Putting CFW on your PSP Slim - Having trouble figuring it out? Look inside for info

Well I have a small (unrelated) update: I seem to have lost my PSP's AC charger...and the battery died. I had just set up a streaming VM and was testing it out by showing my 4 year old daughter that I could watch Spongebob on the PSP. Right as I was about to gloat...black screen. Charge over USB only works if you can boot the damned thing to set it to USB mode, right? I've even tried all of my AC>USB adapters, and plugging it into my PS3...no dice.

Anyone know, is there a way around buying the standalone battery charger or an AC adapter? If I knew someone else with a PSP I'd just borrow theirs to get a small charge then USB charge it. For the life of me, I have no idea where it is. I haven't seen the damned thing in months as I have been USB charging it when I go on trips (never leave home without my (barely) sub 20lb. laptop. :)

Well I have a small (unrelated) update: I seem to have lost my PSP's AC charger...and the battery died. I had just set up a streaming VM and was testing it out by showing my 4 year old daughter that I could watch Spongebob on the PSP. Right as I was about to gloat...black screen. Charge over USB only works if you can boot the damned thing to set it to USB mode, right? I've even tried all of my AC>USB adapters, and plugging it into my PS3...no dice.

Anyone know, is there a way around buying the standalone battery charger or an AC adapter? If I knew someone else with a PSP I'd just borrow theirs to get a small charge then USB charge it. For the life of me, I have no idea where it is. I haven't seen the damned thing in months as I have been USB charging it when I go on trips (never leave home without my (barely) sub 20lb. laptop. :)

Had the same problem as you a few posts above and couldn't boot the damn thing through usb power so I had to get a cheap ac adapter from gamestop. It was about 8 bucks for a used one and 15 bucks new and not the official Sony power adapter.

saw the original SONY one at the store the other day, just couldn't bring myself to spend $20...sigh. I will probably regret that decision if I go on another trip before replacing the adapter.

do you have a fat psp??? if so, their are to metal pads on the bottom next to the power plug, that are connected to the power plug, looking at my psp adaptor it outputs at 5v , so all you really have to do is make the unit see 5v long enought to boot it and put it on usb.. dc is dc, so polairty matters, but source dose not, mickey moused batterys ( 4 aa's in series will get you 6v, i doubt the unit will care to much about the extra 1 volt, if your skiddish about it, go with 3 aa's for 4.5v) (side note, if you have rechargable nicads laying around, they run at 1.2v instead of 1.5 so 4x1.2 =4.8v) in a battery holder (Or if thats to fancy a few pieces of wire and a bunch of electrical tape.) again, i doubt the unit will care to much about a slight over/under voltage as long as its kept short.

i cant seem to find info on which pad connect to center pin, and cant find my multimeter to test with.. regardless, if you have a multi meter, you can test continuity between pad and center pin once you have that, center pin is positive..... if you dont have a fat.. well... center pin is positive ;)

Im postitive he has a slim, since he started this thread on SLIM psp, just an observation :p

I just bought the limited edition crisis core psp (used) here in japan. I was wondering if I would be able to put the CFW on this?

yea, im pretty sure you'd have no problem whatsoever , but maybe check it out just in case

I just bought the limited edition crisis core psp (used) here in japan. I was wondering if I would be able to put the CFW on this?

I'll flash it for ya! I might have to keep it for "testing" for an extra week though. :D You shouldn't have any problems.

they sell batterys for real cheap on ebay, and they have like 2x the power as normal ones

I just bought the Datel tool battery and got it in today, have it charging right now. Almost charged for one hour. In the system info under battery info it still says 0% charged. Should it be reading the proper charge level? Instructions say to charge it for one hour, just curious if it should read the charge level right?

we have another successful flash to CFW everyone. kilik64 PM'd me and said that he was running CFW, and he added in a thank you, which was nice. Good to see this thread is still helping people out.

I just bought the Datel tool battery and got it in today, have it charging right now. Almost charged for one hour. In the system info under battery info it still says 0% charged. Should it be reading the proper charge level? Instructions say to charge it for one hour, just curious if it should read the charge level right?

I think it doesnt read it as a reg battery since its a tool battery. BUT id double check and make sure...

Great thread! Running 4.01 m33-2. Ended up bricking the battery trying to solder the leg back on but no big deal...was well worth it to get the CFW running. Now just playing with the psp plugged into the wall until I can buy a new battery. Been wanting to get one of the extended ones anyway.

Again, great thread. Big thanks to everyone who contributed!

Hey glad you got it running! I did the exact same thing with my battery, but it was worth it!

I'm having difficulty getting the snes and sega gen emu's working though. When I try to start up either of them it gives me an error message like "game cannot be started"

are you sure that you have the files extracted in the proper directories? Geezz...that reminds me, I still have yet to replace my charger...damnit.

I put them in the PSP\GAME folder. I tried the nes and gba and they work great, just the snes and gen don't for some reason.

I noticed in the screenshot you posted on the first page that your gen folder is titled "DGEN_170_Lite" did you rename it to that? The one I have says "dgen_psp_170"...it also doesn't have any other folders for roms and saves and stuff in it, just the eboot, the readme, adhoc readme and a few png image files. Does that sound right?

