Q6700 OC'ing - Is Vista more unstable than XP?

prasvt

Gawd
Ehh..so in my continuing quest to get my Q6700 stable at 3.5 - 3.6 I've read scattered accounts that XP 32 seems to be more stable than Vista 64. That being said...I'm using Vista Ultimate 64 right now, but I can always erase it and install win XP32 or XP64. About the only thing i'd have to deal with is fixing the boot manager for my OS X dual boot.

Do you guys think that the OC instability issue is for real? I don't mind going back to XP (even if I can't use all 4gb of ram)...some extra stability would be nice though.

Also, would be nice to be able to use the F'ing uGuru utility (as it just crashes in vista).

If anything, Vista is more stable than XP. The problem is probably that Vista is more system-intensive than XP so if your OC is already slightly unstable it will show more in Vista, which isn't really a bad thing.

Its a myth. If the hardware is unstable in one OS and appears stable in another OS so you switch, then you are just kidding yourself.

Overall, I think Vista 64 is more stable than XP and if anything does crash, it almost never takes down the whole OS. If you are running into OC problems in Vista, going with XP is not going to fix anything, it might just cover it up for a while since it puts less strain on the system.

Yeah that's what I figured. It's probably a good thing that Vista is more system intensive then.

Back