Q6600 owners... what is your VID?

We need an update to the 1st post with the averages, etc...

It could use a Mode also, even though its obvious from looking at the chart what the mode is.

I don't know what is going on.
G0 1.2125V @ 2.4 GHz
What is a VID?

Your VID is the amount of voltage the cpu needs to run stable at stock speeds, in our case, 2.4ghz - some cpu's are more efficient than others, thus needing less power to run at their stock speed of 2.4Ghz

What this means to you is that generally, the lower the vid the more you can overclock the cpu with less power, and therefore generate less heat for a given clock, therefore making it more likely you can overclock a lot and get low temps, which come into play with stability...

So, in theory, lower stock VID = Better overclocking chip..

That said, I have two Q6600s....and the one with the higher stock VID overclocks better...so who knows...

From very first post:
Here is a shot of mine for reference:
getvidqp1.gif

You didn't even need to read, just look at the picture.

Use CoreTemp & see the red circles.

VID is what Intel deems necessary for stable operation at default clocks. The lower the vid, usually the better the your chip will overclock.
This started out as a study to see how much of a difference there was between B3 & G0 steppings.

G0. 1.3250V. Guess I got unlucky..

Just because a chip has a high VID does not mean that it wont OC well. You may need more voltage to reach the same stable speed that others are doing with less, but keep in mind there are other factors which can easily mitigate the effects of this. Your chip, for example, may have very good thermal characteristics such that it maintains lower temps at a given high vCore . For example, suppose you need 1.55v to reach 3.6 but can equal the temps put out by a lower VID chip with a set vCore of 1.35. If this is the case, then there is really nothing to feel down about. VID and Batch are good indicators, but what it really comes down to are the individual qualities of the chip itself.

Mark.

G0. 1.3250V. Guess I got unlucky..

I've got a 1.3125 G0. I am able to get 3.6 with 1.525v. It does run a little hot at load, but am still stable. I am considering water as an option to get temps down.

OEM Q6600 recieved yesterday from the egg... just fired it up literally 10 minutes ago. :D

Not too thrilled about the high VID but hopefully the new Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme will help out my o/c possibilities. :)

noxs_q6600_vid.png

Blue Falcon: At least you got a revision G0, far as I know newegg does not Garuntee G0 Revisions..

Willseyvilleny: I had the same Problem with my Old Gigabyte P965 DS3 rev 3.3, then I bought a Abit IX38 Quad GT motherboard and I can now hit least 3.7 Ghz, I will try for 3.8 once my memory comes in.

That being said, start saving for a X48 mobo.

Just because a chip has a high VID does not mean that it wont OC well. You may need more voltage to reach the same stable speed that others are doing with less, but keep in mind there are other factors which can easily mitigate the effects of this. Your chip, for example, may have very good thermal characteristics such that it maintains lower temps at a given high vCore . For example, suppose you need 1.55v to reach 3.6 but can equal the temps put out by a lower VID chip with a set vCore of 1.35. If this is the case, then there is really nothing to feel down about. VID and Batch are good indicators, but what it really comes down to are the individual qualities of the chip itself.

Mark.

I suppose you're right. But my chip needs a lot of voltage (I believe) to make it stable. Right now I've settled on 3.2GHz @ 1.460V. (400x8)

Temperatures are..

Idle:
38-40
37-39
36-37
38-39

Load:
55-58
55-56
56-57
58-60

Note that it's only about 50 hours since I reapplied my thermal grease, so temperatures haven't become ideal yet.

Looking at other people's temperatures, I think it's decent. I just expected more with my Tuniq Tower 120. Considering lapping it, but I'd have to practice on a few of my old processors before my Q6600.

3GHz @ stock voltage, Q6600 G0:
coretempck1.png

... under load, the voltage goes to 1.270v. I have to give it a 0.05v bump for 3.1GHz or higher. :( My cheap silent CoolerMaster CPU cooler makes idle temperatures somewhat high. But I do like the quiet. :D

2 copies of Orthos running with affinity changed gets the junction temperatures up to ~59C-61C on all 4 cores.

G0 Q6600 VID 1.3250

i run it at 8x400 , 3.2g , core volt 1.31

doesn't like anything higher tried so many difference combinations, this chip wont do anything higher even giving it 1.6 volt in bios about 1.54 in windows.

G0 Q6600 VID 1.3250

i run it at 8x400 , 3.2g , core volt 1.31

doesn't like anything higher tried so many difference combinations, this chip wont do anything higher even giving it 1.6 volt in bios about 1.54 in windows.

Q6600 works best with P35/X38, whats your board?

In the event that someone would like to collect more possibly biased data:

G0, VID 1.2125

I'm at 3.6 GHZ (9*400) on water at
1.46875v bios
1.408 idle
1.344 load

REVISION: G0
VID: 1.2875v
FPO/BATCH #: L739A516

Not that I know what that means... all I know is I just went from a single core s939 3200+ to a Q6600 and I'm insanely happy.

Got a Q6600 G0 L737B from Mark w/ a VID of 1.325v.

One core has a significantly lower temp than the rest, but it always craps out during testing. :(

I've seen that Graysky has started this thread at nearly all the computer and OC enthusiast sites, and this is one of the few sites where people are still posting VID data.

For those who have yet to post, it would be most helpful to also include your Batch / FPO Code if you have it available. This can be found on the processor box, on the white label with the Intel hologram on the left side. The code is under the third bar-code, and begins with an L. The first three digits after the L, plus the succeeding letter (A or B for Q6600s -- I don't think I've seen others) represents the batch. The final three digits represent the product code, which most disregard when predicting OC potential. For those who have already posted, feel free to edit your post to include your batch number.

This code represents the batch from which your processor was cut, and is considered to be an equally important (if not more so) indicator of how well a chip will perform. Many people here, at XtremeSystems, and at other forums geared explicitly to high over clocking look at VID in determining how well a CPU will perform. However, a VID can not be determined without opening the processor box and installing the chip. On the other hand, you can look at batch numbers at a retail store, and (although this is frowned upon by some) return unopened CPUs for refund to online vendors if you believe you've gotten a processor from a bad batch. Besides, even if a chip has a high VID, if it's from a good batch it will still likely be a good over clocker. If we can get some data on which batches tend to have the lowest VIDs, this can perhaps be a more useful thread in helping people to score their "dream q6600." (Note that similar threads exist at other sites -- most notably at XtremeSystems, but I think it would be good to have a thread here.)

Some well known "stellar" batches are: 724A-728A, and more recently, 737B.

EDIT / UPDATE: One more thing, almost forgot. If you find that CoreTemp is reporting a VID under 1.2, check to make sure that you do not have SpeedStep enabled in your BIOS. In certain cases, this will cause CoreTemp to report an incorrect number -- as the number you are after is the default voltage at stock speed (2.4ghz.) I believe the latest version of CoreTemp .96 corrects this discrepancy.

I'm not convinced that VID indicates anything at all.

My G0 Q6600 with a VID of 1.30v is prime stable at 3.2GHZ with only 1.27v. ;)

Q6600 owner here - my vid is 1.2625 acording to coretemp. It's a G0 stepping. I've only had it a few days, currently running vcore at 1.32-1.35 to get 3 Ghz (9x333). The overclock didn't budge at all until I upped the vtt voltage to 16% on my P6N diamond.

g0 vid: 1.2125.
OC: 3.58ghz. Bios vcore 1.33. CPUZ vcore 1.296. Vdroop during prime 95 cpuz reading: 1.28.
OC. Temps: room: 70F, idle 33, load 65. Folding 55

Back