Q6600 meets Thermalright Extreme PICS!!

jacuzz1

Supreme [H]ardness
Well many of you have requested configuration pics of a Thermalright install and so I thought I would oblige.
I recieved my cooler yesterday and when I got home from work I started in on what I thougth would be a fairly easy endeavor.
Not!! If you have a Lian Li PCv2000 and a 680i you are going to be interested what I encountered.

First the beast(this thing is huge and much larger than I originally anticipated )
big1.jpg

Here are the components needed to install her on the Intel chip ( the kit comes with AMD compatible hardware as well)
You will note the scissors action of the mounting brace. This facilitates threading the bracket through the heatpipes and
then expands to line up with your mounting holes on the motherboard.

components.jpg

The back plate has an adhesive under the plastic that is removed just prior to installation. Installation of the backplate
is as easy as removing the protective plastic and lining her up with the mounting holes on the motherboard

backplate.jpg

The contact surface of the cooler could be improved via lapping but I do not have the time or the patience , at least for now

machinefinish.jpg

Now for the mounting side. Note the spring loaded screws. Final mount is as simple as alternately tightening
these four screws until contact is made between the screw flange bulkhead and the the top of the holes protruding through the motherboard.
This was not my final mounting since I ran into a clearence issue with my case. More on that later.

initialmounting.jpg

I have read a few posts that people were confused about fan mounting so here are some shots of the retention springs:
Make sure you do not toss out the antivibration strips, you will need them to place under the fan and they look like scrap
antivibrationsstirps.jpg

fanmount.jpg

fanmounthole.jpg

pinplacement.jpg

So now I have the babymounted on my mobo
big.jpg

Unfortunately I had to rethink the orientation of the cooler. Idealy I would have wanted it pointed to the rear where my high output case fan
would pull the heated air out after my 63cfm Flex fan( very quet fan by the way) pushed cool air accross the fins.
The problem I encountered was that there was not enougth clearence between the fan , clips and the case bulkhead seprating the motherboard
area from the power supply area. I had no choice but to mount the fan parellel to the bulk head.Not ideal but it works.

nofinroomforconventional.jpg

Note the exhaust fan perpendicular to the cooler. I was concerned about this config but it was the only way to fit her in my case
topview.jpg

topview2.jpg

At first, I thought this config would roast my video card but my side panel fan is directly over the card and the exhuast fan pulls most of the heat out since its high output.
Thermalfinalconfig.jpg

Well she is all in and now its time for burn in and to start the oc. I will post more pics later of base line temps and my first oc to 3ghz (I am currently at 3ghz for burn in) .
I have to go to work but i will update tonight. For now its prime95 all day to gain a baseline stable oc I need to fire it up before i leave for work .
3ghz.jpg

Prime95.jpg

Hmmm those temps look kind of high for a G0 stepping even OCed to 3.0Ghz, ESPECIALLY since you have an Ultra-120 extreme even if it isn't lapped. What VCore ya got stock? My guess is that orientation of the cooler you have now is causing hot air to get stuck in the case. It's not like you can really have a choice though since your case is limiting you. Well let's just see how CPU scales in this condition. Hopefully it will scale a little better from here.

Vcore is set to 1.3525

app indicates 1.26
It has to be the placement of the cooler. Two of the cores are running 7c hotter as well. I may remove her and reapply the paste to see if i get an improvement but its most likely what you said.

I am currently shoppping a new case since I am not happy with the current config

Vcore is set to 1.3525

app indicates 1.26
It has to be the placement of the cooler. Two of the cores are running 7c hotter as well. I may remove her and reapply the paste to see if i get an improvement but its most likely what you said.

I am currently shoppping a new case since I am not happy with the current config

yeah I figured the mounting position would be the cause of it.

If you looking for a new case then check your PM. It might interest you.

yeah I figured the mounting position would be the cause of it.

If you looking for a new case then check your PM. It might interest you.

cool thanks. I will definately have to lap it as well. I was a finish machinest years ago and we used diamond slurry and cast iron motorized wheels to precision lap. I dont have either now and i guess guys use sand paper. Any link to the process would be appreciated.

cool thanks. I will definately have to lap it as well. I was a finish machinest years ago and we used diamond slurry and cast iron motorized wheels to precision lap. I dont have either now and i guess guys use sand paper. Any link to the process would be appreciated.

A lapping kit

A link to a PDF of lapping instructions is at the bottom of the page. I'm gonna get me one too :D .

I took a look at the case, its essentialy my case with a door. There will still be the same problem , at least with a 680I board.

I took a look at the case, its essentialy my case with a door. There will still be the same problem , at least with a 680I board.

Oh ok. Well I know CM Stacker 830 cases do well with that setup. You should look into it. I have one of those up for sale. Link: Here
If ya want pics let me know.

Damn that thing is huge, I'd never seen one in pictures.

Was there anything special you had to do with the mounting bracket to avoid the capacitors on the back of the 680i?

