Q6600 4.0GHZ Club / The i7 Killers

MocciBoo

Limp Gawd
The Q6600 Certified 4.0ghz Club

1. MocciBoo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just tallying up the folks that got their Q6600s up to 4.0ghz stable. It's pretty rare thing to get these things up to 4.0ghz...a lot of the extreme Quads can't even get to 4.0, but I'm

interested to see how many people here have done it with the Q6600 in particular. There is no real way to verify that your stable, but post your vantage score that way we know it can handle 100% load for a set amount of time.

To be in this "Club" have a Q6600 @ 4.0ghz and up and post:

1. Your 3dmark06 or 3dmark Vantage comparison score. That way we know your cpu can at least handle 100% load for a good amount of time.

2. Also put your hardforum user name on the "Project Name" in the details section of your 3dmark result that way we know it's you and your not using some random public score.

3. You have to make your results public so that you can get a comparison link.....like the link I have below...

I'll start:

http://service.futuremark.com/resultComparison.action?compareResultId=753442&compareResultType=19

myvantageskore.jpg

Probably going to either need a TRUE with an extremely high RPM fan, or a descent watercooling kit to accomplish this task, along with a good ocing board. I would not recommend trying this if your a noob to ocing. Might want to look at your VID...the lower the value the better the processor will OC. My VID on my quad is 1.25.

[H]adouken;1033676739 said:
Great job! But elaborate on "The i7 Killers", please?

My guess is that a Q6600 @ 4.0 outperforms an i7?

No it doesn't mean it's faster, for me personally, it just kills the need to upgrade to an i7, hence the name "i7 killers."

No it doesn't mean it's faster, for me personally, it just kills the need to upgrade to an i7, hence the name "i7 killers."

The term killer when applied to products refers to one being clearly superior to the other. Basically, you're doing it wrong.

Besides, don't we have the overclocking database in the Intel forum? This thread is kind of redundant in light of that thread.

Perhaps there is an oc database, but this thread targets a pretty select group...not many achieve 4.0 clocks on a Q6600...as they are usually limited by the chip itself....so this thread is far from redundant. I'm interested to see what kind of systems people are running with a 4.0 clock.

my GPU score was pretty low for a 4870x2, because I have 1 of my 2 disabled, as it was on my CRT profile, that I only use to play UT2004 on :)

Your gpu score / gaming performance results would probably be around 13-14k with the 4870x2 with the 2nd gpu enabled, not too far from what I scored with a 4850x2. Good example of why an i7 doesn't exactly boost gaming performance at all.

re-ran it

CPU 23000
GPU 15735

http://service.futuremark.com/home.action?resultId=753770&resultType=19

not only was 1 card disabled, but so was all catalyst AI settings, witch includes tweaks and such.

But you are right, for games, I think your GPU bound w/ a dual core C2D at 3.6 ghz.

I dont think a person on a C2D at 3.6 w/ my videocard could tell the difference from my machine w/ my i7 at 4.2ghz.

This is great news for gamers!

However, I will tell you where I did see a difference, in encoding video. Insanely huge difference!

Don't worry, you won't be the only one ;) If I recall correctly, I'm getting around 32k cpu score with i7 @ 4ghz. Are you having HT on or off?

HT was on. I can rebench at 4.0ghz and see what the difference is. I am only running 3.8 right now cause I was tweaking to see if its my board that was keeping me from going higher or my CPU, and unfortunately, its my board. Have a DFI X58 on the way :)

I actually get 43k CPU score with 920 @ 4ghz. GPU score is 5k (total score 7k) since I'm running 9800gt in my i7 rig at the moment but I'll plug in gtx280 and see where it takes me lol :D

Bah, only getting responses from i7 guys rather than q6600 guys. Guess no one else with a Q6600 is running @ 4.0.

