0 will be the same, maybe slightly higher clocks on average, just with slightly lower temps and voltage.

In my opinion, it wouldn't be worth the wait unless you were dead set on hitting 4Ghz for 24/7 usage. And even then, it's not guaranteed.

Back