Q6600 Temperature ; Take a look! Need help please......

Yeh this motherboard use to hit 445 FSB on a E6300.

Now it wont even run a q6600 stable at 1.40 at 333 FSB.

I've tried most things.

The tests aren't helping either. Prime 95 is giving errors @ 333 but not stock.
and IBT wont even pass on stock settings.
Memtest86 running for 8 hours is giving no errors on 333 or 266 FSB.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
To be honest I think memtest is useless unless your ram is is just clearly very unstable. I recently got a couple of bad sticks and I found that IBT is very good at finding ram errors and Ive allways found prime to be much better than IBT at testing your cpu. So to me it sounds like your ram is bad. I know the feeling diagnosing mildly unstabe ram is such a pain.

those temps sure are high for no overclock. I have about 5 degrees higher on all my cores, but am running 3.6. Get a better cooler before you OC. You should probably be in the teens with stock speed/voltage.

To be honest I think memtest is useless unless your ram is is just clearly very unstable. I recently got a couple of bad sticks and I found that IBT is very good at finding ram errors and Ive allways found prime to be much better than IBT at testing your cpu. So to me it sounds like your ram is bad. I know the feeling diagnosing mildly unstabe ram is such a pain.

If it is completely stable at stock speeds, I doubt the memory is bad if he is setting his ratios correctly.

If it is completely stable at stock speeds, I doubt the memory is bad if he is setting his ratios correctly.

He said that he is failing IBT at stock speeds. I just went through the same thing. Passing 16+ hours of prime which I normally find to be better than IBT at testing stability on my processor and failing IBT. It could just need more dram voltage, the timings could be too tight, vNB could be too low (unlikly if it's failing at stock speeds), or the ram could be bad. Ive found Memtest 86+ to be useless, but 3.8 isn't bad. He could try that. IBT gave me the easiest to reproduce errors and during gaming.

I didn't see that it was failing at stock speeds. Maybe try testing with one stick at a time... I've found bad RAM that way.

those temps sure are high for no overclock. I have about 5 degrees higher on all my cores, but am running 3.6. Get a better cooler before you OC. You should probably be in the teens with stock speed/voltage.

My ambient temps at 21C so there's no way I would be in the teens unless you're referring to anything other than air. I'm fine with the temp as long as it doesn't exceed 60C under P95 with max heat stress.

He said that he is failing IBT at stock speeds. I just went through the same thing. Passing 16+ hours of prime which I normally find to be better than IBT at testing stability on my processor and failing IBT. It could just need more dram voltage, the timings could be too tight, vNB could be too low (unlikly if it's failing at stock speeds), or the ram could be bad. Ive found Memtest 86+ to be useless, but 3.8 isn't bad. He could try that. IBT gave me the easiest to reproduce errors and during gaming.

You're right with the q6600 under stock settings (everything set to default) IBT doesn't pass.

So how do you guys suggest I test the RAM? Just boot up with 1 stick at a time and run IBT in Windows?

It's worth trying one stick at a time- do each of the tests on each stick. Also, if you have some other memory you can use/borrow, that will help narrow it down. It is tedious...

oh boy. Alright gonna start with each stick in a bit.

Why the other memory though?

UPDATE:

Ok so I've starting testing my RAM at stock speeds.

So far all 4 sticks are stable at stock 266*9 with 2.1 volts.

Next I'll test in Dual channel config. at stock

If alls good I will overclock till 333*9 with dual channel and see if thats stable.

Then ofcourse I'll put the other 2 sticks and see if thats stable (which I know it won't be)

But for now all 4 sticks tested individually are stable at stock.
Earlier I tried running all 4 sticks together @ stock which was unstable in in dual channel.

Earlier I tried running all 4 sticks together @ stock which was unstable in in dual channel.

That's not a surprise. It's generally not a good idea to run two different brands of RAM together since they don't always play nice together. The RAM itself is probably good.

You're also forgetting the fact that the 965P chipset is weak when it comes to quads. Adding 2 sets of non matched RAM into the mix doesn't help that out at all since 4 sticks of RAM alone is going to be putting more stress on an already weak northbridge with the quad. Your chipset just isn't designed with quads and 4 sticks of RAM in mind. Increasing voltage to the northbridge is going to be your best option. It also sounds like the only way to get the option to change the northbridge voltage in BIOS is to update to a newer BIOS. You might even get better stability with a new BIOS alone.

oh boy. Alright gonna start with each stick in a bit.

Why the other memory though?

UPDATE:

Ok so I've starting testing my RAM at stock speeds.

So far all 4 sticks are stable at stock 266*9 with 2.1 volts.

Next I'll test in Dual channel config. at stock

If alls good I will overclock till 333*9 with dual channel and see if thats stable.

Then ofcourse I'll put the other 2 sticks and see if thats stable (which I know it won't be)

But for now all 4 sticks tested individually are stable at stock.

So, you have 4 1G sticks but non-matching pairs? Try using just 1 set at 333 and see if it is stable. I suspect that using 2 pairs, non-matching is going to be a problem. Memory is really cheap, so if it is stable with 1 pair but not 2, you might consider getting a 2x2GB pair.
Oh, yeah, I agree with Smokerngs- update your bios to the latest available for the best stability before you start spending money!

