Q6600 meets Thermalright Extreme PICS!!

Ok, now temps are under control, i have 57c max with all four cores going on prime95 but i cannot get over 3 ghz. this is wierd. Cannot be my memory since I have hit 3.2 ghz with a core two. Realy odd. I must admit i did 3.2 and even higher on my previous board. This is the first time i have tried to excede 3 ghz on this A! , I just assumed it would be better based on the hype.

There may be a p35 in my future. I cannot take this suckage Or could it be that i am running 2 gig sticks nowadays. If i go unlinked and leave the memory at 800, would that resolve it? Just thinking out loud...................

Ack, I wish this thread was started a week ago. I think I'm not going to bother opening my 680i. I know for a fact that I'm keeping my case, because I like it a lot more than any of my components. And hey, it's not Lian-Li's fault that the CPU is placed so far on the edge here. Guess I'll just have to get a Geforce 9 card when they come out, cuz there ain't gonna be any SLI on the P35 boards, and I need a desktop before X38. Grrrr. :mad:

This is what i got after a few hours of testing.

I have 1066 Corsair ram (1GB sticks x 2)
I lowered the ram to 800mhz and lower the timings to 5-5-5-15. Just to be able to get everything right with the cpu. I am going to start messing with the ram now.

Check it out with a thermalright ultra extreme:
3ghz1.187v.jpg

Anyone else with a Q6600 getting such different temps from core to core?
As you can see above, core 0 and 1 are at 57 deg and core 3 is at 51 deg.
Should they be closer to each other?

Yes, for me core 0 & 1 run about 3-4c higher than 2 & 3, Q6600 B3. Last night I remounted my TRUE same result. I've rationalized it two ways, 1) two separate dual-core packages and one package is runs cooler than the other, 2) OS loads one package more than the other. The first makes sense to me, variance in packages and cores.

Core one for me is 5 -6 c hotter, core 2 4c and 3 and 4 are close to identicle.

I cannot get my 2 gig sticks over 975 without a blue screen and my board blue screens over 1350 on the fsb. I guess I am going to have to play with voltages where I have no clue. Well I guess its time to learn. I am spoiled with passed overclocks being simple.

Honestly? No, its a royal pain in the ass. You see I was a finish lapper back in my younger days. We would lap to tolerences that you would not even believe using specialized equipment and diamond slurry. The components were aerospace in nature and were made of ceramic composites and carbide. I found myself missing the tools that I had.

Lapping this thing made me feel like a cave man trying to start a fire. :p

No thanks. LOL

AHahha! I will say that doing the chip is about an order of magnitude easier than doing the HS. I would highly recommend that you do it.

AHahha! I will say that doing the chip is about an order of magnitude easier than doing the HS. I would highly recommend that you do it.

You know you must be correct. That Ultra is so big and bulky i longed for a motorized lapping service like I used in the factory some 25 years ago. The Cpu should be a piece of cake. Next time i have the rig appart i just migth take the plunge

I took a look at the case, its essentialy my case with a door. There will still be the same problem , at least with a 680I board.

I have the same case and because of the way you have to orient that cooler, I went with the Ultra Chill TEC it's expensive but works just fine and it keeps my Q6600 very cool even with a temperature of 86F in my room the processor stays very cool here is a link to a pic of my temps, I do not have pics of my rig yet but I may post some later http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=q6600tempsxg0.jpg.

:cool::D

An Antec 900 maybe the right case as it has the 200mm fan on top sucking the air out.

An Antec 900 maybe the right case as it has the 200mm fan on top sucking the air out.

Well i am quite happy with my Tj09 and I have two 120's on top blowing in. I tried both ways and to my surprise things are cooler with air blowing in. I have my lian li up for sale in the FS forum
silverstone.jpg

Noob question....

jacuzz1 - You say you took off the plastic retainer of the Thermalright Extreme, underneath. Do you mean the adhesive cover and or the big plastic thighy? As I left this on!?! shite, means I got to take everything out of the case!!
Let me know please.:confused:
Thanks

Have an almost identical setup to you, Lian Li 2000, DFI P35 and the Ultra Extreme 120.

Only difference is my Q6600 is a B3. All 4 cores are within 2-3c of each other.

Well the paste that comes with the 120 must need time to cure. My temps have improved a bit.

38c, 39c, 44c and 45 c at idle repectively @ 3 Ghz, nah I am just brain dead........I added the top fans blowing in lol

Noob question....

jacuzz1 - You say you took off the plastic retainer of the Thermalright Extreme, underneath. Do you mean the adhesive cover and or the big plastic thighy? As I left this on!?! shite, means I got to take everything out of the case!!
Let me know please.:confused:
Thanks

I left this on too (edit) I do mean the plastic retainer, I thought it may be a short protection?'

From Thermalright's site (Ultra-120 Extreme FAQ):

Question 7: I have an Ultra-120 eXtreme and I noticed that the backplate has a protective sheet (white). Should I peel it off or keep it on?

Answer: For both Ultra-120 and Ultra-120 eXtreme, keep the white protective sheet on if you plan on removing the heatsink in the future. End users who have taken off the protective sheet have reported difficulties in removing the adhesive residue when they uninstalled their heatsinks.

another update:

http://www.thermalright.com/a_news/main_news_ultra120-extreme.htm

In addition, we took care of the concerns expressed by our users in regards to Ultra-120 backplate. For the eXtreme version, we added a non-conductive plastic padding to shield all electrical contact in preventing a short circuitry.

Well, I have had zero issues and it seemed logical to expose the adhesive so that it would affix to the board. The back plate has a relief in it so the only thing touching the board is the adhesive strips. I guess the long and the short of it is, it works either way, at least as it relates to the 680i

I do find it funny that they would post that on thier site but not mention it in any of the instructions lol

Back