Q6600 and Freezer 7 -- Booooooooo

Mayhem33

[H]ard|Gawd
I bought this cooler due to the $35 price tag. The cooler is always room temp even though CoreTemp shows 75 Celsius. I need a better cooler. B3 folding 24/7 besides other duties. What would you recommend? I know about the Extreme 120 and this I believe is doable. Just looking for some feedback from you.

You sure you have it seated correctly? Those pins can be a pain in the ass to get on correctly.

I have several Freezer 7 Pros and they are good.
Redo it. I had an e4300 that was running hot, I swore the HSF was on correctly (Intel Stock) but when I looked one of the pins hadnt been fully presssed through the MB........
I redid the AS and reseated the HSF and all was well.

i have reseated the HSF twice using AS5, temps stay the same. it sure looks like the pins are all the way down. i do install it with the board out of the case. you should stop after the first crunch of the pin push right? it does not have another level, right? i pressed those pins down hard enough to that i was worried about my thumb and the board itself.

I think the heat output of a Q6600 exceeds the cooling capabilities of a six heatpipe ACF7P.

I think the heat output of a Q6600 exceeds the cooling capabilities of a six heatpipe ACF7P.

If that was the case, how do you justify the POS stock heatsink Intel sends you to use with it........

My OC Q6600 idles at 32 C under water and just a bit higher with a F7 Pro.
I think it depends on whether its OC'd or not. As an example, my e6600 and 6700s are both OC'd by 35% (3.3 approx) and are cooled by FP 7s with idles at 30 C and loads at 45C under 3D gaming.

Tjunction (throttling temp) for Q6600 is 100 degrees C. As long as you're well below this in Coretemp you're fine.

People who are used to Prescotts don't worry about Q6600 temps at all. Folding on all cores, I'm getting lower temps with a Q6600@3GHz than with a P4 550@stock (3.4GHz) in the same system :)

If that was the case, how do you justify the POS stock heatsink Intel sends you to use with it........

My OC Q6600 idles at 32 C under water and just a bit higher with a F7 Pro.
I think it depends on whether its OC'd or not. As an example, my e6600 and 6700s are both OC'd by 35% (3.3 approx) and are cooled by FP 7s with idles at 30 C and loads at 45C under 3D gaming.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=8757&page=115

Huh. I was under the impression that the ACF7P that I have was better than stock, and quieter but not necessarily a cooling superstar. The above suggests otherwise however.

I would have expected the Thermalright Ultra 120 to have placed better. If my $22 Freezer 7 Pro can match that, I'm even more okay with it than I already was.

Hey, I'm not makin' this stuff up.

The FP7 is a really great cooler, and given the price I got mine, 27 bucks I think......its hard to argue with.

Back