Q6600 OC - What should I be able to expect?

NightOps

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, this is simply my attempt to tap the local brains here @ [H]. There are countless threads on OCing the Q6600 SLACR, I'm just trying to get a feel for what I should expect once my hsf comes in. Here's the specs:

Retail Intel Q6600 SLACR (G0), VID 1.3250, Pack Date is 8/15/2008
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro with AS5 TIM
Asus P5W DH Deluxe (BIOS: 2801)
4GB (2x 2GB) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 800 (2.1V 4-4-4-15 kit: OCZ2RPR800C44GK)
Sapphire Radeon HD 4850
OCZ GamerXStream 600W PS
TT Matrix VX case (2x 120mm fans: 1 front, 1 back; 1 side fan by CPU)
Ambient room temp is 70 F, max is 73 F, low is 66 F

CPU/hsf are not lapped (at this point). I'll be using the 'line' TIM application method as instructed by AS on their AS5 site for Quad Core CPUs.

I'd like to hit 1:1 with my RAM without downing the multiplier (9x 400 = 3.6Ghz)...but I'm thinking that may be pushing it a bit. I'd like to avoid going over 1.45V on the CPU.

Thoughts? I really doubt I have the room for a 120mm on my CPU, so please don't start trying to sell me on other hsf's... I know there are plenty better...but I just don't have the room. Thanks!

Items in consideration:
I'm thinking about just strapping a 120mm fan to the bottom of my DVD drive and blowing it over the RAM/CPU. How about these?:
Silverstone FM121: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811999344
Scythe SY1225SL12SH 120mm "Slipstream": http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185060

I don't think I have to worry about noise...it will be well inside of the compy... so up to 40db shouldn't be bad, right?

Also, a 2x 5.25 bay fan like the Scythe Kama Bay wouldn't be bad...but 800rpm and only about 30cfm doesn't seem significant enough to keep solid flow over RAM/CPU... thoughts?

If you could get fan on there that actually would force air through the heatsink fins, I would say 3.4Ghz+

With the non-shrouded fan that comes with it, a lot of the air is just going to be deflected out around the fan and not go through the heatsink fins.

And as for lowering the multipler to keep 1:1... if you can get 3.6Ghz out of it.... then 8x450 would be a nice overclock for the RAM. In any case, I would lower the multiplier to 8 and up the bus speed no matter what you end up getting out of it.

I'm running a 468mhz bus speed on my system right now. A lot better throughput for the RAM then when at the measly 400Mhz.

20 views and 1 response...c'mon guys ;-) Help a bro' out :) Your time is deeply appreciated ;-)

On my 2nd note...I'm thinking about just strapping a 120mm fan to the bottom of my DVD drive and blowing it over the RAM/CPU. How about these?:
Silverstone FM121: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999344
Scythe SY1225SL12SH 120mm "Slipstream": http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185060

I don't think I have to worry about noise...it will be well inside of the compy... so up to 40db shouldn't be bad, right?

I'd like to see an AC F7P get a Q6600 to 3.6. Good luck with that. AND it's a newer Q6600 with a higher VID.

If you break 3.4 I'd be surprized.

I have a Q6600 with the same VID. I'm currently running at 3.4ghz, but it's taken me 1.4v to get there. To be honest, I haven't had time to do the rigorous fine tuning others have. Oh, and I'm using a TRUE.

I know I can do 1.5v safely, so I'd like to make the push for 3.6 sometime soon, and mayhaps some of that fine tuning may net me my ultimate goal of 3.8 :D

Yeah Hydro, I was a bit bummed about that. I figure 3.0 shouldn't be a prob. 3.2 with 8x400 I should be able to hit relatively well...but might be a bit warm. 8x450 I figure will probably be my better route rather than 9x400 since my RAM shouldn't have too much of a prob keeping cool.

So, should I do the 120mm under the drive, or the 2x 5.25 bay 120mm? Pretty much the same thing, but I'm thinking it'll be cheaper and I'll get better air flow with a free-hanging 120mm that has better cfm..??

I have nearly the same setup as you...Specifically the Q6600 (GO) and the Artic Freezer 7 pro.

