Putting Thermal Paste on a 6800 GT

Godmachine

[H]F Junkie
Wow what a difference some paste makes . I took off the thermal pad on my heatsink ( for my Evga 6800 GT) and put on some AS5 ..dropped my core temp 10C :eek: and i got my overclock from 420 to 435! so not bad. Also the heatsink on the 6800 GT is wimpy .. i wish was atleast made from copper . I can't wait for some real aftermarket GPU coolers to come out for the 6800 series cards.

my bfg came with thermal paste but i put as5 on it anyway. temp dropped only by 1C. i guess bfg used some good stuff

I think the BFGs already come with that thermal paste.

And I hear VGA is making one for the 6800s.

BFG's use AS5 so you don't have to bother with it yourself.

i'm going to get a VGA Silencer in a month or so though.

Jerry1978 said:
BFG's use AS5 so you don't have to bother with it yourself.

i'm going to get a VGA Silencer in a month or so though.

Will a VGA silencer fit on a 6800? I thought they were ATI-only...

Godmachine said:
Wow what a difference some paste makes . I took off the thermal pad on my heatsink ( for my Evga 6800 GT) and put on some AS5 ..dropped my core temp 10C :eek: and i got my overclock from 420 to 435! so not bad. Also the heatsink on the 6800 GT is wimpy .. i wish was atleast made from copper . I can't wait for some real aftermarket GPU coolers to come out for the 6800 series cards.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=138&code=013

godmachine, I just got my eVga 6800GT last night. I see all the thermal pads they are using for the memory and GPU. I Oc'd to 420/1150 no problem. Temps are 79C with the realtime HDR demo that everyone is using. I have seem some complain about high 80's, low 90's, so 79c isn't as bad.

How did you measure your temps? There has to be 13+ screws to get this thing aparts. any snags or pretty easy?

daddybigwords said:
Sniper are you sure that will fit? Has anyone tried it?

I have one of the C rev single heat pipe versoins on my FX 5900, lemme check the hole config on it but I think it will fit just fine, theres 4 holes right around the GPU core.

Edit: yeah it should fit just fine. I could pop the C rev single pipe versoin off my 5900 right now if I wanted to and mount it on the new card. I want the twin pipe on there tho.

Back