Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz... 70* under load?

dr.stevil

[H]F Junkie
Hello, I don't post a whole lot... I do read the forums as often as I can though.

I have an Intel C2Q (6600, g0) chip running @ 3Ghz at the moment. I'm running a fairly cheap heatsink/fan from newegg on a DFi Bloodiron motherboard. I notice, depending on ambient temps in the room, that the core temps will occasionally spike up towards 70 degrees and even higher in some cases under load. Not only does it worry me, but it's also annying hearing the CPU fan kick on every 10 seconds. Can you point me to a good, silent cooler that's not overpriced? Newegg has a bunch, but don't have much experience with most of the brands they carry

I would also like to push the CPU a little further, but don't know what would be considered 'safe' on this chip. I'm not a huge OC'er... I just like giving the system that extra 'oomph'... I never really mess with memory timings or anything like that. What would you suggest going for? I've read of people hitting close to 4ghz, but I don't want an unreliable system either.

What are some of you guys running on a Q6600? What multiplier, FSB and voltages are you running with your OC?

thanks in advance
dr

Is your chip flat? Is the heatsink base flat? Are you using thermal paste or pad? You might want to clean the heatsink base and chip and then properly reapply the paste and reseat the heatsink. I'm sure there are some stickies around here detailing the procedures for the above.

It sounds like your fan control settings may be an issue. Are you using the PWM on your mobo to control the fan? It sounds like the mobo is allowing the proc to hit 70 then turning up the fan. You should try to modify the fan profile so that it comes on sooner, using either software that came with your mobo or speedfan.

You shouldn't be hearing the fan kick on when it hits 70- it should definitely ramp up to full speed far before this, maybe at 50 or 55 degrees. Maybe you could set it to 50% at 40, 75% at 50, and 100% at 55 or something. This would still keep it quiet at idle.

I personally use this cooler - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003. It keeps my Q6600 at 3.2 under 50c.

Also, what voltage are you running? I use 1.25v at 3.2, and I'm overestimating since I don't have the time to fine tune it. You may want to reduce your voltage.

thats a lot for the info. I'm not 100% sure what voltage I'm running off hand, I'll have to double check when I get home. When I first set it up I was having post problems and upped the voltage until it would post, then ran prime to test it out. I haven't messed with it since then, but may be giving it a little too much.

have you tried pushing your processor past 3.2? Or was it more or less "good enough" for you at that point?

q6700 3.4 (8 * 425) about 1.38v w/ true 120 unlapped load temps about 63
I've got a hid vid chip so it's taking more v than I want to use to get past 3.4.
Was hoping for higher but .7 ghz ain't bad.

this could help you........mine is overclocked to 3.0 Ghz, prime stable for almost 26 hours with round checking enabled, im using a thermaltake v1 heatsink and as you can see my temps are not high under load all cores working at 100%....heres a screenshot with the fsb frequency and the volts im using:

2002651476762267862_rs.jpg

let us know if it works for you ;)

I skimmed through the OP and didn't see a vcore posted.
So I'll assume you left it at "Auto" in your bios. Anyway, if that's true, that could likely be the problem.

Also a screenshot of your CPUZ would make it easier to judge.

Though, if your temps are "spiking", then it's probably another issue.

ok, just got home to check it out. About 68* ambient room temp, the processor, after running Prime95 for approx 15-20mins, is pegging 77-80 degree occasionally but usually seems to float around 75.

I'm running 1.264V (9x multi with a 333 fsb), idle temps are right around 43-49*. Do you think I'm giving it too much voltage?

thank you for the help

edit: oh, and to answer some of the other questions, I'm using thermal paste I picked up at bestbuy... figured it had to be better than the pre-applied stuff. I never had any issues using the same stuff on my old amd64 though.

I have to admit, the GPU does sit fairly close to the heatsink/fan and does tend to take up a lot of space, but I've tried using a box fan on high to get temps down and it didn't seem to effect it all that much. Maybe 1-2* max?

here is a screen shot too
s_dump.22ja08.png

Is that 68*F and 77-80*C ?

edit;
Running my Q6600 G0 at 1.237v (8x400) getting about 43C idle temps, hovers around 55C for gaming and regular load. Prime95 hits 70C easily.