Vcore is set to 1.3525

app indicates 1.26

Yeah, best to get a new case. Totally waste of a nice heatsink with that position. How about try putting the fan underneath it? Heat rises so I don't know if its a good idea to push the hot air to the bottom because it's going to rise right up into the heatsink. Should blow the air upward.

edit: is that picture upside down? If it is, forget of what I said above.

edit again: ok, I google the case and it's a nice looking case but totally suck ass for air circulating. Don't these guys who design this case know that hot air rises? A big fatass case and only 1 fan to suck out air in the back and the fan is in the middle? Guessed your hot air will be stuck at the top. This will surely give me a good example what not to look for when buying a case. Now I know that you'll need some headroom above your cpu area. I did a measurement of my NZXT Lexa case and it fit. Barely.

Wow, great pics. You've got me a bit (actually, a lot) concerned about the clearance when running this cooler in my own case (waiting on other components), a PC-V1200.

If the CPU on the eVGA 680i is perfectly positioned in the center of where Lian-Li placed the CPU air duct on the case, it will fit (barely). I suspect our cases are exactly the same in the mobo area, though, unfortunately.

So, here's a long shot -- what if you mounted the fan in the proper orientation (blowing toward the rear fan), but attached to the case's metal separating the mobo from the PSU? Then it would be blowing in the proper direction, it would just not be directly attached to the heat sink. I think with the case fan pulling and that pushing, it wouldn't have to be directly against it because it would have a nice channel of air flowing through there. I'm sure it would be better than blowing it upwards, in any case, even though it's blowing across the horizontal (long) side.

I get the mobo today, and I can check it, but I'm very concerned :(

11-112-066-07.jpg

11-112-062-02.jpg

edit again: ok, I google the case and it's a nice looking case but totally suck ass for air circulating. Don't these guys who design this case know that hot air rises? A big fatass case and only 1 fan to suck out air in the back and the fan is in the middle? Guessed your hot air will be stuck at the top. This will surely give me a good example what not to look for when buying a case. Now I know that you'll need some headroom above your cpu area. I did a measurement of my NZXT Lexa case and it fit. Barely.

It's actually pretty good, in general, I got great temps with that case on another build. The rear fan is basically dedicated to exhausting heat from the CPU. With a stock HSF, you would use their air duct to channel it directly towards that rear fan.

The side fan is essentially equivalent to a rear fan, but is positioned to assist in cooling video cards.

There's also a front fan blowing across the hard drives.

If you wanted to get more airflow across the CPU, you could mount an extra 120mm fan in the spare 5.25" slots up front, but that was totally unnecessary when I used this case previously.

Was there anything special you had to do with the mounting bracket to avoid the capacitors on the back of the 680i?[/QUOTE

No, You need to exercise some dexterity but thats all

Yeah, best to get a new case. Totally waste of a nice heatsink with that position. How about try putting the fan underneath it? Heat rises so I don't know if its a good idea to push the hot air to the bottom because it's going to rise right up into the heatsink. Should blow the air upward.

edit: is that picture upside down? If it is, forget of what I said above.

Fan will not fit underneath and i have it set to pull the air up its blowing up toward the card and the rear exhuast is yanking it out the back

Wow, great pics. You've got me a bit (actually, a lot) concerned about the clearance when running this cooler in my own case (waiting on other components), a PC-V1200.

If the CPU on the eVGA 680i is perfectly positioned in the center of where Lian-Li placed the CPU air duct on the case, it will fit (barely). I suspect our cases are exactly the same in the mobo area, though, unfortunately.

So, here's a long shot -- what if you mounted the fan in the proper orientation (blowing toward the rear fan), but attached to the case's metal separating the mobo from the PSU? Then it would be blowing in the proper direction, it would just not be directly attached to the heat sink. I think with the case fan pulling and that pushing, it wouldn't have to be directly against it because it would have a nice channel of air flowing through there. I'm sure it would be better than blowing it upwards, in any case, even though it's blowing across the horizontal (long) side.

Dude, short of cutting out the aluminum and thus comprimising the cases rigidity it wont fit in mine or yours. you need about 7/16 mor room for the fan clips. It would work if you use a ruber band instead I supose

[

I was looking at the thread opening post, and see that there is a big difference between the temperatures that speedfan and coretemp display.
Which program is more accurate?

Also, I have a Q6600 as well, my individual core temps differ by around 4 degress.The biggest difference i saw was between core 2 and 3 being 7-8 degrees at times. Should the individual core temps be closer to each other?

Core temp, the speed fan you add about 15c for the right temp

I have never seen more than four except mine. I am assuming i need to reapply the grease and will once I lap the heatsink. If that does not work , its Stacker for me

Dude, short of cutting out the aluminum and thus comprimising the cases rigidity it wont fit in mine or yours. you need about 7/16 mor room for the fan clips. It would work if you use a ruber band instead I supose

Wait, so it's just the clips that don't fit? If it couldn't be bent, I'm sure it could be zip-tied or something. Not like that's ghetto or anything :p

Wait, so it's just the clips that don't fit? If it couldn't be bent, I'm sure it could be zip-tied or something. Not like that's ghetto or anything :p

Well if the clips are dropped and i use a ruberband it just might fit, its that close
The case would be touching the heatsink I believe. It was late last night and i was determioned to fire it up. I will revisit it tonight but i really dont want to getto it. I wonder if the P35 Ausus boards have the better cpu location

Yup, my motherboard cpu positioning is higher up from the edge just like his.

