Q6600 G0, is it just HYPE?

chanchan

Limp Gawd
I've noticed many people are getting their hands on G0 now.

Which begs the question is it really that good? It was the ES G0 which was clocked @ 3.9 GHz on air that caused all the commotion. However, I've yet to have seen good overclocks, I think only one user posted 3.5GHz on their signature. Everyone else with G0 seem to have rather conservative over-clocks, ranging from 3.0GHz - 3.3GHz.

If that's the case I've played with 3 B3 chips myself using air cooling, I've reached 3.15GHz -> 3.3GHz easily. These were all done with minimal over-volting 1.35v - 1.45v.

I guess I'm just hoping to see larger over-clocks with 10w less output, roughly 3.4GHz - 3.6GHz on average would be more admirable.

:)

I've seen a couple at 3.7GHz on air with great temps. It's not hype.

I will let you know once i oc mine next week( waiting for my cooler to arrive) but i too have seen multiple 3.6 and 3.7+ oc's and besides I will be happy with 3.2 -3.4 with the lower voltage and temps the G0 allows

Quad.jpg

Damn! I really convinced that I got the the last B3 possible!

You have L719B246 which is a G0 and I have L719B098 which is a B3 :(

Well, it may be true, but I'm can run 3GHz with undervolting =)

3.3GHz is easily done without raising any voltages too.

My VID is 1.3125, which is also very high, meaning my chip is one of the poorer chips too. So I'm thinking you get some free margins for low overclocks. Going for the heavy stuff (>3.6GHz) seems to be rather limited though (although still seeing quite a few).

Well bottom line is I am bored with my core two and decided that if I was going Quad now , mine as well be a G0. I ordered a thermalright and if I can go 3.2 to 3.4 ultra stable I will be happy. I may venture into water cooling in the Fall but before i do that i feel I must venture to the max air cool scenario and I have a feeling that i will get to 3.6 or better given i could do that with my core 2

Don't think that matters, I have L721A358 which I'm pretty sure is a B3.

Who knows how they work it.

edit: as an addendum, maybe the A in mine and B in yours means the difference

Does anyone know if their fry's stores are selling G0 s yet? I want to maybe just go to frys and get one, but I don't want to drive 20 min. just for all of them to be B3. Do you think if I called them up, they would tell me?

seriously doubt they'd check for you. When you call, you'll be transferred to a salesperson who won't be anywhere near the "cage" where the cpu's live. Your best chance is to just go there and when you go to the counter to pay, ask the cashier to ask the cage person to look for a "SLACR". If they don't have any, cancel your purchase.

Hello,

I'm a newbbie. Also considering in getting an ASUS Striker w/ a Q6600.
Excuse my question,,but can someone let me know what's G0, B3 ... i'm lost. How can i tell, what's what?

By the way i wanna OC this board - memory recomendations?

I will appreciate the feedback...

thank you

Does anyone know if their fry's stores are selling G0 s yet? I want to maybe just go to frys and get one, but I don't want to drive 20 min. just for all of them to be B3. Do you think if I called them up, they would tell me?

my fry's has a lot of B3's and no G0.... it is probably a matter of time though. just go to their electronic cage and ask them to search for SLACR in the product code. Thats what I did. I did it at Microcenter and found no one who has it. I will have to wait till Aug 6th when Tankguys will ship out my preordered G0.

BTW the G0 is not hype, from the preliminary results it seems that the G0 reaches 3.6GHz on avergae, which is about 400MHz more than the B3's before. Of course this is a rough estimate since in the end it is still all luck of the draw. They also seem to need less volts to reach the same clock speed.

the only place you can be sure to get a G0 is NCIX they have a bunch, and pwn the egg with them.

the only place you can be sure to get a G0 is NCIX they have a bunch, and pwn the egg with them.

thats NOT true, they have been shipping B3's as well as G0 (especially lately) check their forums. A lot of people have gotten B3's

BTW the G0 is not hype, from the preliminary results it seems that the G0 reaches 3.6GHz on avergae, which is about 400MHz more than the B3's before.

It seems like everyone reaching these speeds and above are under water.

I'd say so far G0 is looking like...