I'm lapping mine ASAP for this reason exactly.
Could be related to a bad seating job, uneven HSF base, uneven heat spreader.

ok, apparently I did have it set to auto in the bios... it's been one of those days. I'll try adjusting the voltages a bit and see if that helps at all

thanks again

did you read the information on my screenshot ?

try to set the cpu voltage between 1.208 and 1.21 volts and see if your overclock is stable and also check if your temps get lower.....

and post results ;)

Thanks slamcmy, I tweaked my voltage settings and still got high temperatures. Decided to take the heatsink off and clean it up, re-apply some fresh compound and clean some other components while I was in there. Got it back up and running and sure as shit, idle temps are hovering around 35*C (opposed to mid-high 40's before). Ran prime for a good 20 mins. and temps never went above 57*

The bad news is, no matter what I tried, I cannot get it over 3.0Ghz stable. I can get it to boot into windows @ 3.2, but after 10mins of running prime, it BSOD's. Anything over that, the computer wont even post.

I'm almost positive it's a memory thing... not sure what to set it too, since I'm running currently 333fsb.... 333/800hmz memory mode, which puts the memory @ 800mhz. If I change the FSB to 355 (3.2) it gives around 900mhz I believe. If I set it to auto, it jumps to around 1600 and wont post.

oh well, at least it's running good again.

thanks

try lowering the memory divider. Running at slightly under 800 won't hurt, or rather you won't notice it. Could also try loosening the memory timings and upping the voltage for the RAM.

That might help you get to 3.2. Also remember, every chip is different. My Q6600 starts to eat up voltage past 3.0Ghz. Don't be shocked if you need to give it upwards of 1.35v.

FYI,
My Q6600 running at 3Ghz, full load temps for four cores are no higher than 49C with Xigmatek S1283 installed, and 59C with the Intel stock cooler. I would check the contact of the heatsink and processor first. Your temp looks too high to me.

Is your fan running lower than it's suppose to be?
Did you apply TIM "correctly?"
Try re-seating the heatsink.
Those are some quick & easy fixes.

If you have already gone through those, it could be most likely the cooler itself not being sufficient enough for the heat load.

It is in fact a 92mm type cooler and those aren't too good since the fan being pushed from a 92mm in general is very low & won't be enough for your quad as you can see

The voltage on your CPU is fine, there's nothing wrong with your current BIOS settings.

^Erm, what? I have an Ultima 90 with a 92mm Panaflo on my Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz, stock vCore, and load temps *never* exceed 60C.

I have reseated/repasted and used 3 different heatsinks on my q6600 and it still runs hot (in comparison to some of you other folks). I am currently sitting at 3.4ghz (378x9) and 1.36vCore. Idling 37-40C and maxing out around 70-72C. Running a Zerotherm NV120 @ max speed. Never had any stability issues, the chip does 3.0ghz on stock vCore. Haven't tried past 3.4 yet.

thanks for all of the replies. I'm going to give it another shot in the near future, just need to figure out some of the motherboard features (they're labeled a little different than most) and see if I can achieve something stable over 3.0

is anyone using the bloodiron motherboard by any chance?

edit: cre3d, you have a PM :)

well, big thanks to Cre3d for all the help and bios screenshots but everything I tried wouldn't let the machine post. Either I'm doing something terribly wrong, or this chip just doesn't like anything over 3.2ghz

Spent about 2 hours messing with it last night, only to finally put the OC back to 3.0
I did notice some of our bios menu's slightly differed from one another, so it might possibly be that it needs to be flashed if an update came out recently.

oh well, that's a project for another day

Sorry to hear that bud, how high did you end up taking the voltage? My BIOS is bearlake 12/24/2007. It's possible you have a bunk chip but I have a hard time believing it! Managed to get mine prime stable @ 3.6ghz yesterday, running like a champ on air :)

Back