The RAM is matching and from the same manufacturer.

Its the one in my signature.

Timing are the exact same also for all 4 sticks.

There is no difference between the sticks except for the fact that I bought 1 pair a month after the first one.

Technically none of them are correct: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/intel-dts-specs,news-29460.html

Intel DTS spec says that the Q6600 G0 stepping has a TJ Max of 90°C. You need to change the TJ Max setting in both RealTemp and CoreTemp to give you the correct temp readings.

Hi, I think you are mistaken...Coretemp states the TJ Max on my Q6600 G0 is 100C

tjmax.jpg

most boards overvolt vtt and pll like crazy while set to auto while overclocking and thats the h*ll of alot more dangerous than a 1.4 vcore.

This is very true and good advice and word of caution for people new to ocing. When ocing my asus maximus extreme and leaving the pll voltage to default...I come to find out that the pll voltage is set at 1.7 volts...way toooo high....be careful and monitor those voltages.

If I were you I would start by, as suggested, updating your bios. Then running everything at stock settings and loosen up your ram timings 800mhz, 5-5-5-15, 55trfc(I know this is recommended for 2gb sticks Im sure you can go much lower with 1gb sticks and Im sure someone here knows better than me), performane level 10(if you have this option) at 2.1v. Then run a high but not dangerous northbridge voltage, Im not famlier with your board so I dont know what you should set it at. Then run IBT. This should rule out your northbridge if you pass. 20+ runs would prove to be stable to me. Just make sure that you NB has sufficient cooling.
Good Luck, I know diagnosing 4 sticks of ram sucks.

Drop the cpu multi. take it out of the problem right now and get to testing the ram one stick at a time. I can find weak, bad or ram I can't push to what I want with a short time with memtest. And then fine tune. Can also jack with mem voltage and NB voltage and settings.

We know the p965 is weak when it comes to a quad. We know that most boards don't give up there best OC with all mem slots filled. We also know a Q6600 is now getting to be a weak quad. Yes its getting to be old school. So if you find out the ram is good and FSB speed start pointing to the NB. Don't spend alot of money on a top end board for the old Quad.

Good honest testing will give you the answers. Be it the Q6600, ram or the NB and resulting 965 chipset.

Welcome to OC'ing! You are in the belly of the beast. Now think and test your way out. Its not the GHZ! It's understanding your hardware and what and how you get there. So you have a dude. You learned something. And when you get the magic hardware. You will have took steps to get the ass kicking OC.

Have fun. :)

I can't see any of the SS cause I'm at work. Are you getting your vcore ratings from cpu-z or the bios?

Reason I ask is because some boards are way off. Mine shows 1.42 in bios but cpu-z shows 1.34 @ idle.

Drop the cpu multi. take it out of the problem right now and get to testing the ram one stick at a time. I can find weak, bad or ram I can't push to what I want with a short time with memtest. And then fine tune. Can also jack with mem voltage and NB voltage and settings.

We know the p965 is weak when it comes to a quad. We know that most boards don't give up there best OC with all mem slots filled. We also know a Q6600 is now getting to be a weak quad. Yes its getting to be old school. So if you find out the ram is good and FSB speed start pointing to the NB. Don't spend alot of money on a top end board for the old Quad.

Good honest testing will give you the answers. Be it the Q6600, ram or the NB and resulting 965 chipset.

Welcome to OC'ing! You are in the belly of the beast. Now think and test your way out. Its not the GHZ! It's understanding your hardware and what and how you get there. So you have a dude. You learned something. And when you get the magic hardware. You will have took steps to get the ass kicking OC.

Have fun. :)

Yeh I've learnt that each generation of chipset is designed to best match the cpu's that were launched with it. The 965 was never really meant to be used with a quad core. I mean compatible and overclockable are 2 very different terms as I have found out.

I can't see any of the SS cause I'm at work. Are you getting your vcore ratings from cpu-z or the bios?

Reason I ask is because some boards are way off. Mine shows 1.42 in bios but cpu-z shows 1.34 @ idle.

Vcore is being set in the BIOS and being read from there also.
CPU-z lowers the voltage down to 1.328 and 1.320 intermittently when the system is loaded through P95 with a Vcore of 1.4250.

My board has serious Vdroop and its a documented fact.

I don't think I'l run the q6600 with my board just cos I feel I'm asking too much of it and a quad is out of its league when overclocked.

Also the reason why my board doesn't have the MCH voltages is because its a C1 stepping P965.
The C2 stepping of this chipset was a little more overclocker friendly and had the MCH voltages and extra VDimm voltages also.

But I would sincerely like to thank everyone that has been helping me out.
Hardforum has always been helpful from the day I learnt to overclock.
That was ofcourse 2 years from now and still I'm learning something new.

I'm gonna RMA my q6600 and leave my 6300 running like it was.
Maybe a 920 and a x58 board and some new RAM within 10-11 months is likely but for now I am gonna use my dual-core for a just a bit longer.

Cheers,

Back