I have a Thermaltake Xaser Case with the standard 80mm fan holes and a custom cut 120mm fan blow hole on top. I'd wager our airflow is pretty much the same on these two cases.

With my setup (IP35-E motherboard) I could hit 3.6GHZ stable in XP with the side case off, but never could in Vista. And it got HOT at 3.6Ghz.

I'm using Artic Ceramique paste.

The cooler is good - (in my opinion) only to about 3.2Ghz for heavy use (low 70*C temperatures under load). If you aren't loading your CPUs to max then you might get more -- but I doubt a 120mm fan will help you much next to your HSF. The stock AF7pro fan does pretty good and spins increasing RPM when attached to my motheboard header as it gets too hot anyway.

I never could get my Patriot RAM to overclock well and I don't like changing the multiplier because you loose the ability for the chip to throttle down and utilize less power and cool off (at least on my motherboard) at anything other than x9. I can leave the power stepping features on - but if I change the multiplier it only uses the lessor multiplier at idle (x8 at idle) , If I go full load it jumps to whatever x9 is anyway. I have to turn off the speed stepping functions to make it stay full time at x8 and then the whole case is hotter, and the machine uses signicantly more power.

My current stable settings are

x9 multiplier
350FSB (700mhz RAM speed - underclocking or overclocking the RAM doesn't make any much difference on performance on these systems - here's a link - http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/print/core2duo-memory-guide.html and another http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=4&artpage=1965&articID=472 )
CPU voltage 1.22 (I can use stock 1.2volts for 3.0Ghz but have to step up to 1.22 for 3.15Ghz or it won't resume from hibernation correctly - to get to 3.2Ghz stably I have to increase voltage several more tenths and it isn't worth it for the extra heat. At 1.22 it'll just touch 70*C everyonce in a while at full load (running prime95 on all four cores, or video encoding for long periods of time and that's about as hot as I want it to get)

CPU = 1.22
DDR2 = 2.0
CPU VTT = 1.2375
ICH = 1.5
MCH = Auto
CPU GTLREF = 67%

Here is my thread discussing the same thing.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1288060

and here's another thread I made on multiplier/RAM settings

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1280716&highlight=FSB

Thanks for the info Archaea. On my E6420 with the same setup I could hit 3.2Ghz easily (in XP) and stick at 52C full load, 34C idle. Of course, it had a VID of 1.250 I believe. So I should expect higher temps at stock volts (1.325 based on Core Temp)? @ 2.4Ghz I'm seeing 34C on idle and 61C full load all 4 cores using stock hsf and the TIM a bit mis-applied. However, it's running Prime95 stable for 36 hours now. I figure I'll drop at least 10C using the AF7Pro and correctly cleaned/re-applied AS5.

So...no-go on the add'l 120mm for the front? I figure I'll point the AF7Pro to the rear for quick exhaust.

yeah - I pointed mine to the rear - that helps. I just don't think that extra 120mm will help you much. If you've got one to try - might as well - but I think your case and that HSF should have enough airflow. The guys that reliably get 3.6Ghz on the Q6600 - TYPICALLY have those huge 2 foot tall heatsinks with the 120mm fans :)

I think you'll be surprised at how much hotter a quad core runs than a dual core. You'll have to see. But I'd compare quad core heat to the old P4 Prescott type levels of heat generation. Remember how much everybody talked about how hot those chips were? I think the P4 Prescotts were somewhere about the same watt draw as the Q6600 - which is 95 watts.

Id say with the arctic freezer and a 1.325 vid quad, youll be looking at a clockspeed of 3.3ghz or so, my own q6600 done 3.4ghz prime stable @1.3750 vcore under an arctic freezer, but the temps were getting to over 77'c. Had to invest in a TRUE before i was able to move onto 3.6ghz, then 3.8ghz. Also nightops id suggest that when you get the freezer, use it with the paste that comes supplied on it, this is arctics mx2 which is a bit better than as5 and doesnt need any curing time.

