Putting CFW on your PSP Slim - Having trouble figuring it out? Look inside for info

umm...I started this thread...so....I'm running CFW 3.90 m33-3...like you are ;) (or I hope you are)

Its a bug with 3.90 firmware....they dont like running eboots very much...especially PSX eboots....which is why i use popsloader with 3.71 emulation....anything for final fantasy 7 :p

Sorry guys, was kind of away for a couple of days for stuff with work, and another certification test (that makes 5 since February), which is sweet, but it's draining. Anyways, kfc469, I have yet to try out anything that you've linked so for. Sorry about that, just haven't had time. I am very interested to see the possbilities with the front-ending application for the EMU's, it sounds very interesting. I will definately make sure to check it out.

I am on a trip (VMWare VCP Certification course...woot...San Francisco!) all next week guys, so I may or not be available to answer questions and/or update the thread. This weekend I've got a bunch of stuff to do around the house before going out of town (of course).

Cat1yst - I did have some issues with the EBOOTs on 3.90m33-3 initially, but I attributed it to using an out of date version of PopStationGUI. I think I was initially on 1.3 or something. After I went to Beta 3, I noticed that after the copnversion was finished (from ISO to EBOOT, that is), there was not a second file in the output folder. I can't remember the file extension, but I want to say it was a .THB, or .TMB, something like that. I was under the impression that the application created this as a screenshot image for the XMB interface, so that it was easier to determine what EBOOT you were selecting. This has since been rolled into the EBOOT itself, and the second file is no longer created. Can you confirm what version of ISO to EBOOT converter you used for FFVII? I'd like to know specifically if it was PopStationGUI, and if so, what version. If there's a known compatibility issue with 3.90m33-3, I would like to append the "Convert PSX to PSP" section by listing the fix, and detailed information to assist others. Please get back to me when you can. I wish that I could reproduce your issue, but I have had no compatibility issues since going to PopStationGUI 3 beta. I just had a thought, FFVII is a multi-disc game, correct? Is it possible that you did not encode the EBOOTS with the same game ID's for all discs? Just guessing, I don't know. Let me know when ever you can.

kfc469 - awesome contribution for a newcomer to the forums, thank you. I will make sure to personally check out the information that you have posted and get back to you.

Cat1yst - keep it coming man, I learn through stuff like the compatibility issues that you posted, which I cannot recreate. I'd love to add the info to the guide, just need some details.

Thanks guys!

One more thing. I have a ton of emulators, so i went searching for a way to bundle them all together a while ago, and found this: http://rapidshare.com/files/101077398/Emu_Loader.rar.html (about 45mb). It's just an app that you launch and then it lists out all of your emulators so they don't junk up your program list. Here's the link for more info on it: http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,4993.0.html and here's a screenshot:
snap0019wt2.png
I have personally used this for around 2 months now a love it. All the emulators are included in the download (includes Quake and Doom) as well. To put in your roms, just go into the folder for the pack, find the emulator you want, and put them in the proper ROM or GAME folder. All of the folder names match the name that comes up in the gray box on the right of the screenshot whenever you scroll to the emulator for a particular system. Enjoy.

I've had this for a week now and it's pretty decent. The biggest gripe I have with it is that no matter what you do, you can't replace the emulators in the folders with newer versions. I've tried many different ways of doing so, and they all result in an error. However, most of the programs are up to date anyways so it's not a huge deal.

A nice program I found this morning as an alternative to the official internet radio module:

http://pspupdates.qj.net/FreeRadio-...reeRadio-skin-set-to-default/pg/49/aid/117673

You can customize the shoutcast list with any station you would like and it also allows the same with RSS feeds.

I've had this for a week now and it's pretty decent. The biggest gripe I have with it is that no matter what you do, you can't replace the emulators in the folders with newer versions. I've tried many different ways of doing so, and they all result in an error. However, most of the programs are up to date anyways so it's not a huge deal.

I haven't tried this with any of the emulators, but I did it with Doom. Just be sure that the name of the new version is the exact same as the older version (don't change the main folder name either). I guess it depends on how the emulators are coded, but most of the shouldnt care if you change their name

Sorry if I missed this, but will soft-modded fat pandora batteries work in the psp slim? I'm thinking of just buying a used battery, softmodding it with my fat psp and then when I get the slim use the fat pandora on it.

wow i completely misread the posts above me. disregard this post...it's early here ;)

Can someone help a noob out?

I just got my PSP slim earlier in the week and want to bring emulation and homebrew to it. How can I do this? I don't want to do anything that will void the warranty or force me to open the actual PSP casing (is there any other safe way of doing this)?

