Putting CFW on your PSP Slim - Having trouble figuring it out? Look inside for info

^^ Very nice. I did not know that. I just read a lot about fake duo's being sold.

I just bought a high speed 4gig from the above link, and two batteries. We'll see how it goes. Paid via paypal, so I should be ok even if they turn out to be fake. All reports show that they are real though. Goes to show how much cheaper this stuff is in the Orients.

Anyone else tested theirs? Also, I am planning on addition a reserved space to post #2 for a chart on who has successfully used this guide, in any capacity to get cfw loaded on any version of psp, or for those that may have found their memory stick pro duos to be genuine or fake using the guide. I think everyone would agree that seeing a list of successful converts from sony oem firmware to cfw, or discovering that their memory stick pros were fake would add credibility to the thread for someone that is just watching on, and maybe not asking questions that they have on a particular issue. Leep an eye on the first page for updates in the next few days. If you have used any of this information, there will be guidelines for submitting info to be included in the chart. Thanks to all that are participating here. I just wanted to see if I could help others with the same issue.

In general, how big is the ISO for a PS1 game? Are the ISOs going to be the same size as the CD, or are they compressed when you rip/convert them?

In general, how big is the ISO for a PS1 game? Are the ISOs going to be the same size as the CD, or are they compressed when you rip/convert them?

Yep same size as the CD, some people convert them to like cso or something like that. I have 4X4gig cards so I don't really care about the size.

I am still interested to know if anyone was able to use the information that I posted on Memory Sticks to determine if theirs was fake or not.

awesome guide. I hacked mine the first day i got it. All i need now is a good 8giger. Also for some reason my psp cant connect to my wep network(invalid key error ..im typing it correctly).

So, to help a complete tard (me), where might I find a complete/comprehensive guide on ripping PS1 games for use on my slim? Try as I might, I cannot seem to find a step by step guide for tards and slow/old people.

Thanks for any help and advice!

Sabregen,
I note that in your first post you mention using Portable VNC & PSP SSH.

I'm looking for an app or two which will allow me to remotely access my PC (and therefore my media) from my PSP.

Do the apps you mention allow this?
And if they do, are they able to "wake" my PC from sleep?

TIA!

Sabregen,
I note that in your first post you mention using Portable VNC & PSP SSH.

I'm looking for an app or two which will allow me to remotely access my PC (and therefore my media) from my PSP.

Do the apps you mention allow this?
And if they do, are they able to "wake" my PC from sleep?

TIA!

Well, it's going to be a yes/no kind of scenario for you, it sounds like. PortableVNC MIGHT wake your machine upon incoming connection, but only if you have all of your WoL (wake on LAN) stuff already setup. Some NICs and other components have issues with WoL, so you'd have to try that for yourself. Just install TightVNC on the machine that you want to control, and use PortableVNC on your PSP to get to the machine. You'll have access to MANAGE your media, but not to stream it to the PSP, and VNC won't allow you to see video overlay, or forward the audio from the host to your PSP. So, long story short, you'll be able to remotely control your PC, and you could even open the files, or play them, but you won't be able to see them on the PSP's screen. To stream video to the PSP, I use PimP Streamer. MP3s can be streamed by setting up a ShoutCAST server.

Hope that helped, and that I didn't misinterpret the question.

So, to help a complete tard (me), where might I find a complete/comprehensive guide on ripping PS1 games for use on my slim? Try as I might, I cannot seem to find a step by step guide for tards and slow/old people.

Thanks for any help and advice!