Wow looks like it might be a p35 for me. That would be the easiest solution. Now if we could find someone with a p35 and a 2000 like be to confirm ,lol

Well if the clips are dropped and i use a ruberband it just might fit, its that close
The case would be touching the heatsink I believe. It was late last night and i was determioned to fire it up. I will revisit it tonight but i really dont want to getto it. I wonder if the P35 Ausus boards have the better cpu location

Looking at the clip mechanism, I don't think there would be any ghettoness factor in just bending the clip around the top. It's not going to lose so much strength that it can't hold the fan on. It would be easier to experiment if they threw in a couple of extra clips, eh? :)

Damn that thing is huge, But I think your temps are great for 3.0 Ghz. Enjoy your system :)

Wow looks like it might be a p35 for me. That would be the easiest solution. Now if we could find someone with a p35 and a 2000 like be to confirm ,lol

It would almost certainly work, if you just need enough extra clearance for the clips. However, when Crysis comes out and you wanna add another GTX to pump pixels to your 30" monitor, you might regret it :)

That was one of the main reasons I bought the 680i board instead of the P35 (I've got the same monitor), even though initially I'll be running an 8600GT (ehhh, no gaming for me). With a 30" monitor, we're going to be GPU (or GPUs) bound for quite some time.

Core temp, the speed fan you add about 15c for the right temp

I have never seen more than four except mine. I am assuming i need to reapply the grease and will once I lap the heatsink. If that does not work , its Stacker for me

Let me know how that goes for you. I have a Q6600 with a Thermalright Ultra Extreme and I am seeing similar temps to you. I think I also need to reapply the thermal paste.

I am finding these results so hard to belive : http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1212009 But maybe thats one of those "blessed" chips.

Let me know how that goes for you. I have a Q6600 with a Thermalright Ultra Extreme and I am seeing similar temps to you. I think I also need to reapply the thermal paste.

I am finding these results so hard to belive : http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1212009 But maybe thats one of those "blessed" chips.

Yes first step is i am going to redo the paste, then once the lapping kit arrives i will lap it. If there is no improvement its decision time again. I really want to keep the sli option for sure.

Nice pics, I had one of those big bastards arrive today. I'll be testing it soon on my X3220. Either today or tomorrow.

[So, here's a long shot -- what if you mounted the fan in the proper orientation (blowing toward the rear fan), but attached to the case's metal separating the mobo from the PSU? Then it would be blowing in the proper direction, it would just not be directly attached to the heat sink. I think with the case fan pulling and that pushing, it wouldn't have to be directly against it because it would have a nice channel of air flowing through there. I'm sure it would be better than blowing it upwards, in any case, even though it's blowing across the horizontal (long) side.

I am sorry i missed this paragraph. My comprehension is limited due to lack of sleep last night. Got home late and played late. That is and would be simple solution. LOL I just might give that a shot. The fan would be offset a bit but with the pulling action of the exhaust fan , should be an improvement.

Again i am sorry i did not notice your suggestion and will certain use it when i remove the heatsink for reapplication of the thermal compound

Nice pics, I had one of those big bastards arrive today. I'll be testing it soon on my X3220. Either today or tomorrow.

Thanks , more pics later if I get time. (My kids eat up time and i dont get to the hardware till late night) School time will be welcome, then the hit the sack early :)

Nice photos... what camera/lens did you use? Also, I would expect much lower temps w/ a g0; your current temps are on par w/ my B3 @ 9x333 and 1.2625V temps. You might wanna consider lapping the HS and your Q6600.

[So, here's a long shot -- what if you mounted the fan in the proper orientation (blowing toward the rear fan), but attached to the case's metal separating the mobo from the PSU? Then it would be blowing in the proper direction, it would just not be directly attached to the heat sink. I think with the case fan pulling and that pushing, it wouldn't have to be directly against it because it would have a nice channel of air flowing through there. I'm sure it would be better than blowing it upwards, in any case, even though it's blowing across the horizontal (long) side.

I am sorry i missed this paragraph. My comprehension is limited due to lack of sleep last night. Got home late and played late. That is and would be simple solution. LOL I just might give that a shot. The fan would be offset a bit but with the pulling action of the exhaust fan , should be an improvement.

Again i am sorry i did not notice your suggestion and will certain use it when i remove the heatsink for reapplication of the thermal compound

No worries! Looking forward to seeing your results :)

Well i tried turning the heatsink around and I must have been drunk last night becuase the space needed is much more than just the clips. It is just not possible.

I did however clean up the as5 and apply the grease that came with it to both surfaces per the directions and the result is a more uniform temp across the cores. It was such a pain in the ass re seeding the heat sink while still in the case, i wont be lapping until i do a mobo change out. At least thats how i feel right now i am so pissed off. What a fuking nightmare lol

Back