You guys running 3.8ghz ... how about sharing your bios voltage settings so we can get a sense of the avg needed per chip (vcore, vtt, fsb term, nb, etc. or whatever your mobo reports). I'm still trying to figure out all the options on my new maximus II formula. I've got a 1.275VID Q6700 G0 and I've been trying for 3.8 on water while keeping the vcore at 1.5 or below..it runs at 3.6 @ 1.48 but honestly I haven't done much fine tuning.

You guys running 3.8ghz ... how about sharing your bios voltage settings so we can get a sense of the avg needed per chip (vcore, vtt, fsb term, nb, etc. or whatever your mobo reports). I'm still trying to figure out all the options on my new maximus II formula. I've got a 1.275VID Q6700 G0 and I've been trying for 3.8 on water while keeping the vcore at 1.5 or below..it runs at 3.6 @ 1.48 but honestly I haven't done much fine tuning.
Mine is a a 1.2750 vid q6600, batch no, L803A746. For 3.8ghz i required the following settings.

9x422
vcore bios, 1.50625, idle 1.496, load 1.512 llc enabled
cpu pll, 1.6
fsb term (vtt), 1.34
nb, 1.3
vdimm, 2.02, 5-5-5-18, 844mhz

My vcore was set slightly over 1.5 which should be fine as my cooling is pretty good, had to relax my ram timings from 4-4-4-15, but im gonna have a go at tightening them down again

I would like to know the same thing as prasvt. I have my Q6600 at 3114.4mhz with 1.2v under load(vdroop) using a P35 Pro. I haven't tried going any higher since I don't know how much voltage I should use on the nb, vtt etc. Help would be appreciated thanks.

thanks setter:

This is what I'm running for 3.6 right now:

9x400
Vcore bios 1.480 with LLC enabled, so under load it's about 1.5
CPU PLL 1.6
FSB TERM is auto right now
NB 1.45 (kind of arbitrary)
VDIMM 2.02, 5-5-5-15, 1066MHz

My chip is a L727A716 G0

At some point I had 3.7ghz perfectly stable but after a bios flash I couldn't remember what I'd done to get there..so had to go back to 3.6. Anyway now I have a much bigger case (cosmos s) with push pull on my 3x120 radiator and better airflow ..+ the maximus ii formula board seems to have alot of potential...just need to find those magic numbers :) thanks..I'll give it a shot w/ your settings as a baseline.

Any other suggestions are appreciated as well + this may help the OP as well.

lebullet, do you mean iP35 Pro? That was the board I just replaced ... I'll say due to the vdrop / vdroop, in the bios you'll have to up the Vcore value past 1.550 to get an actual 1.5V IDLE. Then under load you get about 1.47V (this was 360 x 10 with about 1.44V on the NB).

OP --- make sure you realize some of these guys are talking water cooling!!!

Oh yeah..true. I think if you're trying to get to 3.5+, you should be using a TRUE or Xigmatek cooler - for reference, the most I could run my Q6700 on air was about 3.5ghz with a Tuniq Tower 120 with the iP35 Pro, but temps would push well into the 60s. I had an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro in my X2 4600+ system 2 years ago and it worked well enough.

So looking at your post a little closer, I'd say you will be more heat restricted than speed restricted - these 65nm quads ramp up in temps very quickly on air, which is why I decided to venture into water cooling territory. But you'll just have to try and see at what point the temperatures get too high under load...my guess would be 3.4-3.5ghz max. But you have to try :)

I would say that even at 3.4Ghz, you will need TRUE, or Xigmatek cooler or something similar to handle the heat. Also will need case with good ventilation. I use OCZ Vendetta2, Abit IP35E, inside Antec 900. At 3.4, it was too warm, and too much voltage for me. I forget the exact details since only tried it once. I am currently happy with 3.0Ghz, enough speed for what I need to do.

Good luck with your OC....

Oh yeah..true. I think if you're trying to get to 3.5+, you should be using a TRUE or Xigmatek cooler - for reference, the most I could run my Q6700 on air was about 3.5ghz with a Tuniq Tower 120 with the iP35 Pro, but temps would push well into the 60s. I had an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro in my X2 4600+ system 2 years ago and it worked well enough.