Here's a shortie:
1.) Download IsoBuster, and PopStation GUI 3 beta - install both.
2.) Insert PSX game into CD-ROM drive, and launch IsoBuster
3.) Click "Remind me later" on annoying IsoBuster screens
4.) When IsoBuster launches, you should see the structure of the disc ion the left-hand pane.
5) Right-Click on the "Session 1" line and select the line that says "Extract RAW Data (xxxx bytes/block) (*.bin, *.iso)"
6) A Browse Window will appear. It's asking you where to save the ISO. Pick a location that you'll remember.
7) IsoBuster will now give you a progress bar while the extraction is happening.
8.) When IsoBuster is done making the compressed image file at the location that you told it, go ahead and close IsoBuster.
9.) Launch PopStation GUI 3 beta
10.) Upon opening, you will see that the first dialogue box asks for the PSX image file. Hit the browse button and point it to the ISO or BIN file that was just created in the IsoBuster program.
11.) Once you give it the file, you should see all of the other previsouly blank dialogue boxes on the menu populate.
12.) You can customize load screens, etc for the game if you wish, under the "Customize EBOOT (+)" section, but I'm not going to cover that here.
13.) Hit the "GO" button at the bottom of PopStation GUI.
14.) PopStation GUI will dump the EBOOT.PBP file into the directory of your ISO/BIN file, and then ask you if you want to transfer it to you PSP.
15.) You can either allow PopStation to transfer the file for you over USB, by putting you PSP into USB mode, or you can tell it no, and place the file yourself.
16.) EBOOT.PBP files should go inside of: root>PSP>GAME>(grant your eboot a game folder, and place the .PBP file inside).

All Done!

So, how do multi-disc games work? Do I make an image file for each disc, or do I make one big image file for all discs?

edit: one more thing... I take it that if ISO buster makes multiple .bin files from a disc, I am supposed to use the biggest one..?

Good question. If I get some time, I will see what I can dig up. I have read about it, and know that it can be done with only slight modifications to the process above, but I can't recall what the exact process is for multi- disc games. You might try google, and posting results, if you find it before I do. I will append the guide info and give you credit, after it is confirmed to be a viable solution.

I think I found m answer by messing around with PsGUI. If you click the "Change game save and game ID" button, it tells you to make sure you are using the same game/save info across multi-disc images...

But I do have one more silly question... Is it possible to edit the eboots after they have been made? I need to edit the load pictures so I can tell the difference between disc 1 and disc 2 for Lunar:SSSC.

there's an "extract ISO from EBOOT" button in PopStationGui. It will restore the BIN.ISO file from the EBOOT, then you can modify it and re-convert to PBP file.

..looks like it. Are we going to be re-stickied?

don't know. I PM'd one of the mods asking what was up. wonder if it has anything to do with Kyle's mandate about GTA 4 spoiler threads? Maybe he took the seat, hopefully, temporarily? the other Sticky thread is also no longer stickied...interesting.

still no word on why the two stickies (including this one) got bumped upon GTA4's release. Anyone have an idea?

Well, in other news...

Is there an N64 emulator that runs roms at full speed? I am trying daedalus, but it doesn't work so well...

Well, in other news...

Is there an N64 emulator that runs roms at full speed? I am trying daedalus, but it doesn't work so well...

Daedalus just really doesn't work well...period, ATM. It's on beta build 14 or something like that. Unfortunately, I have found no alternative.

Wow, just stumbled into this thread. It could have been helpful when I was messing around with my new PSP slim. I ended up buying a full Pandora set from a seller on Amazon. It came with everything and to me was waay better then cracking open a battery and hardmodding it myself. I was able to convert the battery back to a normal one - something you can't do with a hardmodded battery, nor the Datel battery. I've got the new 3.93 cfw on my PSP slim now and it rocks!

If you do end up buying a set like I did, just make sure you get a genuine Sony battery and not one of those knockoff ones, or the Datel. Unless you want to be stuck with a paperweight after you're done with the cfw installation. The genuine batteries can be converted to a normal one, which is sweet to have a spare.

Thanks OP for this informative post!

Wow, just stumbled into this thread. It could have been helpful when I was messing around with my new PSP slim. I ended up buying a full Pandora set from a seller on Amazon. It came with everything and to me was waay better then cracking open a battery and hardmodding it myself. I was able to convert the battery back to a normal one - something you can't do with a hardmodded battery, nor the Datel battery. I've got the new 3.93 cfw on my PSP slim now and it rocks!

