Q6600 Temperature ; Take a look! Need help please......

umgill45

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone.

Here's a screen shot of my temps.
All 3 programs are giving a different reading :confused:
Dunno which one to believe.
Non-overclocked, with speedstep and c1e disabled.
I just want to know if I've seated the heatsink properly.
Setup is the one in the signature minus the cpu of course.

IDLE:
q6600_stock_idle.jpg

LOAD:
q6600_stock_stress.jpg

I'm also getting this error from Real temp that the sensor is getting stuck

Core 0 mov'ment = 6
Core 1 = 5
Core 2 = 4
Core 3 = 4

Is this normal?

Intel's TAT is giving 40 on Core 0 and 37 on core 1

:confused::mad:
Thanks in advance to all those who reply.

AFAIK TJmax for Q6600 is 100C. I would trust CoreTemp.

I would not place too much faith in tomshardware anything. You also were only running prime for 2 minutes if im reading correctly. First starting prime my load temps were 50...but after 2 hours the peak was 58. I personally use Tj Max of 100C and IBT 15 runs of max stress...and i call it stable.

well supposedly those tj max numbers came from intel themselves so it seems to be pretty reliable.

The thing is they are supposedly from intel. And as far as im concerned with tomshardware..."supposedly" means..."i made this crap up".

Ok I need to ask a question:
Should I reseat th ecpu or are these temps fine?

2nd question:
I've just started overclocking and at 333 FSB the cpu Volt is 1.42 volts

Its not stable at 1.400 volts.
And this is with a 9X multiplier.(333X9=3GHZ right now)
I don't want to use more than 1.4 volts so do u recommend I drop the multiplier to 8 and raise the FSB.

3rd question is my RAM holding me back in ANY way? I have 2.1 volts and can't give it anymore volts (MOBO is an old one)

Do let me know thanks again.

1.4v on a Q6600 is too high unless your on water or VERY good air. Like the Xigmatek rifle HDT or TRUE with a good fan. Youre likely limited by your motherboard (since you said its old). What chipset is your motherboard?

1.4 for 3.0ghz is really, really high for most Q6600's. Your ram is rated for 400...and if your running 1:1 with your FSB (for Q6600 at 3.0ghzx9) then your ram is only at 333 (DDR2 667 / PC5300).

1.4v on a Q6600 is too high unless your on water or VERY good air. Like the Xigmatek rifle HDT or TRUE with a good fan. Youre likely limited by your motherboard (since you said its old). What chipset is your motherboard?

1.4 for 3.0ghz is really, really high for most Q6600's. Your ram is rated for 400...and if your running 1:1 with your FSB (for Q6600 at 3.0ghzx9) then your ram is only at 333 (DDR2 667 / PC5300).

Actually 1.4 on a 65Nm quad is perfectly fine...I ran my Q6600 at 1.6 for months on water...but 1.5 is about as high as I would go on air. ..as long as your temps are good..

Ok I need to ask a question:
Should I reseat th ecpu or are these temps fine?

2nd question:
I've just started overclocking and at 333 FSB the cpu Volt is 1.42 volts

Its not stable at 1.400 volts.
And this is with a 9X multiplier.(333X9=3GHZ right now)
I don't want to use more than 1.4 volts so do u recommend I drop the multiplier to 8 and raise the FSB.

3rd question is my RAM holding me back in ANY way? I have 2.1 volts and can't give it anymore volts (MOBO is an old one)

Do let me know thanks again.

Dude, I ran my e8400 at over 1.4v (cpu-z) for a while on air 24/7 long Prime runs, 20+ runs Intel Burn Test. Thats nothing for a 65nm chip. If you are really worried about it though pull back on your vcore and fine tune the cpu GTLs that should allow you to stabilize with a slightly lower vcore. More importantly set all of your voltages manually because most boards overvolt vtt and pll like crazy while set to auto while overclocking and thats the h*ll of alot more dangerous than a 1.4 vcore.

Actually 1.4 on a 65Nm quad is perfectly fine...I ran my Q6600 at 1.6 for months on water...but 1.5 is about as high as I would go on air. ..as long as your temps are good..

I know its fine, my point was that 1.4 was high unless hes on very good air or water. 1.5v on air needs a TRUE with a pretty high CFM/static pressure fan. 1.6v on water is pushing it IMHO. Though, thats totally relative as ambient temps in my room are normally between 75-85F.

I dare you to run IBT on a Q6600 at 1.6v on water. Youll approach the thermal shutdown limit pretty fast :D

Ok here are some answers to your questions:

I have a Tuniq Tower 120 and I think temps are not a problem. With stress nothing has reached beyond 55C yet. So yeh if anything its the volts I need to worry abt.

So first things first.

Do I need to reseat the CPU?

