Putting Fans in an entertainment center?

bradyapba

Gawd
I was just curious if anyone had done this. We bought a new entertainment center, and now the cable box sits inside a closed door... (previously it just sat on top on the small entertainment center)

So for some reason I open the glass door to where the cable box is, and holy CRAP its hot in there, the cabl box is throwing some serious heat....

So being the modde r I am, im thinking.. i can put some fans in there..

I was wondering if anyone else has tried this, was it successful in cooling?

And what fans did you? Typical fnas you would plug into an outlet, or a modded PC fan of some sort?

Any advice would be great!

Depending on how hot it gets It might be a pretty good Idea. I would probably starts with some vent holes and see how that helps. If that's not enough I'd add some active cooling.

Ya, i'd go with Warlord's advice and try the convection cooling method first. Drill a few small/med sized holes at the back/bottom of the cabinet to let cool air in, then drill some more holes at the back/top of the cabinet to exhaust the hot air. You can test the temps before and after you drill to see how much of a difference it makes.

If that method doesn't help much then you could always try adding a single intake fan over the bottom holes you had drilled. With the positive air pressure the hot air will find places to leak out, and it'll keep you from having to use two fans (2 fans = louder). You could use a 12v DC walwart to power the fan. 12vdc 800ma ought to be enough for at least 2 PC-type fans, though you'll have to cut the tip off and splice the wires accordingly. Just be sure to set it all up safely and securely, especially if you have kids and pets poking around...

Back