So looking at your post a little closer, I'd say you will be more heat restricted than speed restricted - these 65nm quads ramp up in temps very quickly on air, which is why I decided to venture into water cooling territory. But you'll just have to try and see at what point the temperatures get too high under load...my guess would be 3.4-3.5ghz max. But you have to try :)

Thanks for all the replies guys. I went ahead and picked ip 2 slipstream 1900s that push 101cfm each... We'll see where that gets me once I get the hsf. If it's still no-go after that
I'll pick up a TRUE. Anyone else?

Not sure why everyone is so goo-goo about the TRUE... I've been using the same cooler that I had whwn I was running my Athlon 64 3700+.

I do have the fan from a Big Typhoon VX on it.. but that and the mounting system is the ONLY difference between the regular and the VX.

I am betting I could get at least 3.8Ghz with a better fan that has a decent positive pressure.

My current setup doesn't go past 62c on any of the cores when fully loaded with Prime 95.

For the record, you can have a fan that claims to move a ton of air, but when you stick it on a heatsink it can't hardly push any air through because it has very little positive pressure.

No reason at all to use the Delta fans... last time I used a heatsink with Deltas was back in the Slot-A Athlon Days.... crazy thing sounded like a jet.

Alright I am using the Vendetta2 which is pretty much an exact copy of the xigmatek. I've gotten 3.6 q6600 to boot up with 1.37v to boot up but it crashes, hopefully 1.4v will make it stable and keep the temps low enough for my vendetta2 to handle. Just ordered the retention bracket and some new fans because the installation of the vendetta2 takes forever. What do you guys think is the best way to configure the Vendetta and the fans in an Antec 900. Thanks everyone for the help.

Alright I am using the Vendetta2 which is pretty much an exact copy of the xigmatek. I've gotten 3.6 q6600 to boot up with 1.37v to boot up but it crashes, hopefully 1.4v will make it stable and keep the temps low enough for my vendetta2 to handle. Just ordered the retention bracket and some new fans because the installation of the vendetta2 takes forever. What do you guys think is the best way to configure the Vendetta and the fans in an Antec 900. Thanks everyone for the help.

I have the Xigmatek 1284 with the crossbow mounting kit and it does well on the Q6600. I am at 1.4vcore in the bios and 1.384vcore in Windows (idle and fully loaded), but I did the pencil mod on my motherboard. It is completely stable at 3.6ghz around 58c.

36ghzstable.jpg

DSCN1049-01.jpg

p5e-vmHDMIvreg.jpg

I have the Xigmatek 1284 with the crossbow mounting kit and it does well on the Q6600. I am at 1.4vcore in the bios and 1.384vcore in Windows (idle and fully loaded), but I did the pencil mod on my motherboard. It is completely stable at 3.6ghz around 58c.

p5e-vmHDMIvreg.jpg

Please explain this pencil mod or point me in some direction?

Does the pencil mod also apply to the P5W DH Deluxe? Volt mods would affect the volts to the CPU...but wouldn't this normally increase the heat produced by the CPU? Unless this mod offers volt stabilization, I'm not sure of the purpose.

I think vdrop or vdroop is part of the Intel spec so this just kind of negates it. I never did it for my iP35 Pro, but the braver people with the right revision did it. I think the end effect is similar to the Asus load line calibration bios option. From my experience, without the mod you had to really jack up the bios value for Vcore with the expectation that you were going to lose something on the order of 0.9V under load (from bios setting). So 1.565 bios = 1.51 Windows = 1.47 under load. So 1.51 was probably more than necessary, in my case, for 3.6ghz to be stable..but under load the cpu needed at least 1.47V to not crash / bsod the computer.

Hey, we got the same setup (Q6600, Vendcetta 2 in Antec 900). Mine is pointing up, so the fan is pushing air thru the cooler, and blowing air toward the 200mm exhaust fan at the top of the case.

What temps are you getting sequoia? I have it 3 fans in the front so what I did was just pull the air all the way through. So the fan is pulling the air horizontally to the back. Also how did you apply the TIM? Just for reference I am in 25.1C ambient temperature and Core Temp is reporting 35, 27, 30, 35. I don't think I applied the TIM correctly because there should be one core so low compared to the rest. I just applied AS5 an hour ago so it still hasn't cured.

