Q8200 + True 120 o/c

e-geek

Gawd
So i just picked up a cheap quad, q8200, and finally got around to setting up a push/pull setup on my true. Anyway i upped the volts by 0.125 changed fsb to 428 and its stable straight away @ 3ghz, idles @ 27c.

It seems 3 of the sensors are stuck(core 2,3,4) at a specific temp unless it goes higher. Core 1 - 27c, core 2 - 32c, core 3 - 38c, core 4 - 38c, when i run cryostasis tech demo max details 1680x1050 all the cores get to 38c.

I'm pretty happy with the results so far, time to keep pushing and i will update you.

specs:
Q8200
Asus p5k3 deluxe
Corsair xms3 DDR3 1333 @ 1427
Silverstone strider 600w

the idle temp on the core 2's includes the duo's and quads.. the idle temps are wrong.. so you can basicly ignore those.. only thing that matters is the load temps.. and even then anything under 50C is inaccurate..

the q8200 is not a great overclocker.. so dont expect to hit any crazy high numbers like you see with the q9450/9550/9650's..

Running @ 3.3ghz now, so a 1ghz overclock isn't too bad. temps seem fine by real & core temp (taking into account what you said sirmonkey if it hasnt gone over 50c i assume its under).

Not bad for a budget chip, R0 stepping.

Running @ 3.3ghz now, so a 1ghz overclock isn't too bad. temps seem fine by real & core temp (taking into account what you said sirmonkey if it hasnt gone over 50c i assume its under).

Not bad for a budget chip, R0 stepping.

not bad.. i think the limits some where around 3.4-3.5ghz.. something like that.. cant remember.. it was on the phenom II 810 review done a while back i think or the phenom II 940..

Just try the same frequency as the extreme edition of the same stepping right off the bat on stock voltage. It'll work most of the time. Never up the voltage unless you have instability at stock voltage.

i've been wondering since its multiplier is only 7 does speed step still only go down to 6? Thats not a huge downclock.

Well with speedstep on it goes from 3.3 down to 2.8ghz, thats still a decent drop.

Hyperion0: Yeah i just tried 3ghz @ stock volts, 1.25v. Booted no prob runs 3dmark etc no crashes. It's going to 3.2 that requires a bit of voltage and 3.4 requires 485mhz fsb which is really high so the board might not let it o/c no matter how much volts you give the cpu.

But i guess i'll see as my m/b is volt modded anyway.

Edit: ok so im now in windows @ 3.4ghz :)

Last edited:
Back