Q6600 idles at 60 peeks at 80

kiio

n00b
This seems a bit high to me considering the huge air fan i have on it. Just wondering what are the normal temps i should expect from this cpu without any overclocking.

thanks

Depends, with stock cooler and a poorly cooled case and the CPU fan control left on defaults so it runs as slowly as possible to reduce noise at the expense of higher operating temps the temps you report are on the high side but not out of line.

If this is a performance build with no overclock or the CPU fan is set to run at 100% or you have a high performance CPU heatsink/fan installed something is wrong.

More information as to case, heatsink, system settings etc. to make a real diagnosis but the first thing to check if you are using the stock or similar heatsink that uses the push-pin attachment method is to make sure all the push pins are fully seated. The stock heatsink should be on there rock solid when installed properly.

Also where are you getting those temps from ? Download and run RealTemp and report the core temps at idle and load.

The 20C delta between idle and load that you report is actually pretty good indicating the HS is working OK but makes me wonder.

To answer you question I would be looking for idle temps around 30-35C after the machine came up to temp and load temps 65-75 running something like OCCT that loads all four cores. But it varies widely based on room temp, case cooling blah blah blah. More info needed.

Last edited:
idle of 60 is very high but if you are saying you don't go above 80 at load that is okay... okay in the sense that you are still 20C from TjMax at that point.

But you are getting very close to the max temps you really want to ever see out of your chip and if you are reaching those temps at stock speeds with stock voltage something is definitely wrong. With my Q6600 I only hit those temps at 3.6Ghz, 1.5v, using a $15 heatsink from fry's and only even then on a hot day.

Yes, more info needed. Case? Fans? Number of fans? Speed of fans? Cooler? Thermal compound used?

Depends, with stock cooler and a poorly cooled case and the CPU fan control left on defaults so it runs as slowly as possible to reduce noise at the expense of higher operating temps the temps you report are on the high side but not out of line.

If this is a performance build with no overclock or the CPU fan is set to run at 100% or you have a high performance CPU heatsink/fan installed something is wrong.

More information as to case, heatsink, system settings etc. to make a real diagnosis but the first thing to check if you are using the stock or similar heatsink that uses the push-pin attachment method is to make sure all the push pins are fully seated. The stock heatsink should be on there rock solid when installed properly.

Also where are you getting those temps from ? Download and run RealTemp and report the core temps at idle and load.

The 20C delta between idle and load that you report is actually pretty good indicating the HS is working OK but makes me wonder.

To answer you question I would be looking for idle temps around 30-35C after the machine came up to temp and load temps 65-75 running something like OCCT that loads all four cores. But it varies widely based on room temp, case cooling blah blah blah. More info needed.

What cooler are you using? Stock? Are you using some form of thermal compound?

Check that the cooler is flat and touching the CPU completely. If you have thermal paste you can tell if the CPU/cooler was touching completely.

you either have poor contact with the heatsink and CPU and/or too much thermal grease between the two

Back