What temps are you getting sequoia? I have it 3 fans in the front so what I did was just pull the air all the way through. So the fan is pulling the air horizontally to the back. Also how did you apply the TIM? Just for reference I am in 25.1C ambient temperature and Core Temp is reporting 35, 27, 30, 35. I don't think I applied the TIM correctly because there should be one core so low compared to the rest. I just applied AS5 an hour ago so it still hasn't cured.

I wouldn't worry about those temps. My Q does the same thing. Cores 1 & 2 are always lower than cores 0 & 3 by an average of 5-7c. If you play with your vcore, adjusting it slightly, you might notice your coolest cores changing places. It's the strangest thing.

Yea that is weird but I want to see what kind of overclock I can get. Right now i am at 3.1ghz at stock voltage I actually haven't tried going higher on stock voltage because my ram would not go above 830mhz or so without changing volts and NB stuff. Maybe tomorrow I will see if I can get 3.6 out of it. :-D btw anyone want to give me some more advice so I can achieve my goal of 3.6?

If you could get fan on there that actually would force air through the heatsink fins, I would say 3.4Ghz+

And as for lowering the multipler to keep 1:1... if you can get 3.6Ghz out of it.... then 8x450 would be a nice overclock for the RAM. In any case, I would lower the multiplier to 8 and up the bus speed no matter what you end up getting out of it.

I'm running a 468mhz bus speed on my system right now. A lot better throughput for the RAM then when at the measly 400Mhz.

OK, now I am getting confused, and I have been overclocking for a long time. Maybe your MB works differently than the 680i/780i Nvidia? But on my MB, with my Q6600 the CPU speed stock is 266 so if I run locked with ratio 1:1, since the FSB is quad pumped, my RAM runs at 1066, its default speed. When I overclock to 3Ghz (333 x 9) I used the 5:4 divider, so my ram comes out to 1066Mhz still, 1:1 would run it at 1333Mhz. If you guys are running DDR2-800 and you are saying you could run the CPU at 450Mhz, with a 1:1 ratio wouldn't that be running the RAM at 1800Mhz? 2:1 would run at 900Mhz, which would be a very good OC for DDR2-800, saying that it shouldnt run hot is laughable as these DIMMs seem to die off all the time just from stock speeds, and cooling is imparitive. What gives?

OK, now I am getting confused, and I have been overclocking for a long time. Maybe your MB works differently than the 680i/780i Nvidia? But on my MB, with my Q6600 the CPU speed stock is 266 so if I run locked with ratio 1:1, since the FSB is quad pumped, my RAM runs at 1066, its default speed. When I overclock to 3Ghz (333 x 9) I used the 5:4 divider, so my ram comes out to 1066Mhz still, 1:1 would run it at 1333Mhz. If you guys are running DDR2-800 and you are saying you could run the CPU at 450Mhz, with a 1:1 ratio wouldn't that be running the RAM at 1800Mhz? 2:1 would run at 900Mhz, which would be a very good OC for DDR2-800, saying that it shouldnt run hot is laughable as these DIMMs seem to die off all the time just from stock speeds, and cooling is imparitive. What gives?

The FSB is quad-pumped. DDR2 is double-pumped. My Q6600 runs at 3.4ghz, 425x8. Thus, my RAM runs at 850mhz.

By the way, I tried to OC beyond 3Ghz on my chip. I have the B3 stepping of an ES (engineering sample) and it gets really hungry for power much higher than this. I could not do 3.2Ghz on my old 680i with 600W PSU and 4 x 1Gb sticks, now I have 780i, 800W PSU, and 2 x 2Gb sticks and one of those three things made it a little more stable. I have played around with a 3.2 and 3.4 OC, the 3.2 is almost do-able, not that much more voltage and not that much more heat, but the 3.4 is still pretty unstable when I run Orthos on 4 cores or game, which shouldn't stress the CPU as much but seems to reveal instability more and is more prone to crashing.

