Q6600 Retail for $200, with requests attached

mavalpha

[H]F Junkie
MicroCenter in NJ has it for $200- but they are enforcing a one-per-customer limit. I checked out the ones we have, and they are ALL SLACR stepping.

I have two requests attached to this.
1) We will get in trouble if we don't get a lot of "attachments," so please- PLEASE get something in conjunction with this! Even with an extended warranty, it is still cheaper than online.

2) IMPORTANT: As far as the attachment, and in general: I'd appreciate some light modding work- I am the first and only full-time modder in the company, so I have to prove that my position is justified. Even if you just need a fan-tail sleeved, bring that in. My job consists of sleeving cables, cutting windows (except they need to buy tools first), that sort of stuff. Put it this way- if I'm out of a job, I can't keep posting these heads-ups for you guys. :)

I don't make commission, but the rest of my department does. Make sure you tell whoever helps you that he owes Mike a drink or lunch. :p

Oh, and post back on what you buy, so I can lord it over my co-workers and prove that they owe me. :D

I thought about it....Paterson is just a little too far for me. Hopefully, you guys will branch out to South Jersey. Maybe take over the local CompUSA? I'd live in that place if you guys came down here.

So thats why the CSR asked if I wanted to get anything else before going off to pick up the CPU the other day. I kinda looked around, but didn't really looked hard enough. I rarely goto Microcenter (due to the plethora of Fry's in SIlicon Valley). But I was kind of impressed by the knowledge of the CSR and the amount of "modder" stuff they had there.

I was considering this too, but Patterson is like a 2 hour drive from trenton... The savings on the processor will be spent on gas alone.

mavalpha, can you please talk to the appropriate people & tell them that they need to build 3-4 stores in the Milwaukee, WI area. We are grossly in need of a store that knows wtf they are doing in regards to computer hardware. The last CompUSA store closed down about 6 months ago (but then again, I wouldn't call them 100% knowledgeable).

I'd sooo snatch one of these up if I could :(

Good Luck brother!

I didn't even know anyone at MC DID modding, at least in the PA store. Philly is just worthless I tell you...

Figures I just bought one of these a month ago for $275. That's the way it goes I guess.:rolleyes:

I am planning on picking one of these up, a motherboard and (if microcenter has 2G sticks for $40-$50) 8G ram.

I'd totally go in and have you install a 2x120 rad for me if I was local, too bad im not. :(

Same here OP, from S.I. to Microcenter in NJ it's about a 1hr drive. If I was local theres a lot of modding i'd want done.

Mav ... buddy... I need either an E8400 or Q6600 and 33 or 35 chipset MB to play UT3 @ full sweetness

Only request is that it has to support 667mhz DDR2 cuz I bought 5GB from that HP special the other day and I have 4GB left.

MB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157118
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128084

My brother in law wanted his side cut (gotta ask him) into something simple (like the Verizon Logo-cuz he works there) or something like that.

I was doing a lot of video editing/encoding work, but I havent done much of it since mid November (and honestly I don't miss it cuz I spend more time with the family)

PS: Might be in the market for a new video card as well. Dont know if to go nVidia or ATI

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102719
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129102
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150277

Well, we do carry a bunch of P3x boards- including the DS3L you linked. I'll check the price at tomorrow morning's team meeting. In general, P35 does support 667, so that shouldn't be a problem.

They haven't bought the tools I requested yet, so I'm not in a position to cut cases- I do have a nibbler to tackle the metal, but still no way to cut the plexi afterwards.

I think I've been reading that the 9600GT is pretty even with the 3870, they trade the top spot back and forth. But the 9600GT is supposed to be single-slot, so that would swing me the nVidia way. But that's just personal preference. NewEgg beats us on 3870 pricing though (we have it for $200), and we get the 9600GT in on March 15. :eek:

Oh, and we have the e8000's as well- I think it's the e8500 for now, though.

Robstar:
We do have some 2GB sticks, I think about $45 apiece.

Hi,

I was just in the Micro Center in Paterson on Thursday. I must say I was pretty impressed with the place in regards to the amount of items on the shelf. I was also impressed with the amount of electrical parts and plumbing parts. It's easy on and off I-80 as well. Most of all Urban Enterprise Zone means 3.5% sales tax. That was worth it right there!

