Q6600 and Vista 64 SpeedStep... Oddness?

-Dragon-

2[H]4U
I got one of those tasty Q6600's and was working on OCing it, got it running seemingly stable at 3.3GHz and left P95 running for about 8 hours for the stability test. For testing I had disabled C1E and SpeedStep in the BIOS, tho prior to to the test Windows Update installed an update that seemed to be related to power usage and SpeedStep. CPU-Z and SpeedFan were also left open to monitor CPU speed and temperature. When I checked the progress after the 8 hour run I noticed in CPU-Z that the multiplier had spontaniously dropped from 9x to 6x leaving me with a 2.2GHz CPU. I don't think it was thermal throttling as CPU temperatures were in the 50-60C range depending on what P95 was doing.

Nothing I could do in Windows could get the multiplier back up to 9x, was like SpeedStep had throttled it down for some reason but refused to throttle back up. I rebooted the system and actually enabled C1E and SpeedStep in the BIOS and went re-ran the test, after about 9.5 hours the system was still running stably at 3.3GHz with it's full 9x multiplier, tho prior to the test I could see SpeedStep throttle CPU multiplier up and down before I started P95.

Any idea what would/could cause the CPU multiplier to be throttled like it was the first time even tho SpeedStep was enabled? I'm wondering if something in Vista is trying to force SpeedStep to throttle down even tho it's disabled in the BIOS, but since it is disabled in the BIOS it can't ramp back up as needed. Was at 9+ hours before I left for work, by the time I get home if it's still up it will be over 20 hours, highest temp I've observed is 61-62C on any test.

At the time I think they were 1.4Vcore. Prime95 ended up running about 23 hours with no errors at that setup.

Back