Hey, you asked for it with such a provocative thread title ;) :D

BTW, nothing against your quad but for me, coming from a dual to i7, i7 is really a monster, imho, no comparison to my e8500 @ 4ghz

Oh, ok, I didn't realize that :)

EDIT: yup, with physx turned off, cpu score falls to 24k.

re-ran it

I dont think a person on a C2D at 3.6 w/ my videocard could tell the difference from my machine w/ my i7 at 4.2ghz.

Good point, all the more reason to stick with a Q6600 right now. I guess if your a video professional and handle large quantities of video encoding, i7 may be the ticket as time is money. I think most people would probably be able to afford to wait a couple of minutes longer for the encoding process.

As for gaming there is no difference at your standard 1440x900 resolutions and up. I don't think many people dishing the ends on i7 setups play at 1440x900 and below.

so back to the topic...q6600s @ 4.0...

wouldn't it be better to have cpuz verified as well as a screenshot of prime for 8+ hrs. Anyone can do a suicide run at extremely high voltages just to get through vantage.

with my setup anything above 3.6 requires some insane voltage on the CPU, and NB fronts as well as better than air cooling. post is possible as is login screen, but prime fail from the get go.

I would like to know what the OP is doing to be able to get 4.0 Ghz on that Q6600. Cooling? voltages? Bios Settings? CPU temps with all 4 cores loaded with Prime95 or Orthos.

Id say that my q6600 would probably do 4.0ghz, if i was prepared to push the voltage a bit more, best ive acheived so far is 3.8ghz, bios vcore of 1.50625, 1.496 idle, 1.512 load. Chip has a vid of 1.2750. Would also have to look at a few delta fans as my current sharkoon silent eagle 2000's might not be able to cope with the extra heatload. Still im quite happy with 3.8ghz, i reckon its still pretty good on what is by no means a golden standard chip.

I've been sitting stable @ 3.6 at 1.3V for a while, I might be able to get 4Ghz with 4 sticks of ram, I'll give her a shot tonight :p

I wouldn't say it's an i7 killer, but at half the cost of an i7 mobo/cpu combo it sure can be in terms of performance/$

I've been sitting stable @ 3.6 at 1.3V for a while, I might be able to get 4Ghz with 4 sticks of ram, I'll give her a shot tonight :p

I wouldn't say it's an i7 killer, but at half the cost of an i7 mobo/cpu combo it sure can be in terms of performance/$
3.6ghz on 1.3vcore is pretty good (i need 1.400 for 3.6) what sort of cooling are you using?

I would like to know what the OP is doing to be able to get 4.0 Ghz on that Q6600. Cooling? voltages? Bios Settings? CPU temps with all 4 cores loaded with Prime95 or Orthos.

Honestly I think the processor could go up higher. Very pleased with the rampage extreme's performance. I got this asus rampage extreme last month on newegg for $159 open box. I am pretty certain that with these clocks...it's not defective. My next board will probably be an Asus. I'll probably get an i7 next year..but by then it will be old tech.

Voltages:

CPU - 1.45v
NB - 1.3v
Ram Timings / Freq: 8-9-9-20(Auto) @ 1338mhz @ 1.7v (OCZ Fatality DDR3 2x2GB)

CPU Cooling: Swiftech Apogee GTZ Water Block
NB Cooling: Swiftech NB-Max Water Block - specifically made for the rampage extreme.
Radiatior: Feser TFC XChanger Quad (4 Yates @ 1200RPM)
I also have my 4850x2 in the loop with 2 GFX2 blocks.

CPU Temps: 38-41c idle
Prime 95 after an hour: 58c max temp. There could be a lot of improvement here if I was running higher rpm fans on my rad.

Honestly I think the processor could go up higher. Very pleased with the rampage extreme's performance. I got this asus rampage extreme last month on newegg for $159 open box. I am pretty certain that with these clocks...it's not defective. My next board will probably be an Asus. I'll probably get an i7 next year..but by then it will be old tech.