The only thing I could gripe about is not enough people in the department. I was there on Thursday afternoon and it was a zoo. I had to wait about 15 minutes before anyone would help me. If those 8800GTs were outside the case, I would have been in and out in 10 minutes. However, I am keeping the place in mind if I need something in a hurry.

later,
shaggy

Mavalhpa> Thanks for the heads up.

Any idea if they have that ram in the chicago store? NJ Is a long drive from chitown :)

Also: What brand is the $45/2GB one?

Rob

I just grabbed one from Chicago - Westmont for $212 after tax, and its a G0 stepping. At the time of purchase there were 115 more... (3:30pm central), as well as evga 9600gt cards for $179 or 189. I think 8800gt are still faster though. I've gotta go back there cuz a CSR gave me a cd-rw drive instead of a dvd-rw :mad:. If I buy another I'll put it up for sale.

Mavalpha..., see if they will ship these to Folding@home regulars :D

I'm looking to purchase one. I even could do 15.00 shipping :D

They need to open up a store somewhere between Santa Monica/West LA and Woodland Hills. There's no way in hell I'm going down to Tustin just for a ~$50 savings on a CPU - would cost more than that in time & gas :(. And Fry's needs some competition already! Oh well, those of us w/ easy access to Fry's have it made on the flip side I guess...Too bad I didn't get out on BF early enough to get my CPU then.

[edit] Ditto on the F@H/[H] supporters idea. That would be sweet to see that. Last time I got a deal due to membership here, it saved me $50+ on my water kit w/ jab-tech.

I got a G0 myself from the Denver store, not sure about the stock tho but my brother law said the employees there were too busy talking it up to help him.

Tustin, CA still has plenty of these in stock. I just nabbed one. G0.

Yep, my buddy and I were there too and snagged a couple... MAY go back tomorrow for another one! This deal side tracked my original plans to wait for the Q9450. Heck, for 60% of the cost, I'll gladly take the 5-10% performance hit. In fact, with my DDR2-800, I'd have only been able to get to 3GHz on the 9450 before having to OC my ram, which I don't really like to do. So if I can get to 3.4GHz on the 6600, I should be able to match the performance. Albiet with warmer temps and more power consumption.

Yep, my buddy and I were there too and snagged a couple... MAY go back tomorrow for another one! This deal side tracked my original plans to wait for the Q9450. Heck, for 60% of the cost, I'll gladly take the 5-10% performance hit. In fact, with my DDR2-800, I'd have only been able to get to 3GHz on the 9450 before having to OC my ram, which I don't really like to do. So if I can get to 3.4GHz on the 6600, I should be able to match the performance. Albiet with warmer temps and more power consumption.

The problem with the 9450 is going to be the 8x multiplier. WIll be hard to go north of 4GHz at x8.

The problem with the 9450 is going to be the 8x multiplier. WIll be hard to go north of 4GHz at x8.

unless you have some value ddr2 ram, otherwise 500 x 8 is a piece of cake. people now days can do 600FSB on ram easily.

Come on!!!! We're [H]'ers! We dont need employees to sway us to the product which usually costs more or they want to clearance out (ie. push) We know what we want... Only when you can't reach the pallet should u ask for help... Half the time, they're in my way or I have to "learn" em. I edumacated an employee a few days ago "DVI is a step up from D-Sub" (that was @ Staples)

I got a G0 myself from the Denver store, not sure about the stock tho but my brother law said the employees there were too busy talking it up to help him.

But it's Quad running slower (until you OC, but you can OC Dual as well) and again, only if the software leverages it. But let's not start another 2 vs 4 discussion. If I can OC a Quad to 3+ on Air then I'm in for it. I was also thinking about hugging trees since I read that the E8400 is more eco-friendly.

$200 for a quad core versus a dual core? That's one of the simplest decisions ever!

But it's Quad running slower (until you OC, but you can OC Dual as well) and again, only if the software leverages it. But let's not start another 2 vs 4 discussion. If I can OC a Quad to 3+ on Air then I'm in for it. I was also thinking about hugging trees since I read that the E8400 is more eco-friendly.

To each his/her own, but it's still a no brainer to me. I'm not sure why people insist that you have to have software designed to use all 4 cores to take advantage of it. You don't. Running several single threaded apps will also take advantage of it.

Back