Q2VKPT Brings Ray Tracing to Quake 2

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by AlphaAtlas, Jan 18, 2019.

1. AlphaAtlas

AlphaAtlas [H]ard|Gawd Staff Member

Graphics developers just released an ray traced version of Quake 2, which they claim to be "the first playable game that is entirely raytraced and efficiently simulates fully dynamic lighting in real-time." Calling it a Quake 2 mod is a bit of an understatement, as the project represents a Vulkan rewrite of most of Q2PRO's rendering code, which is itself a massive modification of Quake 2. The researchers say the project "is meant to serve as a proof-of-concept for computer graphics research and the game industry alike," and that it serves as a glimpse into a future where ray tracing has replaced rasterization. If you want to try it out, the initial release can be downloaded on the project's Github page. Thanks to RPS for spotting the release.

Check out the ray traced Quake 2 footage here.

VKPT and Q2VKPT were created by Christoph Schied as a spare-time project to validate the results of computer graphics research in an actual game. The project currently encompasses 12K lines of code and completely replaces the original Quake II graphics code. Initially, it was prototyped in OpenGL with contributions by Johannes Hanika (Experimental Ray Tracing, Shaders, GL/Vulkan Fixes), Addis Dittebrandt (Light Hierarchy, Debug Visualisation), Tobias Zirr (Light Sampling, Hack Supervision and Instigation, Website, Info Texts), and Florian Reibold (Initial Light Hierarchy). Additional help was provided by Stephan Bergmann, Emanuel Schrade, Alisa Jung, and Christoph Peters (made some noise).

2. mashie

mashie Mawd Gawd

Good to see a 20 year old game can run at playable FPS with ray tracing enabled.

Armenius, Viper16, F.E.A.R. and 24 others like this.
  3. Z3r0k3wl

Z3r0k3wl [H]Lite

Finally a reason to run out and buy a $1200-$1500 RTX 2018TI. :cool:

Marees, Armenius, Pitbull#2 and 9 others like this.
  4. Mega6

Mega6 [H]ard|Gawd

I'd like to see this side-by-side with conventional rasterisation for image quality comparison.

One of you RTX guys check it out.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  5. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 [H]Lite

Sooo to recap the currently available RTX games: Battlefield V, Quake 2

6. xp3nd4bl3

xp3nd4bl3 2[H]4U

Not to go off topic but it was 9 years between Quake 2 and Crysis... and it's been 13 years since Crysis...

I miss the days when every year there were dramatic leaps in games technology and firing up a 2 year old game was like "whoa this looks ancient".

Armenius, babochee, R_Type and 6 others like this.
  7. Dodge245

Dodge245 [H]Lite

Now can they run the textures through a AI upscaler please and repost the video?

Youn and mbelue like this.
  8. sc5mu93

sc5mu93 [H]Lite

watching the demo video makes me thankful for the progress in sound effects and sound processing more than GFX.

Armenius, Revdarian and vividshock like this.
  9. Legendary Gamer

Legendary Gamer Limp Gawd

Looks pretty sweet. Almost makes me want to fire it back up. Honestly, it should be included in the Nvidia games bundle. Lol ;)... "It just works". Finally, something actually "just works". Perhaps the next step is to create Ray Traced Space Invaders :cool:

Marees likes this.
  10. GoodBoy

GoodBoy [H]ard|Gawd

This actually sounds really cool. It's like the mods with HD textures for Doom, Quake, etc. Sounds like we can look forward to raytraced vintage goodness..

(wish I had an RTX card now...)

11. HockeyJon

HockeyJon [H]ard|Gawd

Can’t wait to play Quake 2 at 15fps!

