Q6600 w/ Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Temps

phudog

n00b
Well, I just installed my new arctic freezer 7 on my q6600 w/ as5 and have been getting high cpu core temps...I don't know if these temps are normal but from what i remember the stock temp were lower. Posted is the temps from pc wizard 2008 and core temp 0.99.3

untitled-1.jpg

That is high , but I don't think that arctic freezer 7 was really designed for the Q6600.
I had one on mine, and at 100% load it ran at about 70C.

You might want to look at a different cooler.

I have found that the arctic freezer 7 is great for dual cores but not so much for a quad!

I concur with EvilAlchemist: The AC 7 Pro was not designed with quad-core CPUs in mind and those temps are high.

What kind of air flow do you have in your case & what speed is your CPU fan running?

I did have an AC 7 Pro on a Q6600 for a short while, and I was running @ 3.0Ghz - 71C Full load on a Q6600 G0.

I had two 120mm Sythe S-Flex F for exhaust that helped out a lot.

Also, so AS 5 might help by a small bit, gotta be better then that stuff that is pre-applied to that cooler.

Thats a bit high. My Q6600 overclocked to 3.0 usually in the low - mid 30 C when idling/surfing internet using Vendetta2. I was using stock Intel cooler and it was in low 40 C without overclock. Room temp is 81F. My case is Antec 900.

Chris

Well, kinda sucks that af7 isn't "design" for the q6600. I guess i originally bought it for my e6600, but the temps seem ridiculous on the q6600. knowing this I will probably go back to my intel stock cooler until I can pick up a new hsf. I'll try to let the as5 cure for a couple days and then I will make my final decision.

I don't think it is my case...i have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112121 and it has very good airflow.

what hsf do you guys recommend for my q6600 then? Vendetta?

Even if the AC7Pro is supposedly "not designed" for a quad, your idle temps are still too high. Do you use Speedstep, have you raised the voltage a lot?

I'd pull the sink and look to see if your compound seems to be evenly spread or if perhaps it didn't click down properly. Perhaps your individual Q6600 has a very "unflat" heat spreader and it isn't making proper contact.

I don't quite buy into the AC7 'design' issue. An idle Kentsfield should make less heat than a OC'd, Conroe @100% (like mine - with AC7Pro), don't you think? My 100% temps are your idle temps. I'd only put any weight behind the design issue if you were comparing full load figures with significant Tdp.

According to 5 minutes with google:

Full load TDP of Kentsfield Q6600 is 95W, full load conroe 65W, Kentsfield idle is 16W, Conroe idle is 18W

well, i should possibly increase the rpm of the 92mm fan on the hsf. at present time it is around 800rpm. might try to double that and see how that affects the temp.

so i put the intel hsf back on and now it idles at 40/40/38/40 w/ realtemp and coretemp. guess i will return the af7 pro. Not worth the hassle for me. the fan dented up my northbridge hs too!!!

When I had my Q6600, it would idle at 48C and full load at 58C with uneven contact.

my artic freezer 7 pro keeps my Q9400 Cool ... Even @ 3.2 Ghz 34C Idle / 64C load (prime 95)

so i put the intel hsf back on and now it idles at 40/40/38/40 w/ realtemp and coretemp. guess i will return the af7 pro. Not worth the hassle for me. the fan dented up my northbridge hs too!!!

You did not install the AF7 properly. It works significantly better than the stock cooler on any CPU, and it is designed fine for quad cores as it is much better than the stock quad HSF, so saying that it is not designed for quadcores is a false statement IMO (thousands of ppl use it on quadcores fine). The fin cage on it is lower than most aftermarket coolers and hits the NB heatsink on several mobos that is a known issue. You have to cut off 5-10mm of the plastic cage corner for proper fit depending on mobo. I'm pretty sure you basically just screwed up and did not get full contact with the AF7 if the stock cooler is giving you much better temps.

