Q6700 + Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

prasvt

Gawd
Hey guys...my second machine's PSU died yesterday and so I replaced it w/ a Corsair 550W PSU - but I also replaced the crappy Asus P5NE-SLI with the Gigabyte board. I don't think it could handle the Q6700 as it was difficult to OC at all on it. I had been running it at 3.6 for the last 6 months on a (dead) p35 board. Anyway, I had 2 1gb sticks of G. Skill DDR2 800 that I bought last year, so I bought 2 more sticks of what I thought was the same thing (F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ). I just realized today that the two pairs have slightly different timings after the 5-5-5-15. I was trying to get 3.4 - 3.6 stable and all would go to a blue screen in prime95 after a few minutes and do a memory dump. Also, I have a feeling my AS5 needs to cure some more b/c prime temps were pushing close to 90C (historically, about 25C higher than usual).

Anyway, so this machine isn't my gaming machine ..it's the "family" computer (ie it's use for printing 90% of the time and then I do folding on it). I'm about to go pick up a 4gb Corsair kit to avoid a) having to run 4 sticks of ram and b) avoid what i suspect is a problem w/ having different pairs of ram.

Am I right in the assumption that different pairs = bad, esp when I'm overclocking?

Thanks.

as long as they are ddr2 800 same manufacture.. you can just manually set the timing on the memory to the slowest ram.. so if 1 is 5-5-5-15 and the other is 5-5-5-18 just manually set the memory to 5-5-5-18.. though when running 4 sticks of ram you may run into issues with reaching the same overclock you had before.. its a known issue with intel and amd that filling all 4 dimm slots will effect the ability to maximize your overclock.. so id say go with the 2x2gb sticks your getting...

also thanks for helping and contributing to Folding@Home..

Back