Q6600 - 100% load, Cores running at different temps?

Escher

Limp Gawd
I've got 4 instances of Folding@Home running loading my processor to 100%. Using SpeedFan, I'm seeing Celsius temps of 68, 69, 63, 62 for the four cores respectively. Is this normal? I'd think there'd be slight variation of a degree or two, but not of 5-7 degrees. I'm not sure I trust SpeedFan's temps either as they seem higher than what I'd expect in general.

Well it's going to depend on your CPU cooler for temps, but core 1/2 on my folding box are consistantly 4-7ºC cooler than cores 3/4.

it's normal, it depends on your cores location and the flatness of your heatsink/heat spreader, I have a big diff on idle more so then load, idle 8-10deg, load 4deg

It seems pretty common for two of the cores of the Q6600 to run hotter than the other two - 68/69 and 63/62 in your case. Remember the Q6600 is two dual-cores stuck together.

Two of my cores are always about 10 degrees hotter than the other two. I've reseated my HSF and even replaced it entirely, still have a 10C difference.

Interesting, the two dual-core jammed together explanation seems dead on as those two sets of cores always seem to track each other.
More interesting is that SpeedFan and CoreTemp report the exact same values while Real Temp reports values that are 4-5 degrees cooler consistently. What's the difference?

No core will be 100% the same.
Different temps are quite normal.

Nothing "fishy" here...

Or you could spend 2 mintues getting to know the search function and see that there are a ton of threads where this is already covered. It's normal.

Back