Put Far Cry on DVD

Cabn12

Limp Gawd
I was annoyed that Far Cry came on 5 CDs and not on a DVD so I figured out how to put it on to a DVD. This is how I did it.

I extracted all 5 cds into a temp folder on my desktop an then used Orca.exe Free from Microsoft to edit the Far Cry.MSI file. Found on disk one. In the Media Table change all the volume Labels to FARCRY and Change all the DiskPrompts to FarCryDVD. Keep every thing else the same. Then burn the contents of the temp folder to a DVD make sure you label the DVD FARCRY. you can replace the Far Cry.exe with a NOCD EXE in the temp folder you created before you burn the DVD.

It comes on DVD... I have my DVD copy sitting right here.

Not all people got on dvd. There is a lot of people that have 5 disks. Like me. I would like to convert it to dvd too cuz its stupid to switch between 5 disks to install the game.

Cabn12 said:
I was annoyed that Far Cry came on 5 CDs and not on a DVD so I figured out how to put it on to a DVD. This is how I did it.

I extracted all 5 cds into a temp folder on my desktop an then used Orca.exe Free from Microsoft to edit the Far Cry.MSI file. Found on disk one. In the Media Table change all the volume Labels to FARCRY and Change all the DiskPrompts to FarCryDVD. Keep every thing else the same. Then burn the contents of the temp folder to a DVD make sure you label the DVD FARCRY. you can replace the Far Cry.exe with a NOCD EXE in the temp folder you created before you burn the DVD.

What? Do you install it everyday? Wow you have to put in all 5 Disks ONCE to install. OMG what a pain! I mean seriously, it would be more of an annoyance if I had to install the game everyday for week, then I'd want it on one disk. But if you're like most ppl, you install it and put the disks away. Am I missing something?

i belive most people have to reformat at least every 2 months.
Well i do anyhow and its a pain in the ass to install UT2k4 over and over 6DISKS!!!
And those assholes made it so you can't make it into a DVD yourself Either.

extremekiller said:
Well i do anyhow and its a pain in the ass to install UT2k4 over and over 6DISKS!!!

Let me be the first to say it:
What the hell are you doing to need a reinstall every two months?
:confused:

If you're running Win 9x, okay, I can kinda understand. For Win2k/XP, you shouldn't have to do that unless you're seriously screwing something up. Except for swapping in new motherboards, I don't reinstall unless I absolutely have to.

It's not a crime to have a backup. It's a real pain in the ass to keep track of 5 or 6 CDs.

heatsinker said:
It's not a crime to have a backup. It's a real pain in the ass to keep track of 5 or 6 CDs.

I don't think anyone has disagreed with that.

extremekiller said:

LOL every two months. If you do that, then you have too much time on your hands.

I reformate about every 2 weeks or so sometimes every 4 weeks. I notice a big difference in how the system runs, if I go over 3 weeks I can feel it becoming slower whcih i dont like So I reinstall. Sometimes it takes 5 or 6 tries to get a good install the way i like it.

heatsinker said:

Actually it is a Crime farcry has copy protection(Safe disc V3) and since its protected it is illegal under the DMCA(digital millenium copyright act) It is actually illegal to bgackup anything copyrighted if you dont belive me

Read here

Have fun http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf

for those that dont reformat every few months, try it and see for yourself how much smoother everything feels. and i dont do this because i get virus' or spyware, everything honestly does feel smoother and faster

dawtips said:
for those that dont reformat every few months, try it and see for yourself how much smoother everything feels. and i dont do this because i get virus' or spyware, everything honestly does feel smoother and faster

Placebo effect.

PerfectCr said:
Placebo effect.
That's part of it, yes. Another cool trick to make everything feel speedy is to disable transition effects. It gives me that "holy crap that window moved fast" feeling. :D

OK I figured this one out a little while after you posted and then of course saw the post. :rolleyes:

Now how do you do UT2004?

My old Dellbox didn't have spyware/adware/virus/various junk. Started up and ran 20 programs max. I hadn't reformatted her once...not in 3 years. Reformatting is overhyped. Just don't be an asshat when you're on the net [ie download garbage] and you'll be fine.