Next this IBT thing is giving me errors on default settings (No overclock) ...wtf

Also I don't want to change my mobo yet,.

I've tried some settings

333*9 -----1.40 volts prime stable for 5 min. IBT unstable
349*9 ------1.42 volts prime unstable reboots system.
370*8 -------wont bootup

Come on ppl need help here.
Need some expert advice.

Dude, I ran my e8400 at over 1.4v (cpu-z) for a while on air 24/7 long Prime runs, 20+ runs Intel Burn Test. Thats nothing for a 65nm chip. If you are really worried about it though pull back on your vcore and fine tune the cpu GTLs that should allow you to stabilize with a slightly lower vcore. More importantly set all of your voltages manually because most boards overvolt vtt and pll like crazy while set to auto while overclocking and thats the h*ll of alot more dangerous than a 1.4 vcore.

All my voltages are set manually.

im guessing its your board, try 333 stable first because that will keep the mem:fsb ratio to 1:1 (possibly most stable), one thing i did notice though was that your q6600 has a vid of 1.325 which is known to take more volts for OC's than a 1.2 cpu, but your situation looks to be the motherboard.

im guessing its your board, try 333 stable first because that will keep the mem:fsb ratio to 1:1 (possibly most stable), one thing i did notice though was that your q6600 has a vid of 1.325 which is known to take more volts for OC's than a 1.2 cpu, but your situation looks to be the motherboard.

thanks for the info. Yeh I was wondering why it can't touch 333 stable too.

Its taking 1.42 volts easy but I don't want to stress the motherboard too much.

Anyone know a good o'clocking motherboard thats cheap--max $85 bucks.

A VID of 1.325 isn't that stellar on the cpu's side though.

thanks for the info. Yeh I was wondering why it can't touch 333 stable too.

Its taking 1.42 volts easy but I don't want to stress the motherboard too much.

Anyone know a good o'clocking motherboard thats cheap--max $85 bucks.

A VID of 1.325 isn't that stellar on the cpu's side though.

I bought my DS3L for $85 almost a year ago, its kept my Q6600 stable at 3GHz for that long...

I bought my DS3L for $85 almost a year ago, its kept my Q6600 stable at 3GHz for that long...

What voltages are you running?

I plan on keeping this mobo if most ppl are gettting 3ghz on average with the q6600.

Also can someone explain to me why IBT is giving errors on default settings?

Its set at 1.29375v in the BIOS. I'm not one of those crazy OC'ing people, if it is stable during use thats all that matters. It has never BSOD on my once, ever. I have never run any of those stress test apps though, don't seem to be useful at all if I have never crashed in over a year.

I plan on keeping this mobo if most ppl are gettting 3ghz on average with the q6600.

Also can someone explain to me why IBT is giving errors on default settings?
in that case it might be your memory, try testing all your sticks with memtest, if it fails try each stick one by one.

thanks. I'll try memtest. I'm at work now but will get back to you guys on that.

One more thing (dunno if it helps) but when the system becomes unstable I sometimes get a blue screen or the system just reboots or I get a windows .exe error reporting box. Bottomline the errors seem random not of one sort.

FYI, I got a G0 Q6600 VID 1.275v. Dropped the vcore to 1.25v and increased FSB to 333mhz, running super stable at 3Ghz.

FYI, I got a G0 Q6600 VID 1.275v. Dropped the vcore to 1.25v and increased FSB to 333mhz, running super stable at 3Ghz.

I've tried upwards of 1.42 volts and the system is still not stable at 333*9

Prime 95 reboots the system or it just hangs.

temps are good. Nothing to worry abt.

I ran memtest86 for 8 hours @ 333*9 with No errors.
Then I load up Prime 95 and the system reboots.(this is at 1.40 volts)

After that I up the CPU volts to 1.42 and FSB term. voltage to 1.45 but still system hangs or reboots.

At this point its not my RAM.

I'm not sure what else I can try. :mad:

With 1.39v I am stable at 4x900 with just a slight bump of north bridge. Weird that yours can't even get stable with 1.40 for 333x9.

Yeh this motherboard use to hit 445 FSB on a E6300.

Now it wont even run a q6600 stable at 1.40 at 333 FSB.

I've tried most things.

The tests aren't helping either. Prime 95 is giving errors @ 333 but not stock.
and IBT wont even pass on stock settings.
Memtest86 running for 8 hours is giving no errors on 333 or 266 FSB.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

You're using a 965P chipset board which means that overclocking quads on it is going to be hit or miss. The chipset will overclock the hell out of dual cores but has a lot of trouble with quad cores as the chipset was not designed with quads in mind. The extra work the northbridge has to do running the quads can be too much for it.