KazeoHin and DukenukemX like this.
  12. GoodBoy

GoodBoy [H]ard|Gawd

Jensen's "It just works" refers to the lighting/reflections, a statement aimed at game dev's who normally have to do all kinds of tricks to get reflections to work in rasterized games... and even then, it doesn't work 100% right. A light source coming from a player can be hidden behind the wall, but still be reflected on the floor on the opposite side of the wall... giving away your position. That doesn't happen with raytracing. Example: star wars battlefront, light saber wielding hero is waiting near a door, and you can see the saber glow on this side of the wall.. crap like that "just works" correctly when raytraced, and the light from the lightsaber isn't visible on the floor. (Jensen should have much better articulated what he meant with the whole 'It Just Works' statement.)

homernoy, dgz and Ordeith like this.
  13. piscian18

piscian18 [H]ardForum Junkie

Im not savy on the Ray tracing but my understanding was it being some physx-esque fancy improvement to games was just a sales pitch, a way of getting users hyped for it. It's more that it's an improvement to the way graphics are generated right? It has the "potential" to make things look fancier, but thats not the primary intent right?

14. Mega6

Mega6 [H]ard|Gawd

This really isn't a ray tracing vs rasterization what is thread. Suffice to say TRUE ray tracing is superior to rasterization. The Nv implementation is a small sample of rays and not a true full on ray tracing implementation. A true 100% ray tracing image will give you photo-realistic images. That's just not possible real time on today's PC hardware.

EDIT: From the webpage - "Q2VKPT will cast at least 4 rays for each pixel"

Photorealistic ray tracing has >1000 rays per pixel - just to let you know where we are at.

Armenius and clockdogg like this.
  15. mkk

mkk [H]Lite

Look Ma', actual raytraycing!!

Marees, dgz and Parja like this.
  16. DukenukemX

DukenukemX [H]ardness Supreme

Finally a game that can run Ray-Tracing at 60fps 4k.

Armenius, deaedius and Parja like this.
  17. Slade

Slade 2[H]4U

THIS is a much better example of how ray tracing can change and make a game better looking. The illumination in the dark by the weapons and explosions are much better than on look shiny reflections EVERYWHERE.

The lightsaber jedi example is a good concept too. I can see your lightsaber glowing off the wall, come out from that corner. No you can't see me, I'm rasterized...

Marees, Armenius and mkk like this.
  18. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

I wonder if someone could port the quake 4 Raytraced to RTX.

Armenius and DukenukemX like this.
  19. magoo

magoo [H]ardForum Junkie

So I need a 1200 dollar RTX GPU to play Quake2 ???

No thanks. Shiny reflections on 20 year old 640 x 400 resolution.....yahoo.

20. bl4C3y3

bl4C3y3 n00b

i've skimmed through the original document, and while it mentions "hardware-accelerated raytracing", i didn't see any statement about a geforce RTX being needed ? (i might have missed it) ... will it run on other graphics cards ?
    in other words, will any form of "hardware-accelerated raytracing" be exclusive to RTX, or just slower on other cards ?

21. Mega6

Mega6 [H]ard|Gawd

This is compiled for RTX, it wont work without a card that supports that.

22. silentsod

silentsod n00b

This is cool.

Also they switched in a skeletal based animation system from the looks of it because the weapon model doesn't look like it's made of Jell-O.

Armenius likes this.
  23. mullet

mullet [H]ard|Gawd

That game, when it first came out was so awesome. It was such a great time for PC gaming. Quake 2 and Tie fighter really got me into PC building. I miss those times.

Armenius, jeffj7, CAD4466HK and 3 others like this.
  24. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

I guess you didn't watch the video...it runs just fine.

Admittedly, we didn't see any sections with a huge amount of action going on, so who knows later in the game.

25. GoodBoy

GoodBoy [H]ard|Gawd

You can run quake and quake 2 at full resolutions of todays' monitors.. no reason to play in 640x480, and that raytraced demo is most definitely not 640x480...

Marees and Armenius like this.
  26. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

Final Fantasy too. Whoa boy. It’s only been months and months and we have three games.

Quake 2 actually looks pretty good with RT.

Marees likes this.
  27. Delta555

Delta555 n00b

Hey, hey, hey....

They offer a "budget" RTX card as well...