When you say you extracted the cd's did you copy them or unzip pk files and such?

Nice tip man. Thanks!

The Batman said:
My old Dellbox didn't have spyware/adware/virus/various junk. Started up and ran 20 programs max. I hadn't reformatted her once...not in 3 years. Reformatting is overhyped. Just don't be an asshat when you're on the net [ie download garbage] and you'll be fine.

Yeah i still have the SAME win2k install from like my duron 600 days! :eek: I've gone through about hmm 3+ mobo/cpu upgrades and no problems that couldn't be solved and still runs doom 3 on my older video card pretty good even at 1024x768x2xAA! soo uhh yeah. They make those "idiot outside" stickers for a reason! Formatting is like suicide, only losers do it because its the "easy" way out! :p

texuspete00 said:
When you say you extracted the cd's did you copy them or unzip pk files and such?

Nice tip man. Thanks!

Just copy the entire contents of the all the CDs into one folder

Jailer said:
OK I figured this one out a little while after you posted and then of course saw the post. :rolleyes:

Now how do you do UT2004?

Try changing the Volume Label (or labels I dont have UT2004 to check) to UT2004 and just make sure you label the DVD UT2004.
I figured it out on a trial and error basis using a DVD+RW modifing the Far Cry.MSI file and copying it to the disk until I got it right. It only took me three tries. I'm going to try it on "The Simpson Hit and Run" tonight :D

PerfectCr said:
Placebo effect.
Windows accumulates "junk" when programs are installed and uninstalled. If I swap out a motherboard or videocard, I reinstall. It's as simple as that. Perhaps it goes back to the days when I was building PCs where everything didn't happen instantanously. Optimization was a bigger deal. I like to know that my new peripheral isn't getting BSODs in games because of some rouge DLL installed by a driver two years ago.

I'd content it's not a placebo effect, but more likely the fact that you can't tell the difference.

iZero said:
Windows accumulates "junk" when programs are installed and uninstalled. If I swap out a motherboard or videocard, I reinstall. It's as simple as that. Perhaps it goes back to the days when I was building PCs where everything didn't happen instantanously. Optimization was a bigger deal. I like to know that my new peripheral isn't getting BSODs in games because of some rouge DLL installed by a driver two years ago.

I'd content it's not a placebo effect, but more likely the fact that you can't tell the difference.

Sure, I reinstall when I get a new board. I was reponding to the dude who said he formatted and reinstalled every three months. I know all the stuff you are saying above. Who doesn't? That wasn't my point. People who reinstall every three months because "it's so much faster!!!!11", *that* is placebo effect.

Cabn12 said:
Try changing the Volume Label (or labels I dont have UT2004 to check) to UT2004 and just make sure you label the DVD UT2004.
I figured it out on a trial and error basis using a DVD+RW modifing the Far Cry.MSI file and copying it to the disk until I got it right. It only took me three tries. I'm going to try it on "The Simpson Hit and Run" tonight :D

There is no msi file for UT2004, that's why I was asking. I've tried several times and can't seem to get it to work. Plus there are 2 files with the same name on CD1 and CD 2 in the textures folder.

Nice job on the 3 tries. It took me about 4 or 5 over the course of 2 days in my spare time before I figured it out. I thought I made some big discovery until I came here and saw the post. :eek:

Any help anyone can give regarding how to do UT2004 would be appreciated.

Oh BTW, I reformat about every 6 months so naner naner naner. :D

Works great and all, but i would suggest getting orca.msi from something other than the link you have posted.....just search for orca.msi in google and you can save yourself the hassle of that sdk download junk. Thanks though, i did this with Doom 3 but wasn't sure the proper procedure on FarCry.

heatsinker said:
Scratch one and your screwed.

I put my 5 cd's on a DVD, I also did Doom3 onto DVD. As well as FLight Simulator. Less discs to carry around and I can save the originals in a safe place.

Oh yeah. I reinstall every 6 months or so, usually when I change a mobo/cpu combo out....

Back