I highly doubt your problem is with the CPU voltage. Many many people are able to run Q6600s at 3Ghz on stock voltage or just a minimal bump in core voltage. I have a Q6600 with a VID of 1.325 running 3.4Ghz at 1.42v after vdroop on a Gigabyte 965P-DS3. I wouldn't be surprised if I could get more out of the CPU by running it on a P35 board. I do seem to have had better luck overclocking a Q6600 on a P965 chipset board than most.

Your best bet will be to raise the voltage for the northbridge and make sure it has good cooling on it. Without a bump in voltage the northbridge is going to have a hell of a time running the quad at much more than stock speeds.

The cooling on the NB is sufficient I believe.
I have this for the NB cooler. And its only warm to touch.

I believe I only have one option on the board and that is the FSB term. voltage. there is no other NB related option.

I dont have the last 3 options like this BIOS screenshot has:

imageview.html

I am running my Q6600 with a P5b deluxe. The key for me is the FSB:RAM divider. I have to set it as 1:1 to get good oc results.
I did n't push the voltage on any thing, instead I dropped the Vcore of processor from 1.275V to 1.25V. You might try the FSB:RAM=1:1, see whether 333x9 is stable or not.

System seems to be stable at 320 * 9

CPU volts 1.42

I'm trying Prime 95 at 325*9 with 1.41 volts

The cooling on the NB is sufficient I believe.
I have this for the NB cooler. And its only warm to touch.

I believe I only have one option on the board and that is the FSB term. voltage. there is no other NB related option.

I dont have the last 3 options like this BIOS screenshot has:

imageview.html

If you don't have those options in the BIOS, and the board doesn't require hitting ALT-F2 or something like many Gigabyte boards for some advanced features, you might want to look into a BIOS update. Unless you're running a weird BIOS, I see no reason why you wouldn't have those options in the BIOS.

The 965's don't like the Q6600. When I got my Q6600 I tried it in my P965-DQ6 Rev.1. All i could get out of my G0 was 3.2 ghz. And then it felt no faster than stock settings. Sure you could see better numbers in folding and other bench marks. Fact is it just was not right.

Then I put it on a Asus P5K-P with the P35. All was right! Went straight to 3.6 ghz @ 1.425 with a droop of 1.416. Have had it as high as 4.1 ghz on air with 1.55v. Then the CPU felt as quick as it looked. :) My Q6600 is not one of the good G0's. I looked it up when I bought it, thus showing it was one of the higher voltage chips. And it does have to be volted up to OC. But OC it will.

I've ran the Q in my P5B vanilla board. 3.2 ghz is all it will give up also.

I only run two temp programs. Real Temp and HWMonitor. HWMonitor reads higher than Real Temp. Right now my Q6600 is @ 3.6 ghz and show 1.416v in cpuz. It is folding win SMP on all four cores and feeding two GTX 260's GPU folding And posting here. With a Big Typhoon and high speed Thermaltake 120mm fan and 80mm fan nestled in the bottom of the BT.

Real Temp 0/61c, 1/58c, 2/56c, 3/56c
HWMonitor 0/66c, 1/63c, 2/60c, 3/60c
Room temp 78f. With lots of fans whirring away in the old case.

Get the cpu on a newer board along with reasonable cooling and you should see much better and stable OC's.

S7300315.JPG

Ok looking at my buying options (im in Canada)

which of the two would you guys recommend:

P45

P35

Another reason why I don't really want to upgrade the mobo is that I will have to reinstall my Windows and since I dual boot it's gonna be a pain in the as* doing so.

I have a MSI P6N SLI board which has the same problems as yours- it does not like to OC quads since it was not designed for for them. Mine is stable at 311x9 2.8GHz but is not stable at 333. Same type of errors. It will pass all the tests, and then BS at random. So if you really want to get a good OC, you are going to have to get a P45 board. Honestly, unless you are doing some serious video encoding, you will never fell the difference between 320x9 and 333x9. Even then, I let it encode at night anyway, so it doesn't really matter. If I were you, I would save myself the cost and grief of a MB swap.

I have a MSI P6N SLI board which has the same problems as yours- it does not like to OC quads since it was not designed for for them. Mine is stable at 311x9 2.8GHz but is not stable at 333. Same type of errors. It will pass all the tests, and then BS at random. So if you really want to get a good OC, you are going to have to get a P45 board. Honestly, unless you are doing some serious video encoding, you will never fell the difference between 320x9 and 333x9. Even then, I let it encode at night anyway, so it doesn't really matter. If I were you, I would save myself the cost and grief of a MB swap.

Yeh thats right. I can totally see your point of view.

Part of me actually wants to return the q6600 and save on the $225 I paid for it.
The mobo is gonna set me back another $100 bucks.
Especially since my e6300 was at 3.0 ghz before the change.

Dunno kinda confused.
Been running at 320*9 since yesterday and its stable.

Back