There isn't any need to open the case, but im pretty sure that modding the PSP in any way will void that warranty. To mod it without opening anything, you will need a Pandora's battery. Just look at the first few posts of this thread or google how to make or get a hold of them. getting the battery is really the hardest part of the whole process.

+1 kfc469, to z(+)diac- all the information you need is in post#1

There isn't any need to open the case, but im pretty sure that modding the PSP in any way will void that warranty. To mod it without opening anything, you will need a Pandora's battery. Just look at the first few posts of this thread or google how to make or get a hold of them. getting the battery is really the hardest part of the whole process.

So let me get this right. I basically need to buy another battery, mod it, and use it in order to be able to download Homebrew and emulators to my PSP?

I always thought (at least when I had my Fat PSP) that all you had to do was download a program and access it via software...

To the first section of your question- it is not required that you but an entirely separate battery to do the mod, however, it is the recommended method. If you accidentally detonate the battery you are trying to mod, or make any other of a number of mistakes, you will need a second battery anyway. That being said, it is entirely possible to cut a trace on the pcb of the battery and revert it back by filling in the cut section of the trace once the mod is complete. Re-read the battery mod section of the guide for more detailed information.

To the second part- with the slims, there's no way to flash the battery's eeprom with software to put the psp into "service mode". Only the fat batteries can do this. The slim batteries have no eeprom in them, so the only alternative is a hard-mod on the battery.

so I get back to the regular grind at work today, and as I am having my morning coffeee, and browsing the forums, I see that Dark_Alex has release CFW 4.01 m33 and then went ahead and did update 2 (m33-2) for the new level of CFW. I will have to test it out, and let you guys know the deal, and update the guide information as needed. I fyou guys get the chance to check it out before I do, please let me know of your experiences, program compatibilities, etc.

I am updating to the new CFW version right now. Anyone else pulled the trigger? If I get the gumption, I will update the guide to allow for CFW 4.01m33-2 right from the go. For now, all current directions still apply, you will just get a different version of CFW (not 3.90 m33-3) when you do the system update feature. You will go right from 3.90m33 to 4.01 m33-2. I will add a note about this to the first post, for the newcomers.

Anyone else tried it? I'd be interested to know your take, and what you find in it.

thanks for the guide OP. i just purchased a psp slim on ebay. looking forward to using this guide to flash my psp with DA's cfw. i hope the psp slim screen doesnt "ghost" as much as the fat version.

thanks for the guide OP. i just purchased a psp slim on ebay. looking forward to using this guide to flash my psp with DA's cfw. i hope the psp slim screen doesnt "ghost" as much as the fat version.

You're welcome! I hope all goes well for you with the CFW load. Don't forget to go all the way to the newest FW revision (just keep going to system update until it says there aren't anymore). I personally have not experienced any ghosting so far in movies, or games.

I need to get my hands on a tool battery and memory card. Anyone know any good sources?

tool battery = see link in post #1 for ebay listings. Memory card = search the forums. I do not recommend buying these from ebay, you'll likely end up with a fake. See the guide information on finding out if you get a fake. SanDisk has starting making MS Pro Duo's in relatively large quantity now, and you can find an occassional deal on these.

tool battery = see link in post #1 for ebay listings. Memory card = search the forums. I do not recommend buying these from ebay, you'll likely end up with a fake. See the guide information on finding out if you get a fake. SanDisk has starting making MS Pro Duo's in relatively large quantity now, and you can find an occassional deal on these.

thx for the post, but with that said, is it everyone first thought to think a poster is a moron? There have not been any tool batterys on ebay for at least a week. I guess I should have been more clear that I needed other sources.

I need a source for a tool battery and modded memory card, thats what I am looking for. I have a need to repair two bricked PSP units. There are none on ebay, and alot of the retailers on the net look pretty shady. Anyone have any of these guys they have done business with before? I would make a set myself, but I do not have access to a mod'ed psp to do so.

keep alive post...which is in a sticky...which is useless. Just checking in, haven't seen/heard anything since the OS update. Anyone? Bueller...Bueller...?

I've been using the new Dark_Alex firmware(4.01 m33-2) for a few weeks now and so far everything has been running flawlessly. All my emulators work(SNES and NES) as well as all the homebrew that I have tried.

