Q6700 Stock Fan THAT bad?

ferr

Limp Gawd
I just got my Q6700 CPU and now that I have all my components I would like to make sure they all work BEFORE I void my warranties and install my cooling system. So I toss my Q6700 in, I put the stock fan on it, boot up. Everything works fine and dandy, a little too dandy. I go into bios to check temps and notice my CPU temp is skyrocketing! It's already in the 90s within 15 seconds of being on, then the auto-shutdown hits. The hell? So, I take the HSF off, remove the shitty stock paste (note: it didn't even cover the whole CPU?), put some higher qual paste on, then slapped the HSF back on. Same issue.

I didn't go through a vigorous process of cleaning off the old paste, as it wasn't even covering much anyway.. and the mounting on the HSF is kind of iffy, but I'm pretty sure it's as good as it gets with it. So what's the problem? Does the HSF suck that bad? Should I properly remove the paste and re-apply.. I would think it would at least be somewhat stable, but it's skyrocketing to auto-shutdown temps.. oor should I just skip all of this and begin my water cooling installation?

If I should remove the paste thorougly, what is the easiest technique for doing so, as I've never had to do it before. Don't be afraid to get detailed.. i.e. brand names and where to buy locally.

Are you sure it is seated properly?

That temp is WAY too high.

Just do your watercooling it would probably be a much better idea. Like robo said make sure every thing is setup properly.

S775 CPU's are a pain in the ass to seat. You gotta put some force on the HSF. Oh, and make sure your CPU voltage isn't set on auto.

S775 CPU's are a pain in the ass to seat. You gotta put some force on the HSF. Oh, and make sure your CPU voltage isn't set on auto.

I'm sure it does have something to do with the HSF's seating.. so I'm not going to bother testing with it much more. I've re-seated three times, each time it is questionable. About voltage being set to auto, is this something that I can configure on the mobo? If not, fat chance of me getting into bios and staying long enough to modify anything.

About voltage being set to auto, is this something that I can configure on the mobo? If not, fat chance of me getting into bios and staying long enough to modify anything.

You are much less likely to fluff things up in the BIOS. ;)

It should be a option in the CPU menu.

Back