28. fuzzylogik

fuzzylogik Gawd

For whatever reason... the older one (from almost a year ago?) that looked super grainy looked.... better? but maybe that's just me lol..

29. YeuEmMaiMai

YeuEmMaiMai Death Incarnate

that is actually quite good looking when you go back and compare it to the original experience...

Marees likes this.
  30. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

Okay that's really cool

hurleybird likes this.
  31. Tiberian

Tiberian DILLIGAFuck

Honestly I think it looked much better back in the good old days when I had a 3Dfx card and their GLide support.

But then I got a Matrox G400 and that to this day produced what I still consider to be the best-looking graphics output of any card that I've ever been able to use. When Unreal (and I do mean the original Unreal which just celebrated its 20th anniversary last year) was played on a G400, good Lord, it was like an orgasm for your eyes. :D

I can appreciate the amount of time and effort that has been put into producing these revised versions of the old classic games, but as far as this one is concerned I don't think that ray tracing is going to do anything for it.

R_Type and mbelue like this.
  32. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

This is the sort of thing that could actually get me to pick up an RTX card. (though I prefer to wait for the next iteration) If a bunch of my old favorites started supporting some decent RT implementations, I'd have no choice but to jump.

Say if, Borderlands, Doom 3, RAGE, Quake 3, Quake 4, one of the mid-range to late UTs, Riddick (fat chance on this one but...) were updated, I'd be foaming for a card. More-so than many new games. (though I am looking forward to Atomic Heart)

I don't think it really needs it based on what I've seen, but I wonder if Witchfire might get some RT features.

Armenius, mbelue and mullet like this.
  33. Legendary Gamer

Legendary Gamer Limp Gawd

I know, I was referring to the fact that the game was actually playable at fluid frame rates (without a ton of work from an AAA dev and Nvidia) and not the technical applications of how The RTX just works. I own one and don't really give a damn about the Ray tracing features. I use the hell out of the 30+% boost over a 1080Ti tho.

34. jardows

jardows [H]ard|Gawd

They say they use the Vulkan API, so it shouldn't require an RTX card per se. Probably won't perform well right now on AMD hardware, but with the right support, Vega 2 might do it alright.

Marees and IdiotInCharge like this.
  35. Mega6

Mega6 [H]ard|Gawd

the call that fails specifically mentions NV and ray tracing functionality. That would be RTX.

EDIT - add'l info

"VK_NV_ray_tracing"

VK - vulkan
    NV - Nvidia
    Ray_tracing - pretty self explanatory, RTX hook.

Feel free to try it yourself.

Marees likes this.
  36. NWRMidnight

NWRMidnight Limp Gawd

They have had the Raytracing mod going for about 2+ years now (originally called Pathtracing), and it was designed to run on both AMD and Nvidia. Yes, it will run better on Nvidia RTX series cards, but the original project was designed to run on both. So Jardows is correct. The calls you listed are for Nvidia only.

Armenius and Revdarian like this.
  37. Mega6

Mega6 [H]ard|Gawd

I was talking about the project under the article referenced specifically relating to NV and Raytracing.

38. jardows

jardows [H]ard|Gawd

Where are you seeing that? I was looking at the source files, and saw a lot of references to VKPT, but didn't find VK_MV_ray_tracing. Admitted, I wasn't looking too hard, but where that is specifically listed could give us further clues on the implementation.

As far as trying it myself - I don't think my R9 285 would do too well.

Now, I'd really love if someone could try a conversion like this to Descent!

39. Mega6

Mega6 [H]ard|Gawd

Here's the Vulkan comments.

https://github.com/KhronosGroup/Vulkan-Docs/blob/master/appendices/VK_NV_ray_tracing.txt

R_Type likes this.
  40. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

Well, I think it looks pretty sweet. Frankly, actual ray-tracing is going to be huge.

The first part of this demo looked amazing, especially dark areas - wow. But there's more to be desired overall. We need some kind of deeper level light source analysis tools so that awesome old games can look amazing again. Remember, lighting is the most important part. If that looks right, everything else is secondary

Armenius likes this.