I'm a system builder and used the AF7 as my staple HSF for anything but the lowest grade comps I built for a while which used stock HSF until the Hyper TX2's dropped so much in price they were nearly half the price of an AF7 for same performance. Both the Hyper TX and AF7 will handle a 6600 fine past 3.0 ghz -- this is from experience and not guesswork. At about 3.4Ghz with an AF7 a "typical" 6600 should get load temps in the upper 60s with AS5, lapping, etc. Idling in the upper 50s is definitely an install or sensor problem.

Agreed, I have an ACF7Pro and there is no way a stock HSF beats it out. I cannot believe so many people on the H say its not designed for quad, what makes it different from other HSF's that stand the same way?

Running Prime95, my temps run:
- 67C according to CoreTemp 0.99 with tjmax set to 100
- 62C according to Real Temp 2.60 with tjmax set to 95

For extreme air overclocking, I think the Freezer 7 Pro is probably a bit on the light side. Its weight is such that it doesn't require a bolt through plate on the underside of the motherboard, unlike many other HSF. I still like mine however :)

You did not install the AF7 properly. It works significantly better than the stock cooler on any CPU, and it is designed fine for quad cores as it is much better than the stock quad HSF, so saying that it is not designed for quadcores is a false statement IMO (thousands of ppl use it on quadcores fine). The fin cage on it is lower than most aftermarket coolers and hits the NB heatsink on several mobos that is a known issue. You have to cut off 5-10mm of the plastic cage corner for proper fit depending on mobo. I'm pretty sure you basically just screwed up and did not get full contact with the AF7 if the stock cooler is giving you much better temps.

I'm a system builder and used the AF7 as my staple HSF for anything but the lowest grade comps I built for a while which used stock HSF until the Hyper TX2's dropped so much in price they were nearly half the price of an AF7 for same performance. Both the Hyper TX and AF7 will handle a 6600 fine past 3.0 ghz -- this is from experience and not guesswork. At about 3.4Ghz with an AF7 a "typical" 6600 should get load temps in the upper 60s with AS5, lapping, etc. Idling in the upper 50s is definitely an install or sensor problem.

+1 OP messed up somewhere or the temp software is off.

the fan dented up my northbridge hs too!!!

It seems obvious there was a fit issue. A shame it did not work out for the OP. I find the quality and performance of the AF7 unbeatable at its price point. High end OCing heatsink- no, Q6600 @ 3.2 - yes.

+1 OP messed up somewhere or the temp software is off.

It seems obvious there was a fit issue. A shame it did not work out for the OP. I find the quality and performance of the AF7 unbeatable at its price point. High end OCing heatsink- no, Q6600 @ 3.2 - yes.

There are pics on multiple forums on how to "mod" the AF7 to fit pretty much any mobo. It takes less than 5 minutes and just a wire cutter or needle nose pliers as the plastic cage is not that rugged. One corner will hit the NB on many mobos; just locate that corner and cut it or break the plastic with pliers = best cooler for the price other than possibly the Hyper TX2 when it goes on sale for $5AR once every few months. (Fry's has it for $15 with $10 rebate and SVC has similar deals). Breaking off the plaster corner does not affect cooling in any way and gives over 5mm more space, if that isn't enough push the bottom aluminum fin corner up another 5mm.

well, never got around to returning the arctic freezer so i decided to give it another try. lo and behold 40 degrees idling and 52 degrees under stress (prime95). I remember before the fan on the af7 was running around 700rpm, so this time around I maxed the fan's rpm to 2400.

There should be settings in your bios for something like Smart Fan Control method and mode which can control how your fan speed ramps. At least for my Gigabyte board, the default setting did not ramp the fan speed much at all. I have control set to legacy and mode set to pwm. But if you don't mind your fan running at 100% then that will work too :)

My Q6600 B3 @2.7ghz 42c idle and 65c 100% load with Arctic Freezer 7 Pro.
Stock Intel Cooler I was getting 65c idle and 85 100% load.

Back