Q9450 - Stock speeds - Core Temps OK?

ReelMcCoy

Limp Gawd
Just put together a Gigabyte X48-DQ6 with a 9450 with a lapped TRUE, 8GB of G.Skill 1066MHz DDR2. MemTest86+ was happy so off to Vista 64 install. Installed Everest Ultimate 4.5 and idle, I see about 32C with core temps of 50, 50, 42 and 42. Prime 95 load hits CPU temp of about 42 and core temps of 60, 58, 52, 53 or thereabouts. Room temp is 83F. Do these core temps seem out of whack? I used OCX's Freeze Extreme rather than my usual AS5. The CPU temp doesn't seem too bad at load but I'm not sure where that's read vs the cores. Think a TRUE reapply/reseat is in order? This is in an older Stacker case with plenty of air flow and a Rexflo 120mm PWM fan on the TRUE.

Ripped the system apart and used AS5 this time. Load temps via Everest is 45 with cores of 61, 61, 55, 55. No improvement at all and time will tell if the temps drop after AS5 curing. RealTemp reports 52, 52, 46, 46. I'd open it up one more time but I'll see what happens when the AS5 cures. At least this tells me using stuff other than AS5 like OCZ's Freeze Extreme or Arctic Cooling's MX-2 will get me the same/better results without having to treat AS5 with kid's gloves getting somewhere where it shouldn't be.

Im using a stock Lian Li A05b GA-EX38-DQ6, Q9450 w/ Tuniq Tower (fans speed set to 1500rpm) using Arctic Silver Ceramique, at stock speeds in this screen encoding a DVD for my Zune.....

tempstw8.jpg

I think your temps are a little high. Maybe im wrong though.

Ummm, 39c is too high? Granted in your S/S it's only showing ~2/3 utilization, but 39c is totally fine. How are the temps when loading 100%, ie: Prime95?

I'm with Kush. Would be curious what your temps are at full load.

I have a feeling I'm going to take this thing apart one more time but use a different heat sink this time. Or at least check for flatness on the TRUE. It was purchased lapped. But that's a task for next weekend. :)

Ummm, 39c is too high? Granted in your S/S it's only showing ~2/3 utilization, but 39c is totally fine. How are the temps when loading 100%, ie: Prime95?

you mean me? hell im happy with mine. i meant the OP's temps seem off

Just put together a Gigabyte X48-DQ6 with a 9450 with a lapped TRUE, 8GB of G.Skill 1066MHz DDR2. MemTest86+ was happy so off to Vista 64 install. Installed Everest Ultimate 4.5 and idle, I see about 32C with core temps of 50, 50, 42 and 42. Prime 95 load hits CPU temp of about 42 and core temps of 60, 58, 52, 53 or thereabouts. Room temp is 83F. Do these core temps seem out of whack? I used OCX's Freeze Extreme rather than my usual AS5. The CPU temp doesn't seem too bad at load but I'm not sure where that's read vs the cores. Think a TRUE reapply/reseat is in order? This is in an older Stacker case with plenty of air flow and a Rexflo 120mm PWM fan on the TRUE.

Do you plan on using your Gigabyte X48-DQ6 CrazyCool backplate? If not, could I have it or buy for like $5 or $10? I need a replacement one.

Thanks

I have an x3350 with a tuniq tower on a DFI LT X38 and notice high idle temps as well. I am about 99% sure its just the sensors playing tricks. I can put my tuniq on ~1500rpm and idle at 48 45 46 47, then put it on full blast and idle for the same thing. This is with the side on and off the case. Then I start priming and the chip loads to around 60. This is while overclocked to 3.3ghz on stock volts for everything.

I have tried re-seating the HSF, and I am using the TX-1 paste that came with the tuniq (have as5 coming next week and I will re-seat...again). I have the coolermaster 690 case with 7 fans, so I know there is good airflow. As soon as I get a fan for my NB and rig one for the PWM area I am going to see how that helps temps.

Thanks, PaHick. I have NO clue why I'm seeing such a difference in core temps. I took apart the system one more time and this time I'm using Xigmatek's HDT-S1283 (still with the Rexflo fan since the Xigmatek fan specs seemed screwy). Tried to use the push-pins but ended up using the bolt-through stuff from the Ultra--120. Back to OCZ's compound. End result is the same +/- 1C at load in both Everest and the lower temps reported by RealTemp. Still higher than what you're seeing. Still within spec as far as I can tell and since I'm not going to overclock at this point, I'm just going to let Prime95 run overnight a few nights, monitor the temps and be happy if she's stable.

Seraphic, going to hold on the backplate for a bit just in case there's any RMAing to do.

Back