3.3-3.5 average on air
3.4-3.8 average on water

Which is pretty damn good for quads.

My B3 is 100% Stable at 3.3 at 1.375v. It was only slightly unstable at 3.4, but I didn't want to raise the voltage much more.

Interestingly the pack date on my L720A331 B3 is 7/16/07 which is really recent considering I bought it on the 21st or so.

For some reason on my BadAxe2, I can't get my B3 to post at anything over 2.5Ghz. :(

I'll keep trying, but I've tried many different voltages, FSBs, and anything else I can think of. My E6700 oc'd to 3.1Ghz easy, though.

I want to get 3.75ghz on mine if I get a g0. Ordering from NCIX tomorrow and crossing my fingers.

I'd say either your motherboard doesn't properly support quadcore, or your psu is insufficient.

No, mine works ;)

Just go in the bios with the jumper in "Recovery mode" then disable "Watchdog" in the maintenance menu. This is what prevent you from overclocking...

DirectCanada and NCIX feed from the same warehouses so be careful with this statement. It's more like 80% G0 - 20% B3.

Well, they do say shipping SLACR stepping only, at least directcanada.com says so.

Well, they do say shipping SLACR stepping only, at least directcanada.com says so.

Right from their Q6600 page...

Specifications
***SHIPPING SLACR STEPPINGS ONLY***
Quad Core
Core Stepping : SLA
Bus/Core Ratio : 9.0
Execute Disable Bit
Intel Thermal Monitor 2
Intel Smart Memory Access
Intel Wide Dynamic Execution
Intel Intelligent Power Capability
L2 Cache Speed : 2.40 GHz

:)

I am at 3700 right now on my g0 on water. I am sure I will be able to do 3800+ once I get a couple of things upgraded for quad-core(motherboard, and PSU).

I actually have my G0 overclocked to 3.6 right now with my stated fsb @ 1800 and my actual fsb at 450 and my cpu multiplier at 8. I am using a zalman reserator plus passive water cooling setup. I am pretty sure i can go higher than this but i just don't see any logical reason to overclock any higher at the moment, expecially when i tested cs source at 1600x1200 with 8xaa and all ingame setting at high and i was getting between 157-200fps:D :D :D :D
The computer that i put together is listed below.

Q6600 [email protected]
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
Creative X-FI Xtreme music
Gigabyte p35-ds3p
2 gigs of corsair XMS2 PC8500
OCZ Prostream 1000 watt psu
Ageia physix card

my idle temps are 39c and full load 52c

oyeah by the way i am running everything on stock voltage and my ram @ 1066 with 5-5-5-15 timings and it is stable. The question that i have now is wether i should upgrade to vista?

II am pretty sure i can go higher than this but i just don't see any logical reason to overclock any higher at the moment, expecially when i tested cs source at 1600x1200 with 8xaa and all ingame setting at high and i was getting between 157-200fps:D :D :D :D
Yes finally! I have a G0 from NCIX on the way, can't wait to finally be able to use 100 rates in CS:S, been a long damn time coming. Can't wait to see what Source can do with the multi-core engine update.

No, mine works ;)

Just go in the bios with the jumper in "Recovery mode" then disable "Watchdog" in the maintenance menu. This is what prevent you from overclocking...

Is this a hidden feature on the BadAxe2? Does this maintenance menu only show up when you boot in "recovery mode", as I don't see a maintenance menu in the regular menu?

oyeah by the way i am running everything on stock voltage and my ram @ 1066 with 5-5-5-15 timings and it is stable. The question that i have now is wether i should upgrade to vista?

:eek: :eek: You're at 3.6ghz and stock voltage? That's the best I've seen so far. Damn, mine needs 1.45v to get 3.6ghz. With the bad Vdroop on the eVGA A1 board, it's at 1.38v.

Ironically, if i increase the voltage even a bit above 1.25 it becomes unstable. The only way i can keep things stable while i overclock is to leave absolutely everything at stock voltage if i don't want back to back crashing....:confused: :confused: :confused:

AFAICT, directcanada does not ship to the US (their order form wont allow you to enter a non canadian address).

Back