Voltages:

CPU - 1.45v
NB - 1.3v
Ram Timings / Freq: 8-9-9-20(Auto) @ 1338mhz @ 1.7v (OCZ Fatality DDR3 2x2GB)

CPU Cooling: Swiftech Apogee GTZ Water Block
NB Cooling: Swiftech NB-Max Water Block - specifically made for the rampage extreme.
Radiatior: Feser TFC XChanger Quad (4 Yates @ 1200RPM)
I also have my 4850x2 in the loop with 2 GFX2 blocks.

CPU Temps: 38-41c idle
Prime 95 after an hour: 58c max temp. There could be a lot of improvement here if I was running higher rpm fans on my rad.

Nice oc, load temps are very good and the volts nice and low:)

Thats an insanely low vid Q6600. Very impressive, I'm guessing Intel could've easily turned it into an Extreme Edition or a server chip if they wanted to. My Q6600 (vid 1.2625) does 3.897Ghz but thats at 1.472 vcore after LLC is enabled in bios. I can probably do 3.95Ghz at 1.5V but since I prefer to use IBT to test system stability temps will be unmanageable.

I got the processor from tigerdirect about 9 months ago new. Maybe Tigerdirect gets the good chips? It was OEM at the time and cost me $250 bucks.

So a bit expensive considering what they are priced at now. I hear the new ones don't OC as good though. You got a good one as well so perhaps you bought yours a while back? Any ways I don't run 4.0ghz 24/7 lol. I run it at 3.2 at 24/7. 4.0ghz is just there if I ever need it. Probably not any time soon.

Your quite right about some of the newer q6600's being poor clockers, my own is about 6 months old and isnt to bad (1.2750vid, batch no, L803A746) Some of my friends have bought quads in the last 4-5 months and theyre strugging to get 3.5-6ghz on them, often needing quite high voltage to do so.

afraid I can't join the club as I sold an L737B that I had for only a few days. I never tried to get it to 4.0GHz stable... I booted it a few times but was happy with 3.94 stable with 1.35V Vcore... Turns out that my waterblock wasn't mounted very tight and was in need of cleaning so that explained why my temps managed to get above 60C... kinda wish I had tried to get above 4.0

Your quite right about some of the newer q6600's being poor clockers, my own is about 6 months old and isnt to bad (1.2750vid, batch no, L803A746) Some of my friends have bought quads in the last 4-5 months and theyre strugging to get 3.5-6ghz on them, often needing quite high voltage to do so.

How do you find out the batch #? I'd be interested to know what batch mine is from.

Problem with that is I bought this oem at tigerdirect...and I'd have to take out my rig apart / loops, etc....to see the batch #. I am using arctic ceramique on the cpu and kind of want to switch to arctic cooling mx2 though.

Watercooling.. ok, it makes sense now. My chip could probably hit 4Ghz on water. As it is, I get max 62C load temps with Prime95 loading all cores.

Actually, if I ever get around to it, I could probably do a bit more on air with my current heatsink if I pushed more air through it.

I got the processor from tigerdirect about 9 months ago new. Maybe Tigerdirect gets the good chips? It was OEM at the time and cost me $250 bucks.

So a bit expensive considering what they are priced at now. I hear the new ones don't OC as good though. You got a good one as well so perhaps you bought yours a while back? Any ways I don't run 4.0ghz 24/7 lol. I run it at 3.2 at 24/7. 4.0ghz is just there if I ever need it. Probably not any time soon.

Actually recently, but I bought a boxed one of newegg b/c an IT friend of mine suggested that boxed ones are higher binned. YMMW but I ended up getting a good one anyways.

I'm currently running 3.6GHz @ 1.33V, but that's with a TRUE and a 7V Panaflo :D. I've had this chip over 4GHz, but I miss the quiet :(

What about G0 stepping? Shouldn't that help the overclock?

My G0 Q6600 is overclocked to 4.15GHz and
it iddles at 29 and under load 37 (using water cooling)
Highest temperture were 48 after 30 hours of prime 98
My voltage is at 1.56 its a bit high but its been stable for 2 month.
I managed to get to trought Vantage oc at 4.55 but it failed after
5min of prime98...but I think it fails because of my mother board..

Back