q6600+ TRUE 120 extreme... normal temps?

FinalAura

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently bought a thermalright ultra 120 extreme, along with a yateloon 47cfm led fan. I mounted it onto my q6600 GO stepping w/ as ceramique. My q6600 is @ 3.6ghz and currently under prime95 small fft testing @ 1.450v (bios) for about an hour so far, and underload via cpu-z the vcore is 1.328v (i forgot the voltage in idle in cpuz, don't want to stop the prime right now).

My ambient temps is about 65F or so. My temps are
70/70/66/66 via coretemp 95.4. Are these temps normal with my cpu cooler? I was expecting much lower temps.. maybe 62-66 @ load... especilly since its winter in San Diego.. and its the coldest time of the year down here... I can't imagine what the temps would be like on a hot summer day...

I have pretty good airflow in my case.. at least imo. 2x120 intake in the front, 2x120 exhaust on top, 1x120 exhaust in the back, no window fans.

Maybe I did not mount the heatsink to its max potential? I wasnt quite sure when to stop screwing in the heatsink,,, but its a pretty tight fit i believe. Is there a way to know when i should stop tightening the screws? I'm kinda scared i might break the cpu by over tightening.

Thanks for all the help.

Did you apply any thermal paste on your cpu? That's the only thing I can think of you didn't mention.

And winter in San Diego? What is it, like 60 degrees? :confused:

Yeah i put some arctic silver ceramique paste on my cpu. At the moment, its 47f where I live according to weather.com

That is a crazy drop in voltage, and those temps are on the boarderline, if not already, high enough to damage the chip.

That is a crazy drop in voltage, and those temps are on the boarderline, if not already, high enough to damage the chip.

I'm not convinced CPU-Z reads the vcore right. I'm on the Abit IP-35 (bios 11/12 i think - need to update that) and cpu-z always substantially lower than the bios setting and the Abit Eq app, which appears more reliable (vista64 btw). holli4, do you have this on your IP35-E ?

Agree tho, temps are bit on the toasty side.

For OP, its tough working out how much to tighten the screws on the TRUE, like you say, dont want to damage that chip (anyone care to enlighten if this could happen?) . Try moving the HSF, see if its got much play in it, there was an issue on the earlier models where people were putitng a penny or rubber washer under the retention clip to hold it tighter. Its linked on these boards somewhere, think to XSforums iirc.

I assume those reading are in C, 70C should be fine since the 71C rating of the G0 is not rated from where coretemp reads. Obviously lower is better though. What are your idle temps? I'm getting 30s on my G0 with a tuniq 120 @ stock speeds.

My idle temps are 34/36/32/35. Every temp is in C except for my ambient temp (room temp in SD) which was 47F at the time.

I left my comp on overnight, and woke up to a bsod. My vcore in cpu-z is 1.408idle, 1.328v load. Yeah.. thats a huge droop on this board... Right now, my true is facing blowing air towards the top of my case... I guess i'l try remounting so it blows air to the back of my case.

My idle temps for my q6600 are around mid 40's varies from 43-47 for the cores.

My load temps will hit as high as 65C avg around 60C will vary from 55-65 during prime. This is over a 24hr period of running prime.

70C at load would have me a bit worried. Another thing to note is your Vdroop. On my Asus board is a setting that specifically addresses vdroop. While I still have to set 1.46, I get 1.43 at idle and 1.42 at load. Check if a setting exists on your board.

My idle temps for my q6600 are around mid 40's varies from 43-47 for the cores.

My load temps will hit as high as 65C avg around 60C will vary from 55-65 during prime. This is over a 24hr period of running prime.

70C at load would have me a bit worried. Another thing to note is your Vdroop. On my Asus board is a setting that specifically addresses vdroop. While I still have to set 1.46, I get 1.43 at idle and 1.42 at load. Check if a setting exists on your board.

There is no such vdroop setting on my gigabyte board, unfortunately.

Meh my mate had been running his Q6600 overclocked to 3.6GHz, on some crap ass watercooling, after a few hours of UT3, his Temps were 80-90*C, it's still fine. God knows what it would have been at 100% load. I don't see 70*C damaging it much, mines hit 92*C before, i turned my pump off... sorta forgot to plug it back in...

I get similar temps on mine. Just yesterday I reseated the heatsink and replaced the AS5 with Shin Etsu X23-7783D. Dropped my temps by a few degrees but I'm still hitting 67-68C in prime95. Set at 9x389 and 1.4125v right now. Droops to around 1.325v. Other people seem to get better temps with the same or higher speed and voltage and the same cooling. I think some chips just run hotter than others? I'm not sure if that makes sense given identical ghz/voltage.

That makes sense Promii.

If worse comes to worse, i'm just going to stick with 3.2ghz. 3.2ghz @1.2875(bios) 1.448v(cpuz) is prime stable, and the temps never exceeed 56c. The jump from 1.2875 to 1.45v, which isn't even prime stable, is a really huge jump.. I just thought that my true could handle the temps better.

I also tried 425x8, for 3.4 ghz, but then i'd rather stay at 3.2 and not have to raise my nb and fsb voltage.

Btw, i was using a 400x9 to get this 3.6 ghz.

Back