I finally got around to picking up another PSP AC adapter. only to find that my PSP is not recognizing that there's power to the DC plug present. Luckily, my Tool battery still had a charge on it, so I know the PSP isn't totally dead, but my extended battery is, and it won't charge over the DC plug.

I will be calling Sony to request a hardware warranty repair on Monday. Has anyone else done this yet?

For the love of God don't use SuperC for converting DVD video to the PSP. I've sampled about 20 odd programs for this purpose (incl. SUPER) and the absolute best program out there at the moment is TMPGenc XPress 4.0. There's a trial version available here and you can get the retail version if you are a little "resourceful".

This program is the best. You can rip directly from a DVD, edit the video, add subtitles directly from the DVD, apply filters to the video and audio, produce a thumbnail (of your choosing) for easy identification in the PSP XMB, uses MainConcepts video codecs for optimal quality, supports CUDA for faster encoding, is optimized for multithreaded CPU's, allows you to join multiple clips (such as episodes) into a single file and has probably the most comprehensive help document known to man.

It has a PSP preset setting, but with some tweaking you can get even better quality at smaller files sizes. To make it easy, I've uploaded a very tweaked, high quality (but also small file size) preset for both 4:3 content and 16:9 content.

Try this program out. You will not be disappointed I assure you.

I'll have to get my damned PSP RMA'd first, but it sounds promising. I like SUPER, although admittedly, it's overly complicated for most tasks. Too bad my damned PSP's DC jack went out.

Can't believe this thread is still running sabregen. Great job man. Well since my last visit here, i've done this with about 4 PSP's due to folks wanting to play some SNES on the go. I've since sold my PSP as i didn't play it much...but i just bought another one. Its hell to try to find a 2000 model, but newegg.com still has them. :) None of my local stores have them.

Actually I tried Craigslist, and no lie all it pulled in my area was this one guy who posted 30 times about how he could mod a psp and he was selling the backups for $5 each. LAME! I really wish folks would use the modding of the PSP for homebrew instead of an easy out for piracy.

Can't believe this thread is still running sabregen. Great job man. Well since my last visit here, i've done this with about 4 PSP's due to folks wanting to play some SNES on the go. I've since sold my PSP as i didn't play it much...but i just bought another one. Its hell to try to find a 2000 model, but newegg.com still has them. :) None of my local stores have them.

Glad you're still dropping in on it. I have received an RMA box for my PSP< but haven't had time to send it off, just yet. It's becoming increasingly important that I do this, though, as I just got a PS3 for my BD...and I want to play with the toys.

As far as PSP3000 model CFW loads, all I keep hearing is that no one's done it yet. I don't know if Dark_Alex is still in the scene or not, but if he's is, I'd put my money on him over all others.

I went to look in Gamestop last night for a PSP sleeve and when I walked in they had a used (looked new!) Sony wall charger for $7. I looked past it as it wasn't what i was in there for and when I pushed it aside i noticed it had the extended life battery attached to it. I immediatly grabbed it and took it up there. The guy behind the counter said he had to give it to me for that price as it was all in the bag and the price was already on there. So i scored a $35 Wall charger and $50 Extended life battery for $7....:)

HAR! Nope, sorry guys. My wife actually got mad that I bought it but when I explained that I got $85 worth of stuff for $7 she backed off. : ) I may upload a pic just to make everyone jealous! :) HAHA!

Well you all get to laugh and point now...my new PSP arrived yesterday and after trying to get the CFW on there for 4 hours I find out that my PSP is equiped with the new TA-88 v3 motherboard and as of yet it is UNHACKABLE!

I'm gonna go cry in the corner now....

I just wanted to give thanks to the author of this article. By the time I found this article, I had already put CFW on numerous PSP's, including 3 of mine. However, I directed a few people at my school to this and within 2 weeks, half of my graduating class had bought and modded a PSP.
So thanks sabregen.

Also if someone wants/needs a PSP-2000, I no longer want mine so send me a PM.

Glad this thread continues to serve. Your post has reminded me that I still haven't RMA'd my PSP...I should really do that.

ok I actually have a question about putting custom firmware on my fat PSP. I had the 3.52m33 CFW on it but not the -3 or -4 so I could not just update it the easy way. I have my old "magic mem stick" and my jig kick battery but I cannot remember how to do it now. I put the mem stick and batt in and it downgraded me to 1.5. I cannot find the proper walk thrus anymore and I don't know where to get the files for download. I have the m33 5.0 stuff and the official files but I cannot install them since I am drawing a complete blank. any and all help would be greatly appreciated

Fat's aren't my area of expertise, at all. If it's anything like the Slims though, you simply need to reformat the MemStick with the CFW load, and tools, and run the file from the ISO section. Oof-dah, I wish I could be of more help.

ok I finnally got team mm33 5.00-6 installed on my PSP Phat. For some reason though my Genesis emulator (Degen) no longer works I downloaded the newest version 1.7 and still no luck I keep getting the game could not be started error (80020148) I did a google search and it told me to go into the recovery menu and change the kernal to 1.5 and this did nothing as well. Is there another Genesis emulator that you guys use?

I have not done anything with my PSP phat in a while but I believe you have to install the 1.5 kernel for 5.00 M33-6, then you change it in the recovery menu to 1.5.

Back