In addition, I found a great new Magic Memory Stick maker that is extremely fast and easy to use. It's not mine so all the credit goes to the Catb50 team over at pspmod.com.

http://www.4shared.com/file/3635178...Creator_v20_LITE.html?dirPwdVerified=ac9bf971

Original Post:http://www.pspmod.com/forums/psp-so...agic-memory-stick-creator-v2-0-full-lite.html

I've been using the new Dark_Alex firmware(4.01 m33-2) for a few weeks now and so far everything has been running flawlessly. All my emulators work(SNES and NES) as well as all the homebrew that I have tried.

In addition, I found a great new Magic Memory Stick maker that is extremely fast and easy to use. It's not mine so all the credit goes to the Catb50 team over at pspmod.com.

http://www.4shared.com/file/3635178...Creator_v20_LITE.html?dirPwdVerified=ac9bf971

Original Post:http://www.pspmod.com/forums/psp-so...agic-memory-stick-creator-v2-0-full-lite.html

Did this thread assist you in getting CFW on your PSP? If so, I'll add you to the list.

I haven thouched my psp in awhile but im starting to mess with it agian. Any good cases out right now that will fit a psp slim with extended battery?

This is the one I have: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...+case&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1205245968465

Its a little large and bulky, but it will really protect your psp. I've dropped it, sat on it, everything and its always fine. It has a screen protector that goes over the screen when it's in its case. It also has slots for two disks and two extra memory cards as well which is very nice. The memory card storage comes in handy for me since I have two cards to store all my homebrew on. It is made for both the slim and fat PSP's so it should fit your slim with the battery.

Hey guys I need some help. I had a 2.60 fat PSP and was successfully able to downgrade to 1.50 using the 2.71 generic downgrader. Next I went ahead and created the required memory stick and Pandora battery. I'm not sure which software I used but it's the one with the 4 steps (is it the newbie installer on the frontpage?) and went through all the steps and did not notice any errors or anything out of the ordinary. So I restarted my PSP and went ahead and ran the Pandora battery creator. I backed up my battery and then ran the program again to turn the battery into service mode.

Now here's where I am stuck and a little frustrated. I have the memory stick in the PSP and took put the battery in. The green power light comes on but I have no menu or anything just a dark black screen with no sign of life. I also tried holding the left shoulder button L before I put the battery in and it's still the same result.

I lost the wall charger and am using a usb splitter cable to charge the PSP and am unable to even power it on normally without the battery. It lights up for about 1-3 seconds and then dies.

All this work and I felt so close like I was almost there but have run into this annoying roadblock and am asking this wonderful community for any suggestions to get me to CFW goodness. Thanks for any help that may come my way.

Yes will now I realize the error of my ways and wish I could take it back. The PSP modding scene is so convuled it's so hard to find info. There's too much information and too much outdated information.

Anyways I assume that since I only messed with the battery then the actual PSP is fine and still at 1.5 and that I can't boot it because I don't have a wall charger and the usb power is not enough to start it up. That still doesn't answer why my Pandora isn't working correctly as I get no life from the screen just the green power button lighting up.

I got a wall charger from gamestop and was able to boot up the PSP fine and went ahead and installed 3.52 m33 from 1.50. It took a while but it went smoothly and am not on cfw. I just gotta figure out how to go from 3.52 m33 up to 4.01 mee.....

All is well in PSPland as I'm now running 4.01 m33-2. It seemed like all my problems were caused by stuff not working correctly under Vista as I couldn't get the memory stick to work right. I was able to turn my battery back to normal and go from there. So you might want to put in something about using XP to be safe.

god the official psp-3000 looks nice..
it's sure to have the unholy motherboard that can't be hacked though >.>

god the official psp-3000 looks nice..
it's sure to have the unholy motherboard that can't be hacked though >.>

Please, Nothing is hack-proof, everything will eventually be hacked, and yes the psp-3000 does look nice but i hope it comes in White so it can match my psp-2000

All is well in PSPland as I'm now running 4.01 m33-2. It seemed like all my problems were caused by stuff not working correctly under Vista as I couldn't get the memory stick to work right. I was able to turn my battery back to normal and go from there. So you might want to put in something about using XP to be safe.

I am pretty sure that I made mention of creating the MMS in XP, and not in Vista, due to file system differences in making the MMS, but I will double check. Glad to hear you got it all worked out. I try to monitor this thread regularly, but I have been hanging out a lot in HTPC and Storage systems lately. :rolleyes:

Fell free to PM me if the thread appears to not be getting someone some information, I'll do my best to help.

tried to play Phantasy Star Portable but couldn't figure out how to get started due it being in Japanties, it is also the first game to tell me to upgrade before using so I used dark alex's auto update to go from 3.71 to like 4.01 or what ever the newest version is.

Other than that my psp has been lonely.

Back