If you do end up buying a set like I did, just make sure you get a genuine Sony battery and not one of those knockoff ones, or the Datel. Unless you want to be stuck with a paperweight after you're done with the cfw installation. The genuine batteries can be converted to a normal one, which is sweet to have a spare.

hopefully you can still find some useful information here in the thread. It was a sticky until the Monday, when GTA4 launched @ midnight. no word on if this will be returned to sticky status or not when GTA4 traffic dies off. I think everyone is off playing ATM.

I hard modded my battery and even though I cannot make it work like a normal battery, it still has its uses. I have already un-bricked a friends PSP phat, so i've already gotten two uses out of it. I guess it depends on how much you value having a permanent pandora's kit laying around. Personally, I value it quite a bit, just in case...

Although, I wish I would have bought one of those Datel batteries, it is definitely a better deal just because it is already hard modded.

still no word on when we will get returned, or if we will get returned to being a sticky.

sabregen, what do you know about ripping psp games and turning them into eboots? i would like to turn my legit copies of patapon and disgaea into eboots so i dont have to carry the umds around.

Just rip your UMD's to .iso and put them in a directory named ISO at the root of your memory stick. Recent firmwares even include a ripper you can access by pressing select from the XMB.

You can also compress UMD .iso's to save space. Search the web for "cso compressor".

do any of you guys know of a way to set up a psp as a media extender. i know that you are supposed to be able to stream TV to a psp via a location free base planyer, but at 300$ thats a tad expensive for just that feature (i.e not just streaming my media, but live tv or radio, basicly any thing that i can get thought windows media center (or even sage tv thought i have not played with this option yet)

i should add that this is without a ps3 as well, as i do not have one and do not plan purchaseing one any time soon

pimp dose not seem to support any sort of connection to live tv.

any ideas?

sabregen, what do you know about ripping psp games and turning them into eboots? i would like to turn my legit copies of patapon and disgaea into eboots so i dont have to carry the umds around.

See page #1 of the guide for updated guide info. Eboot conversion is listed there. I don't know of anything off of the top of my head that converts the UMD ISOs into eboots, specifically, nor have I tried to convert a UMD ISO to an eboot. It's kind of an extra step at this point. Once you load CFW, just hit the select button from the main screen to chage the USB mode to read the UMD instead of the memory stick, and your UMD then appears as an ISO to your computer. I use this method to put my games on my laptop drive, and then just throw the ISO on my memory stick when I want to play the game. As long as you don't delete the save game for the ISO you're using, you can delete the ISO safely, and when you put it back, to play it the next time, the saves will still work.

do any of you guys know of a way to set up a psp as a media extender. i know that you are supposed to be able to stream TV to a psp via a location free base planyer, but at 300$ thats a tad expensive for just that feature (i.e not just streaming my media, but live tv or radio, basicly any thing that i can get thought windows media center (or even sage tv thought i have not played with this option yet)

i should add that this is without a ps3 as well, as i do not have one and do not plan purchaseing one any time soon

pimp dose not seem to support any sort of connection to live tv.

any ideas?

I'm waiting for a revision of the CFW that suports Flash media in the browser. When it does, you'll be able to stream everything over Orb. Orb supports any file format that you can load a codec on the host system for, and also supports TV Tuners. The Broswers on the PSP does not currently support Flash though, so only time will tell.

So after 6 months of owning the PSP I have finally started to catch up on the many many many great titles and am currently stuck(becuase I suck) on WildArms so time to crack open some emulators for my fun waiting in line I like to do over the weekends.

Last time I tried emulators they didn't work time for round 2

Edit:

sNes worked
Gens worked

What is the best NES one?

So after 6 months of owning the PSP I have finally started to catch up on the many many many great titles and am currently stuck(becuase I suck) on WildArms so time to crack open some emulators for my fun waiting in line I like to do over the weekends.

Last time I tried emulators they didn't work time for round 2

Edit:

sNes worked
Gens worked

What is the best NES one?

The one I am currently using (don't have my PSP with me, right now) is Snes9x. I think the official release name of the project is like Snes9x TYL or something like that.

The SNES has some crazy slowdown in it making it unusable for me. The Jnes doesn't have anything to make the game looks any better so I pass on using that as well.

The Gens works perfectly and is quite shocking just how good it makes the games looks.

Back