PWL "Clicking" annoying sounds in WD drives - Ultrastars too...?!

Moratorium

n00b
Hello

So im in a search for a new HDD and almost bought WD Gold 10 TB (WD Gold DC HA750 10TB, WD102KRYZ ).

But then i found out reading the internet that there appears to be this "problem" (feature :) ) of rather annoying (loud?) "clicking" sound from the HDD, every 5 seconds or whatever...
Its a feature called "Preventative Wear Leveling" (PWL)

My question are:

1) Does the "WD Ultrastar 10TB HC330" do it too...? ( i know they are SUPPOSED to be somewhat "same" drives, but they probably arent)... do they do it too...?

2) Do almost all 8-10TB + WD newer HDDs do it...?

3) Is it really that annoying and loud...? I read that you can even feel the "click" if you have a hand on top of your PC case (or just probably anywhere on the PC case - uff... If true, then im not sure if its that "healthy" for other HDDs in close proximity...)... So is it really that annoying and loud...? Can you "feel it"? (wont it impact the life of other HDDs in my pc case?)

4) I read it does it only when the HDD is iddle, when its not iddle (and the drive is "doing something-reading/writting"), it doesnt do it...? (correct?)

5) Can you turn it off...?

6) Drives of other brands (Toshiba for example "Toshiba 16TB, MG08ACA16TE" ) dont have this "feature" (noise)?

I have WD drives from 8TB to 14TB and they all act the same. Unlike the old WD "Green" models, there is no effort made to minimize the seek noise. Seeks are quite noisy, whether they are from actively using the drive or the autonomous wear leveling seeks you're talking about.

By default the heads park after 5 minutes of inactivity, and once that happens there's no need for wear leveling, so that noise stops until something accesses the drive.

I have WD drives from 8TB to 14TB and they all act the same. Unlike the old WD "Green" models, there is no effort made to minimize the seek noise. Seeks are quite noisy, whether they are from actively using the drive or the autonomous wear leveling seeks you're talking about.

By default the heads park after 5 minutes of inactivity, and once that happens there's no need for wear leveling, so that noise stops until something accesses the drive.

So "iddle" doesnt mean the same as "heads parked"...? Cause internet says that the noise is made in iddle only basically, you are saying that once the heads are parked, no clicking sounds appear (so iddle does NOT mean "head parked" (thats totally new info to me if true...?))

Thanks

So all your WD drives 8TB to 14TB do actually make these PWL clicking noises...? Are they that loud and annoying as people say they are...? And they completelly stopped after 5 minute of drive innactivity...?

(thank you

Back