Q6600 + 8800GTS (512MB) = 4500/5000 3DMark2006?

R3MF

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello all,

I have finally got this new workstation on the network and submitted a 3Dmark score to the website (give me the result on-screen please), and got the rather appalling score of 5100 and 4500 in 3DMark2006!

This is a clean install of WinXP Pro with SP2
Intel Q6600
800GTS (512MB)
Gigabyte P35 DDR3 motherboard
4GB of DDR3 (3.5GB recognised)
latest WHQL drivers for the 8800GTS (6291)
v1.1 of 2006
All system drivers installed and no question marks in Device Manager
No system processes hogging the CPU's or memory

What the hell is going on?
This score is less than my personal PC in my sig!

Regards

:eek: Please check with GPU-Z if that video card is functioning at PCIe x16 or not !
Your 3DM06 final score is whaat ?

Try looking to see if the DirectX features is enabled for DirectDraw, Direct3D and AGP texture Acceleration. They should all be enabled.

Start ---> Run ---> dxdiag

Also, under Display Properties ---> Advanced ---> Troubleshoot

See if the Hardware acceleration is on Full.

I have confirmed with GPU-Z that the card is only working at PCIe 1x.

How do you fix this problem?

Is it the rubbish Asus 400W PSU?

Many thanks

which? :)

the monitor also fails to come on unless the machine is started by a Reset.

If you have a 2nd PCI-E x16 card available to test, plug that into the board and see if the same thing happens. If it does, you can be sure its a BIOS setting, or a bad PCI-E socket/bad mobo.

Also, take your 8800GTS and put it in a working computer. If that machine works fine, you know that the card isnt bad and that it IS the other machine. If that machine sees it as x1, its a bad card, or bad card BIOS, but I would RMA.

If it turns out to be the mobo, just do a BIOS reset. It should put the PCI-E slot back to auto config, and it should recognize the card as x16.

cheers.

a bit more info.

just put a high quality 370W PSU (as opposed to a cheap rubbish 400W asus) and the BIOS beeps indicate the card is not properly installed, which to me says the problem is a power one.

but i bear in mind what you have advised.

Wow, for once it may be a PSU problem! :p

Wait a tic, that BIOS Beep code just means there may or may not be a video card. If its not installed properly, yeah, that MIGHT get it working in 1x, but chances are, it wouldnt work period.

Still could be a bad card. Try it in a known working machine ^_^

ins't 370w too little for your setup? I mean most card recommendations ask for 500+w psu high quality.

370w is WAY underpowering that system. 8800GTS, 4gb memory, Q6600....yeah buddy, you need at LEAST 500w, 550w to be safe. That's why your not getting video until you press the reset button, the power supply doesn't have enough power to turn everything on the first time around.

Go here http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html and plug in the data. 507w is what I came up with as the smalled PSU capable of running your system.

I wouldnt go that far. Ive heard of a C2Q, 4GB and an 8800GT running on 250w.

Ref: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1278781

I believe its just an AMD dual core if your talking about the posters rig in your reference and not a C2Q. I personally would not want to be running my psu @ 80 and 90% all the time. Your just asking for trouble in the long run.

R3MF, I see you do actually have a quad and with that setup it could likely be your PSU. The corsair PSU's have been dropping in price lately. I was able to score a Corsair 550VX for 50$ after rebate and google checkout on amazon. Seasonic and PC P&C have a good reputation also. Avoid generic junk power supplies. What was your total 3dmark score? I see your giving two scores.

that is the total score, ran it twice so two scores given.

thanks again for the info guys. :)

Ouch...Thats low and has to be the PCIe 1x issue. What brand is your video card? I would get the latest bios release for your motherboard. You can also try setting optimized defaults in bios and then go back and make your usual changes. Sounds like you need to get your system stable also.

cheers

is there a consensus on what causes the PCIe 1x problem with 8800GTS cards?

cheers

is there a consensus on what causes the PCIe 1x problem with 8800GTS cards?

Have you tried setting optimized defaults in your bios? What brand is your 8800GT. The reason I ask is im seeing more PCIe 1x issues with the gigabytes.

What motherboard do you have and is the video card in the right pci-e slot?

Gigabyte P35
Asus 8800GTS

card in the top slot.

Have you tried setting optimized defaults in bios? You need to start there and make sure its setup right. I would verify you have the latest bios firmware version as well. I have yet to run into the PCIe 1x issue and ive done a few GT's and GTS's including my own. Good luck.

R3MF
not to make you feel worse, but, i get 8000+ on my old 8800 gts 640.:D

R3MF
not to make you feel worse, but, i get 8000+ on my old 8800 gts 640.:D

I was getting 12,028 in 3dmark06 with an 8800 GTS 320. It was overclocked and in the same rig in my sig. My 8800 GTS 512 is getting right at 13,800 overclocked but have not tried for a max score. I more or less use it for lopping and stability/temp testing. I hope that doesnt make him feel any worse :)

I have almost the same setup w/vista 64 bit and get way higher. Check your PCI-E bus in your bios.

you will probably have to RMA the card, there are some posts here regarding those kind of problems with the video card you have and with the 8800gt....and most of them are being resolved by RMA...

Well the BIOS on my ASUS P5E-VM DO actually has a "run PEG slot @ 1x"(or something similar) setting, which would basically neuter the card. So I am voting that a BIOS setting is wrong and your motherboard is limiting the card.

It isn't the PSU, just installed a brand new Corsair 550W and still at PCIe 1x according to GPUz

There are three VGA related BIOS settings:
1) VGA overclock - Auto/Fast/Turbo
2) PCIe frequency - Auto/90MHz-110MHz
3) PCIe overvolting - bumped it up two separate notches (0.05v?)

none of it has made a blind bit of difference.

i still have a Q6600/8800GTS/4GB workstation scoring 4500 in 3DMk06!!!!!!!

any ideas?

there are others on this forum who have had the same problem with 8800GTS cards, is this how they solved the problem?

In Advanced BIOS Features make sure you have Init Display First set to PEG so it's at least detecting to use a PCI-e card first.

Reading your problem, I would have most definitely said the problem is your power supply because the exact same thing happened to me.

I was using a PCPower Silencer 750 but instead of combining two different wire leads into the vid card's connector, I used the single 6-pin PCI-E connector directly from the PSU. My '06 score was a little over 7000 so I knew something was terribly wrong. As soon as I used the enclosed two-12v-lead-combining connector, my score jumped to over 12,000.

I'm still not convinced that your problem is not a power problem simply because that's exactly what these cards do when there's insufficient power available - they throttle back. My PSU has 60 amps on its 12v rail and I still had to combine two different power leads - that gives you an idea just how much power the GTS 512 sucks down.

I think that score is pretty good, are you overclocking your Q6600?

Either way keep up the nice specs.

Yeah, buddy it's your power supply, you should have atleast a 500 watt PSU more likely a 550-600 watt (GPUs easily use 150 watts) and your CPU uses enough power 370 is nowhere near enough. Sorry man but 370s just don't cut it anymore. :(

Yeah, buddy it's your power supply, you should have atleast a 500 watt PSU more likely a 550-600 watt (GPUs easily use 150 watts) and your CPU uses enough power 370 is nowhere near enough. Sorry man but 370s just don't cut it anymore. :(

Unless you build your mom a low power consuming E6400 with a 7300GS haha, but with this monster of a system, don't skimp on any parts.

Back