About the temps, these chips are notorius for needing a temp sensor adjustmet, some fan programs allow calibration but I have found that if your CPU thinks it is close to its melting point, it will slow down irregardless of wether or not you have the thermal control enabled in the bios. Personally, I dont want to go over 60c on any core when running 4 cores all at 100%. Right now I hit 59c and my RAM runs at its full speed of 1066, so it is a pretty good spot. I like Realtemp as it seems to calibrate better than any other temp monitor program.

I think if I ever want to see 3.6Ghz or 4Ghz, I will buy the Q9650, so I can run fast, low power, and stable.

One thing I dont like is the way the other components on my MB goe I have to have my heatsink facing up, and if you look at the exposed heatpipes, they do not cross the 2 dies that way, they run parrellel so one on each side of each die, and the one in the middle must only scavange heat from the thermal cap. Still does a good job though I guess.

Hmmm.... I can definitely tell you that 4x of ANY size RAM sticks will tend to de-stabilize an OC. I had 2x 1GB G.Skill HZ and a E6420 @ 3.2Ghz rock-solid (Prime95 48 hours with Intel TAT running 100% on both as well) and didn't peak 58C. When I switched to 4x 1GB sticks of G.Skill HZ (all same specs), I couldn't top 3Ghz.

Well, we'll find out Tuesday. I have 2 Scythe Slipstream 1900rpm fans (101CFM @ 37dba) coming in, as well as my AF7Pro, and I've completely re-routed my airflow to maximize cooling to NB/RAM/CPU. I'll replace the stock rear 120mm fan in my Matrix VX (63CFM with 1 Slipstream, and I'll put the other Slipstream under the rear of my DVD Drive to point directly at my RAM/CPU and suck in from the front. Depending on temps/airflow, I might stick the old rear TT fan down a bit and point it out. That would give me 2 120mm intakes @ 101/63CFM, and 2 exhast at the same specs...with the 101 on the CPU exhaust...which should also help the draw off the NB...which the AF7Pro blows across as well.

Thoughts?

The FSB is quad-pumped. DDR2 is double-pumped. My Q6600 runs at 3.4ghz, 425x8. Thus, my RAM runs at 850mhz.

My Bios is strange, in order to up the CPU clock, I have to type in the FSB speed, and it takes 1/4 of that for the CPU clock, I can not type it in directly. When I type in 1333 so that with x9 it comes out to 333 x 9 for 3Ghz, if I select linked and 1:1, under "Actual Memory Speed" just below the FSB it says 1300MHz also. when I select 5:4 then it says 1066 which is my RAM. All this time I though I was reducing the RAM speed with the divider because of this!
I changed to 8x 400 anyways and with the 3:2 it comes out to 1066Mhz for the RAM, but I dont know why 1:1 displays the FSB this way?

Thanks

Hmmm.... I can definitely tell you that 4x of ANY size RAM sticks will tend to de-stabilize an OC. I had 2x 1GB G.Skill HZ and a E6420 @ 3.2Ghz rock-solid (Prime95 48 hours with Intel TAT running 100% on both as well) and didn't peak 58C. When I switched to 4x 1GB sticks of G.Skill HZ (all same specs), I couldn't top 3Ghz.

Well, we'll find out Tuesday. I have 2 Scythe Slipstream 1900rpm fans (101CFM @ 37dba) coming in, as well as my AF7Pro, and I've completely re-routed my airflow to maximize cooling to NB/RAM/CPU. I'll replace the stock rear 120mm fan in my Matrix VX (63CFM with 1 Slipstream, and I'll put the other Slipstream under the rear of my DVD Drive to point directly at my RAM/CPU and suck in from the front. Depending on temps/airflow, I might stick the old rear TT fan down a bit and point it out. That would give me 2 120mm intakes @ 101/63CFM, and 2 exhast at the same specs...with the 101 on the CPU exhaust...which should also help the draw off the NB...which the AF7Pro blows across as well.

Thoughts?

If your cooler uses the plastic pins to go through the MB you could always buy the 775 retention bracket. Xigmatek makes one, I bought the thermalright one and use it on my xigmatek cooler. The screws have springs that press the cooler legs down against the MB which is then reinforced with the x shaped back bracket. I have seen reviews that say this helps CPU temps a little due to the increase in pressure between the contact surfaces. Might be worth the $10.

Back