PWM Fan adapter...thing...

Mr. Baz

2[H]4U
I'm having a total brain fart right now.

I have non-PWM case fans. I want to run them off of the motherboard headers (which are PWM capable) that way they are dynamic PWM and can change with cooling curves via software.

I need an adapter that plugs in to the motherboard header, uses the PWM signal from the motherboard, and gives you the modulated output I can plug my fans into.

What are these called!? :confused: :mad:

OP, you just sent me on a journey across the internet. I am half tempted to try some of these out just to see if I can do it. I might try it on my i3 530. Have you tried any of the listed ideas yet?

I haven't tried any of these. I'm just posting what I've found in my own search.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The Enthoo Primo. They actually have been announcing additional models that may already be available for pre-order so it's no longer safe for me to assume they only have one model.

Curious if it would be cheaper (in terms of overall cost and time involved) to simply replace all the fans with PWM models...

Curious if it would be cheaper (in terms of overall cost and time involved) to simply replace all the fans with PWM models...

This had crossed my mind, as well. Especially with the 20% off coupon places like Newegg regularly send out when applicable to the Arctic Cooling PWM models.

Baz, are the chassis fan headers on your motherboard 4pin or just the CPU fan header?

Or make a PWM circuit so that you can have the fan you want with PWM. Not all fans are created equal.
If you have a voltage-control fan so good that no PWM can match it, I'd love to know what it is :rolleyes:

I'm sure there's something comparable (maybe even-better) that's already PWM.

If you have a voltage-control fan so good that no PWM can match it, I'd love to know what it is :rolleyes:

I'm sure there's something comparable (maybe even-better) that's already PWM.

Performance isn't everything. Some fans are chosen for their aesthetics.

Aerocool's DS fans are not made in a PWM version (as of yet). Neither are their Sharks. And don't forget the Gentle Typhoons (though not chosen for aesthetics). I have yet to see official reviews showing fans that surpass Gentle Typhoon performance on a radiator, particularly mid-high FPI ones. Additionally, choices are extremely limited when looking at 140mm fans.

Aerocool's DS fans are not made in a PWM version (as of yet).
So pick a different multiframe fan? The DS is a bit distinct, but not overly so...

Neither are their Sharks.
So pick a different clear LED fan? The Sharks don't look like anything special. Plenty of fans look like them.

And don't forget the Gentle Typhoons (though not chosen for aesthetics). I have yet to see official reviews showing fans that surpass Gentle Typhoon performance on a radiator, particularly mid-high FPI ones.
Well, you said it yourself, you don't care about looks there.

And with gentle typhoons on a water cooling setup, silence isn't your number one concern either...

I'm seriously doubtful that there's no PWM fan that could fill the gap, there.

Additionally, choices are extremely limited when looking at 140mm fans.
140mm fans suck, in general. I've tried a good number of them and they all still have weird issues ranging from buzz, to ticking, to high spin-up voltage, etc. They also tend to have a larger dead-zone in the middle due to increased hub size, which can make them less effective when mounted flush against heatsinks.

SPCR has found that most 140mm fans have trouble competing with 120mm fans on noise/CFM because the hub noise is so much worse on the 140mm fans. The 140mm fans they've tested only really win on absolute CFM at high speed (because they can move more air at max-RPM).

Back