q8300 to 955 BE for gaming.. worth $35?

Mojo3k70

[H]ard|Gawd
An opportunity has arisen to grab a dirt cheap Phenom II 955be +board from work. My roomate already wants to buy my current hardware so essentially I would just need to purchase new RAM (still using ddr2). An 8gb kit would be what i'm aiming for.

After numerous google searches, I can't seem to find the answer i'm looking for and could use a few opinions from others who have a bit more CPU expertise. Battlefield, after the latest patch anyway, has really started to leave me wanting a little "bump" in juice for 64 player matches (something to just raise the min fps a bit). From what I understand my current processor, albeit also quad, is a little gimped (low cache, no l3 cache etc).

My question is this, for roughly the cost of a decent 8gb kit of ddr3 (35-40'ish), would I see a respectable gain in modern gaming performance? (notably battlefield 3). See sig for rig details.

Also, yes I do plan on overclocking the crap out of the 955 :p

Last edited:
I would do it for $35, but not any more. The increase will be noticable, but not a whole lot more. Should hit 3.7 - 4 if you are lucky on the OC.

For $35, you should see a decent enough increase in speed. So definitely worth that small price of an upgrade.

Agreed. The 955 isn't a huge step up from a 8300 especially if overclocked its still faster at the end of the day and for $35, it is definitely worth it. And the 955 ain't no slouch at overclocking either.

What's the specific board? Depending on what you get, you may or may not be able to push a high overclock.

Thanks for the feedback all. The board is a Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H and it looks like it has all the basics for a decent OC (many options in the bios, all solid state capacitors etc).

Seems many of the C3 955's do 3.7 without even a voltage bump. Of course it may not be a c3 chip :p

Back