putting an old vid card in a decent pc...

Griffen

Limp Gawd
I'm building my parents a better computer out of some of my old parts. This will replace their aging celeron 400..

It will be an amd 1600+ on an epox kt400 board.

My question is: should I get them a modern mid-low end video card just to keep everything relatively up to date (my parents don't play any games, aside for solitare ;) ) Or I could just throw in the same voodoo banshee 16mb card they're using now.

Will using the older card have any effect on overall system performance, or performance in programs like photoshop?

Unless you can get a video card for cheap, stick with what they have.

their computer is running xp pro right now with that banshee card with no problems

I would just stick with the banshee... if they want something faster later on they could always upgrade.. as it sounds right now, they don't seem to need it. That is, as long as the card puts out decent "quality" video. I have an older pc that I set up to use as a server of sorts and it has an old Trident AGP card in it. It puts out what i'd call shitty color. I never had a banshee, but as long as they are comfortable running there computer with the lower color depth, lower resolution/refresh rate of an older card, just leave it in there. Like I said before, if it turn out that they want more, you can always pop a newer card in later...

The voodoo is probably on the old 3.3V spec. I've never dealt with that particular board but seeing that it is KT400, you should check to see whether it will accept a 3.3v card or not.

Back